Most important thing to avoid for weightloss - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-25-2006, 02:43 PM

What thing do you all feel is the most important to avoid when one is trying to lose weight? I.E. Fat, Carbs, etc.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

For me it has to be saturated fat - cakes, biscuits ...... well basically junk food laden with fat. If I cut down on that and eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables and carbs I always lose weight.
#3 Old 04-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

In my opinion, the most important things to avoid are refined carbs (things made with white flour and white sugar) and hydrogenated oils.

The best way to lose weight in a healthy manner and to keep it off long term is to eat moderate quantities of high quality carbs, protein and fat. Eat lots of a variety of veggies, fruit, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. If you add oil to anything, do so in small quantities and don't eat deep fried things.

If anyone tells you to avoid all carbs or all fats they are misinformed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-25-2006, 03:23 PM

the closer you can get to consuming only whole plant foods, the closer you will move toward your optimal weight. basically, what eggplant said. don't avoid any macronutrient (carb, pro, fat) exclusively and, if possible, include all 3 at every meal. coupling fats with your nutrient dense veggies and fruits will allow better nutrient absorption and, therefor, better satiation. also, be sure to include sunlight in your diet! :]

please, strive for improved health. don't focus on your weight. consume an abundance of whole plant foods and let the amazing nutrition they supply fuel your excercise. to optimize your health, consistent diet and excercise will now become your lifestyle. in other words, you don't go out of your way to include them but, instead, they are the foundation of your day!
#5 Old 04-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Exercise is the most important thing. I find that the more fiber, protein, and veggies I eat, I lose weight. Staying away from refined carbs and cutting back on calories.
#6 Old 04-25-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

In my opinion, the most important things to avoid are refined carbs (things made with white flour and white sugar) and hydrogenated oils.

The best way to lose weight in a healthy manner and to keep it off long term is to eat moderate quantities of high quality carbs, protein and fat. Eat lots of a variety of veggies, fruit, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. If you add oil to anything, do so in small quantities and don't eat deep fried things.

If anyone tells you to avoid all carbs or all fats they are misinformed.

Could you further explain what you mean by high quality carbs? Thank you kindly.
#7 Old 04-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

a high quality carb is whole grain, whole wheat, whole grain oats, brown rice, buckwheat groats, quinoa, whole wheat cous cous, barley, etc. you want to try to avoid white flours, white pastas, etc, as the refining strips the grain of a lot of nutrients as well as fiber and flavor and it goes through your "system" faster - spikes your blood sugar, rather than being digested and absorbed slowly..
#8 Old 04-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

everything in moderation. i find when i eat what i want, im satisfied. whereas say you're trying to avoid a muffin. you often end up eating everything BUT, to try to fill the void!!

and yeah..high quality carbs and good food. its so sustaining and wonderful that theres no ROOM for junk, and you have more energy!!!

i dont cut carbs, or fat. just stick with whole foods.
#9 Old 04-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I have found that cutting qay down on fat and protein has been helpful (and exercising 4-6 times a week). So far I've lost 21 pounds since February.
#10 Old 04-25-2006, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Excersise.
#11 Old 04-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Xer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinguistixDE View Post

What thing do you all feel is the most important to avoid when one is trying to lose weight?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_clouds View Post

Excersise.

The most important thing to avoid is exercise?
#12 Old 04-26-2006, 02:37 AM
Veggie Regular

inactivity! (is what i think you mean )
#13 Old 04-26-2006, 04:41 AM
Banned

I agree...inactivity! And always denying yourself foods that you know that you like.....it doesn't do your psyche any good. E.g. if you like chocolate eat some once a week. If you exercise as well, you'll still lose weight.
#14 Old 04-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

actually, i think it's none of the above.

first, too much caloric restriction causes problems. too little caloric restriction causes problems. finding a balanced, appropriate caloric intake is what works.

second, once the appropriate caloric is determined, then you have to find the appropriate percentages of protien, fat, and carbohydrates to suit your constitution and physical needs. The amounts of each can very, but these averages work well: 25-30% protien, 15-30% fats (saturated and unsaturated; no hydrogenated or transfats), and 40-60% carbohydrates (both simple and complex).

third, once you've determined the appropriate percentages of macronutrients needed in your diet, you have to find the appropriate sources for you. It is best to avoid all processed and 'junk' foods in favor of highly nutritious 'whole foods' from natural sources. One can be vegan or any form of vegetarian (or omni) and be healthier on whole foods than on any other diet.

finally, the other side of this equation is exercise or activity. some people have active jobs and do not need 'added' exercise. if they're eating the right amount of calories from healthy food sources, then they'll come into physical balance (appropriate weight for them). if a person over-exercises, this can lead to health problems. if a person underexercises--that is that their job is sedentary AND they don't do enough exercise--then this also leads to health problems. So, it is appropriate to find the right balance of activity as well as diet.
#15 Old 04-26-2006, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

processed foods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page