Colloidal Silver..what a mess - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-18-2006, 09:52 PM

I happened across colloidal silver while looking for alternative remedies and I've been researching this stuff for the last few hours and I have to tell you...it's really bizarre.

Basically, back in the day folks would take colloidal silver suppliments because it was believed that anything in the body that wasn't supposed to be there, like diseases and bacteria, would attach themselves to the silver and be flushed out of the system.

In the fifties in was commonly used in nose sprays. In the 70's it was given to dairy cows as a way to battle tumors and growths like mastisis (sp?). The FDA put a stop to that.

I haven't figured out if the medicinal claims are true or not from my research, but people sure do sing it's praises. What I did find out is a bizarre side effect too much silver in the body will have on you.

The silver deposits itself deep within your tissue. You get this skin condition called argyria and it's permanent. You basically turn blue.

Here's a picture and the story of a lady it happened to. http://together.net/~rjstan/rose1.html

http://www.tomifobia.com/rosemary.html

She was prescribed nose spray as a child in the 50's.

Here's an even weirder story. Stan Jones is a politician from Montana. This guy had the brilliant idea in the late 90's to get a one up on the rest of society and prepare himself for Y2k and the rumored antibiotic shortage. He made his own silver remedy and not is a permanent shade of blue. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2297471.stm

I'm floored that when I searched for colloidal silver forums I happened across a slew of folks that take this stuff regularly for everything from asthma to cancer in hopes of a cure. Some folks even give it to their kids. To read some of the stuff on the net, it's the next big miracle cure for everything. Unreal. People are actually buying it.

Glad I did my research first. Wouldn't want to be blue or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-18-2006, 10:06 PM

I think colloidal silver is probably like many things: bad in excess, but can be highly therapeutic if used in small doses. I gargle with it if I feel an infection coming on and it seems to work every time. It's many years since I had either a cold or the flu. Interestingly, some of the large pharmaceutical companies are now bringing out products with silver in - for example, Elastoplast has put out sticking plaster with silver ions, because of the antibacterial action of the silver, so I guess the science stacks up.
#3 Old 04-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Beginner

Thank you for that. A few weeks ago I almost purchased Collodial Silver to treat an ear infection. Luckily the health food store didn't carry it, maybe that was why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I wanna be blue!!!

I have friends who swear by the stuff! that's just trippy!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#5 Old 04-18-2006, 11:11 PM

Might be a good gimmick for a blues singer.
#6 Old 04-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I wanna be blue!!!

My thoughts exactly. I looked into this a little (emphasis on a little) further and it seems that none of the people not suffer any other argyria-related ill effects aside from the blue skin...

I could land myself in Weird NJ as the Blue Girl of Laurel Springs...
#7 Old 04-20-2006, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I have seen those two people a million times. I belive those must be the only two people who have ever had an bad effect from silver. If that's the case then silver really is what the proponets claim.

Asprin is more dangerous than colloidal silver and millions of people take that.

I've taken silver before and I keep it on hand in case of very severe sicknesses (for example if the avian flu becomes a pandemic). I personally like Olive leaf, chapparall and garlic better as antibiotics and antivirals though.
#8 Old 04-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Is this the same form of silver you can now find in Band-Aids? Looks like mega-corporate America has joined the bandwagon. While being turned permanently blue-grey certainly doesn't seem like the best outcome, I can think of far worse side effects of some of the things out there, including some of the crap the pharmaceutical giants peddle. So I think it's a bit unfair of them to blame the supplement industry, like they're more evil than anyone else.
#9 Old 04-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Some biology folk ran a few tests on silver. I only included some of thier findings. Pretty interesting.

http://newton.uor.edu/facultyfolder/ben_aronson/scs/

Quote:
For a final note, here are the final conclusions. In respect to is Colloidal Silver an Antibiotic?: Colloidal Silver, while not as potent as Kanamycin, does contain some antibiotic properties. In addition, the Colloidal silver does not perform as well in lower doses. In response to is Colloidal Silver Toxic to Animals?: Colloidal Silver seems to reduce the number of bacteria in animals, while not killing them. In response to did Colloidal Silver Block Access to the Agar Plate for the C600?: Colloidal Silver does not block access to the nutrient plate and it does kill bacteria. In response to how does Colloidal Silver Compare to Other Known Antibiotics in Potency?: The less concentrated the antibiotic, the less effective it is. In addition, Streptomycin is notably stronger than Colloidal Silver.

#10 Old 04-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Grapefruit Seed Extract & Goldenseal (separately) are my antibiotics of choice.
#11 Old 04-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tova View Post

I have seen those two people a million times. I belive those must be the only two people who have ever had an bad effect from silver. If that's the case then silver really is what the proponets claim.

Asprin is more dangerous than colloidal silver and millions of people take that.

I've taken silver before and I keep it on hand in case of very severe sicknesses (for example if the avian flu becomes a pandemic). I personally like Olive leaf, chapparall and garlic better as antibiotics and antivirals though.

Actually, they aren't. I've seen four of them in my practise. All were using silvernitrate to ameliorate stomach ulcers when PPIs weren't available. One looked like a marsian and doctors not accustomed to the condition nearly tried to start a resuscitation.

Gold therapies BTW can cause a similar condition called chrysiasis.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#12 Old 04-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I was told by my doctor when I was younger to take the silver and use it topically to get rid of my plantar's warts, and it seemed to work.
#13 Old 04-23-2006, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

There's no problem with topical use, the problems arise with constant systemic use over a longer period of time.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page