Fighting Stress without MORE Stress - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-09-2006, 06:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Saw my naturopath last week re a battery of blood tests I had done, & there were 2 issues: I am extremely low in estrogen & DHEA (adrenal hormone).

She says it's because of stress, & I have to take action immediately or my adrenals will shut down & wreck my thyroid gland.

I'm popping all kinds of vitamins & minerals & herbs & homeopathics for this already (I had indications of this problem months ago), but the main issue is lifestyle.

Is anyone else trying to beat stress while living a v. hectic life?

What are you doing?

I work around 45 hours a week & try to sleep 9 hrs. a night. This leaves me 7 hrs a day for everything else, & I just feel overwhelmed.

I have been told to improve my adrenal health/avoid another nervous breakdown & thyroid disease, I must:

exercise daily,

meditate daily,

do relaxation exercises (stretching, deep breathing, yoga),

do something creative like art or writing,

& do social & fun things.

Meanwhile, my apartment is turning into a total slum because I just don't have the energy or ability to take proper care of it.

I can't justify relaxation activities when my apt. looks like hell, & the apt. stresses me out incredibly w/ fears of eviction on top of the nastiness of living in a self-created dump.

I will make any excuse under the sun to avoid exercise/meditation/relaxation activities/cleaning.

Poor adrenal function causes tiredness that sleep won't relieve, so there's a real catch-22 at work here.

I don't know what to do. I'm scared if I keep pushing myself the way I do with my v. competitive, performance-based job, bf who lives 2 hrs away who I visit every week, care for my 7 pets, & juggling my appalling finances, without somehow being able to do all this stress-reducing stuff I find wimpy & frustrtating, I'm going to end up back in the mental hospital.

How can a person w/ a busy, performance-based life manage to incorporate stress-reduction in a way they can follow consistently?

Thanks to anyone who can help with this.

When I ask professionals for help they say "just do it", but I always end up *thinking* of "just doing it".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2006, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Make sure you exercise and make sure you do deep breathing exercises. When you start to feel stressed, start taking deep breaths. It really helps a lot. Exercise also will make you feel much happier and better able to "conquer the world". When I feel stressed exercising to some music I love really helps.
#3 Old 04-09-2006, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawgirl View Post

Make sure you exercise and make sure you do deep breathing exercises. When you start to feel stressed, start taking deep breaths. It really helps a lot. Exercise also will make you feel much happier and better able to "conquer the world". When I feel stressed exercising to some music I love really helps.

Thank you rawgirl.

But what I mean to say is I never feel like exercising, deep breathing, etc.

I just want to go go go at work, travel, arguing w/ people, etc.- it's my aggressive personality that drives me to this stuff, & turns me off doing relaxation & exercise.

How do you get yourself motivated to do these healthy, relaxing things?

I find I will procrastinate, accept overtime at work, sleep- ANYTHING to avoid exercise/meditation/journalling/etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-09-2006, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I know it's tough and the first few days are the hardest. But if you can hang in for a few days, it gets easier and habits get established. Make it fun and special in some way. Find some sort of exercise or sports you enjoy. Make a habit of doing your breathing exercises in bed before you go to sleep (though I usually fall asleep while I'm doing them). Read books about the benefits of exercise and meditation so you can get excited about doing them. When I don't feel like exercising, I will sometimes get out a book that lists the benefits of exercise and read a few pages to get pumped up. If you can get it incorporated into your routine, it will be easy. You'll do it out of habit.
#5 Old 04-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Beginner

You should make small changes. When you began to see the results, you will be motivated to do more. For example:

-Meditate for 5 minutes when you wake up and before you go to bed.

-Exercise 3-4 days a week for 20 minutes.

-Do relaxation exercises 3-4 days a week on the days you do not exercise.

-Write a small paragraph in your journal. No need to write a book!

Slow, baby steps are the way to go!
#6 Old 04-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you Black Velvetten (love your name!!) & rawgirl.

Here's an update: I saw an occupational therapist at the mental hospital for an hour 2 days ago. We drew a map of my weekly & daily schedules, & she says I should be doing less, not more.

She actually told me only to bother going to the gym once-2x a week, when it fits my schedule, & not to worry about wasting time when I sleep in 2 days a week.

I am seeing her again in a few weeks to learn how to clean an apt. properly (isn't that sad?? I really need the help though) & how to incorporate stress-relieving activities w/o getting into a panic about them.
#7 Old 04-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you Black Velvetten (love your name!!) & rawgirl.

Here's an update: I saw an occupational therapist at the mental hospital for an hour 2 days ago. We drew a map of my weekly & daily schedules, & she says I should be doing less, not more.

She actually told me only to bother going to the gym once-2x a week, when it fits my schedule, & not to worry about wasting time when I sleep in 2 days a week.

I am seeing her again in a few weeks to learn how to clean an apt. properly (isn't that sad?? I really need the help though) & how to incorporate stress-relieving activities w/o getting into a panic about them.
#8 Old 04-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Organica, I don't have any advice but wanted to let you know you aren't the only one that has trouble dealing. You sound exactly like me (Except lucky me, I already have the f*d up thryoid)
#9 Old 04-17-2006, 03:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Get some extra sleep. You seem to like to sleep, not to journal, meditate, do yoga, or exersise. Of all those things, the one you like to do is the one that provides true refreshing healing. I work 45 hours or more per week and try to sleep as long as I can (8-9 hours) plus garden, do art, rearrange and do house repairs-- (I have the weekend off). I think what you need to alleviate stress is a small lap dog. They need exersise, but not too much and are great for stress reduction. You walk around the block a few times, it takes 10 minutes or less. The more you do it the more you get into nature and the whole "walking" thing. Think about it. I am sure there is a small lap dog out there somewhere with your name on it. I like chihuahuas and pugs, but frankly any stress reducing lap dog will do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page