Depression or Diet? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-27-2006, 05:55 PM

I am 18 years old and have been a pesco-vegetarian (I mostly eat salmon every once and while, don't eat eggs, and try not to eat dairy -- I'm lactose intolerant) for almost five years now. Ive always had low-energy, and before I stopped eating a lot of meat I was borderline diabetic. I still complain to my doctor about having no energy, and I then usually have my iron checked and Im always healthy

I was doing okay with my diet, until about a year ago -- I starting eating a lot of sweets and cheese again. This was due to me being upset that my best friend dropped out his Senior Year, and I hardly talked to anybody else. I also stopped exercising like I used to also. . . I didn't do anything. Most of the time I would just come home, lye in bed, and stair at my wall (depression? ).

First, I got this really bad cold, which went into my ears. The left side of my body then began to feel tingly. After a couple of months I felt as though bugs were crawling through my legs, mostly the left side. Along with this, my entire head felt incredibly clogged, I've always had allergies and sinus problems -- but this was extreme. When I moved my head any way it would make weird squishing noises.

I finally went to the doctor, she said I had a sinus infection, and that maybe a virus settled on a nerve. She proceeded to give me antibiotics. I took them for the prescribed time; and of course, I didn't feel better. Then I read about restless leg syndrome, which sounded like part of what I had -- so I started walking six-five days a week for 30 minutes.

After about a month the tingly feeling went away, but still every once in while it feels like a bug is crawling through different parts of my body or like a blood vessel is randomly pumping really hard, in the left leg or left side of my back. My head still makes squishing sounds and feels really clogged. Ive eliminated sugar, bleached flour, and dairy from my diet. And I try to ignore my annoyances, but it kind of makes me nervous about getting enough b12, since I have infections all the time. But Im not sure part of it maybe that I am depressed, because I dont have a lot of social interaction anymore. Bleh . . . I just dont feel I should be worrying about this crap since Im a teenager . . . am I dying or something XD? Any advice on how to feel better? Have more energy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

What is it that you DO eat? Lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains? Those will help you a lot. You're probably going to get people telling you that you should drop the fish, and I agree with that; fish has some nutritional value, but can be dangerous in high amounts, especially salmon.

If you're worried about B-12, you may want to get a supplement for that. You probably do have enough in you, but it wouldn't hurt. If you're in the US, see if you can find Red Star nutritional yeast, which is fortified with many vitamins including B12, and is a good thing to use as a condiment or an ingredient when cooking.

I know it's hard to make friends in high school. Are there any clubs that you could join where you might make new friends? What about after school, can you join clubs or classes that aren't related to school? Yoga, pottery, knitting, walking clubs, swimming, that sort of thing.
#3 Old 04-27-2006, 06:33 PM

This is my typical diet:

Breakfast: 1 Serving of Fruit and a serving of Oatmeal or Kashi cereal w/ soy milk

Lunch: A sandwich - 100% whole wheat(Peanutbutter&honey, legume spread) with a vegetable or fruit salad)

Dinner: 2 Servings of vegetables, something w/ at least a serving of legumes, somtimes a serving of rice, and another salad

What toxins does salmon have? Also, where is the best place to buy nutritional yeast? I'm afraid I have a yeast problem, b/c of all the antibotics- i've gained 20 pounds in the last year. How would nutritional yeast play in this?

Also, I've tried eating fermented Soybeans for b12, is it a good source? And if so, is there a way to cook it without it tasting utterly disgusting? XD (nyaa . . . man, I'm too wordy)

On the friend thing . . . I have about 5 weeks of school left until graduation. I probably should try to be more outgoing when I start college this summer, though . . . haha.

Thank you for the advice. It is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Heya Chibi. The 1st thing that popped into my mind when I read your post was an article I once read that said the most stressful events in a person's life are (1) moving, (2) new job, (3) graduation.

With that in mind, your upcoming graduation & life changes could be putting gnarly amounts of stress on your system. And that's when all sorts of things go haywire. (Although squishy noises in your head... whoa that's a new one )

Your diet looks pretty good to me. Like Elena said, maybe you can up your doses of fresh fruit. Or drink a lot of fruit juices. Drink lots of non-caffeine, non-dairy, non-alcoholic drinks. I've read some studies where depression/lethargy is caused by simple dehydration (who'da thought).

Salmon: I've heard it can contain toxic levels of mercury.

Oh, and try this... eat colourful stuff. Don't ask me why it boosts energy; it just does. (Btw, m&ms don't count )

And last question: have you had your blood pressure checked lately? Some of the symptoms you mentioned sound consistent with stage 2 hypertension. If so, it's not as bad as it sounds. Just cut out all sodium for a few weeks and your system should return to normal.

This has been a totally un-medical opinion.
#5 Old 04-28-2006, 03:56 PM

Man, I haven't had my blood pressure checked in years. I don't drink caffeine or alchohol (religous thing) anyway. I do cook with sea salt. How much salt do I actually need in a day? And, I am nervous a lot actually. Would nervousness cause low energy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatorMouse View Post

This has been a totally un-medical opinion.

Haha . . . and yet it's more advice than my doctor ever offered. Thank you.
#6 Old 05-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibiwawa View Post

Man, I haven't had my blood pressure checked in years. I don't drink caffeine or alchohol (religous thing) anyway. I do cook with sea salt. How much salt do I actually need in a day? And, I am nervous a lot actually. Would nervousness cause low energy?

Haha . . . and yet it's more advice than my doctor ever offered. Thank you.

I have suffered from severe anxiety for years and for me, nervousness and anxiety really drain me. After a particularly trying episode or day, my nerves are shot and feel really tired.

Also, I read in one of my anxiety books awhile back that salt can increase nervousness/anxiety. I switched to Morton's Lite salt and it did seem to help. I can't remember what book it was though. I did switch to iodized sea salt about six months ago with no ill effects but I ran out of that and had to start using some regular table salt I had and I started having heart palpitations and more agitation in general. I switched back to sea salt again and I do feel a bit better.

I don't know if any of this has any relevance to your situation at all and this is only just my experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page