Quitting Coffee (support thread) - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

#91 Old 08-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Banned

when i go on a no coffee kick, i try to use herbal teas. it's impossible for me to quit because i work nights and i'm always shifting my sleep around. it's terrible for your health, and my crutch is ... coffee!

this is my area of weakness. black coffee. gallons of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 08-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

^Have you tried making your own soy frapps and making them caffeine free and a bit healthier?

I haven't, but that's a good idea!

I was thinking about drinking more chai tea with soy or almond milk too, it's sweet and creamy and comforting. I've finally finished over 10 months of night shifts so I'm trying to slowly wean myself back to a more sane caffeine level

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#93 Old 08-27-2011, 01:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I don't know if I can give up caffeine entirely but I NEED to stop drinking those cursed soy frappuccinos, I've been buying way too many of them and I have totally gained some weight as a result. I'm too scared to even look up how bad for me those things are, I'm going to try really hard to switch to tea. Or at least just one cup of coffee a day with a tiny bit of sugar.

Has anyone had luck just drinking one cup of coffee or tea a day and not going overboard? I'd be fine with maintaining that I think, I can always drink caffeine free tea later in the day.

http://www.frappuccino.com/products/blended-frappuccino

Nec Aspera Terrent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 08-27-2011, 04:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I had not had coffee for weeks since my oral sugury my husband has made some and I am wanting to attept a small cup.
#95 Old 08-27-2011, 04:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I was thinking about drinking more chai tea with soy or almond milk too, it's sweet and creamy and comforting.

<I am a chai addict. If you cut me open my veins will bleed chai.
#96 Old 08-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Noooo, I don't want to know!!!

Actually, for a tall that's not AS terrible as I thought. Still super unhealthy and I'm going to stop but the numbers I was imagining were more grotesque for some reason. Still not surprised I gained 5 pounds chugging those things every day, oi

I'm having a cup of English Breakfast right now and then I'm going to switch to herbal tea or water for the rest of the day, trying to strengthen my resolve.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#97 Old 08-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

WOEihtOEURBoeurb EOUG OEURGB OEURB (insert sound of head banging on desk). Was feeling great. So much better. And then..this morning.. no. It's such a coffee morning. I could totally have one cup and that'd still mean having scaled down. AND it's only one day.
BUT.. I guess...it's better to get it out of system or something... I ... yeah...

Just had to rant :I
#98 Old 08-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Impeach the gangster

Just paid almost fourteen dollars for a can of coffee. That's a good incentive to cut back.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#99 Old 08-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

#100 Old 08-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular

i had 2 cups over the weekend and diet coke, was feeling very drained and yes thought the coffee buzz would help. well because of the difficult time mixed with the caffeine I am now even more exhausted.

NEVER LEARN....

so for the last 2 days back on the NO caffeine and even thou I am tired at least not so anxious and jittery.
#101 Old 08-30-2011, 01:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

<I am a chai addict. If you cut me open my veins will bleed chai.

I love my morning cup of chai. It has just the right amount of caffeine so I do not go insane.

I kind of miss coffee but it is no good for the anxiety.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#102 Old 08-30-2011, 04:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie25 View Post

WOEihtOEURBoeurb EOUG OEURGB OEURB (insert sound of head banging on desk). Was feeling great. So much better. And then..this morning.. no. It's such a coffee morning. I could totally have one cup and that'd still mean having scaled down. AND it's only one day.
BUT.. I guess...it's better to get it out of system or something... I ... yeah...

Just had to rant :I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Just paid almost fourteen dollars for a can of coffee. That's a good incentive to cut back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled_expatriate View Post

I mostly consume coffee if it's mixed in with ice cream. Unquestionably addictive and I have the recently added pounds to prove it.

Ok that sounds really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasandra View Post

i had 2 cups over the weekend and diet coke, was feeling very drained and yes thought the coffee buzz would help. well because of the difficult time mixed with the caffeine I am now even more exhausted.

NEVER LEARN....

so for the last 2 days back on the NO caffeine and even thou I am tired at least not so anxious and jittery.

Next time you feel tempted just look back on how crappy you felt the last time you slipped up.
#103 Old 08-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Beginner

I've been cutting back lately - I was drinking about 3-5 cups a night (I work evenings) which is really a bit much, it's been messing with my sleep a little. Been going ok, though I've been getting a bit dozy at times

If I was where I would be, then I'd be where I am not, here I am where I must be, where I would be I cannot.
#104 Old 08-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

I love my morning cup of chai. It has just the right amount of caffeine so I do not go insane.

I kind of miss coffee but it is no good for the anxiety.

Yeah, I find the chai is working for me. It only has a small amount of caffeine without all the sugar and fat and calories of the frappuccino's I was getting before. I definitely feel motivated to stick to this for now

#105 Old 09-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Back, to post encouragement to those struggling and say BY JOVE was it worth it. I feel so much better . I didn't think I felt that bad..but I did! My sleep is better, my appetite is more regular, I feel much more on an even keel and I don't notice 3:30 or 5pm as much crash-wise!! I do feel a little..low sometimes and it coincided with quitting coffee, but I assume that'll disappear.

I did have a cup this morning socially and really 'felt' it,for the first time in years. Not actually all that pleasant!

You can do it, Quitters ! Worth every headache !
#106 Old 09-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm seriously considering jumping on this bandwagon. I don't drink much coffee anyway, and when I do it tends to make me feel weird. I might as well just give it up entirely. It would make way more sense to just get enough sleep in the first place.

"I am a woman of science. At least that's what my horoscope said."
#107 Old 09-05-2011, 01:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonerism View Post

I'm seriously considering jumping on this bandwagon. I don't drink much coffee anyway, and when I do it tends to make me feel weird. I might as well just give it up entirely. It would make way more sense to just get enough sleep in the first place.

Yes! And after several decades of being one of those 'don't need much sleep ' folk, I'm now the biggest fan of it there is. Sleep DOES make sense, and is glorious. Mmmm...
#108 Old 09-08-2011, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

On the quitting coffee bandwagon!
Trying to survive on just one cup today.

I am trying to replace coffee with exercise and more water- but I might need something (like a warm drink) to replace it for a bit. I am not a fan of cream or sugar in my coffee. Does anyone have suggestions as to some herbal teas that are not sweet and can taste bitter like coffee, but without the caffeine?

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#109 Old 09-08-2011, 12:00 PM

I quit drinking caffeine all together. i drank lots of caffeinated tea. The only way I really coped was getting decaf everything. Decaf green tea is amazing! Now I have decaf tea that I refrigerate, decaf chai tea and decaf green tea. After I stopped drinking caffeine I had headaches for about two and a half days straight, so be ready. Good luck!
#110 Old 09-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Would vitamin B6 help with energy to replace caffeine? Anybody try this?
I don't get to sleep at all with 2 babies- but I need to stay awake and focused.

#111 Old 09-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I quit drinking coffee 3 or 4 years ago because I was having health issues. Due to a heart condition, it was causing palpitations in addition to nosebleeds, headaches, diarrhea, etc... I had been drinking coffee for so long I didn't make the connetion with my health issues, but I read a book by Stephen Cherniske titled "Caffeine Blues" and decided to give it a try.

I have to say it was very hard. I felt withdrawal symptoms for almost a year, mostly fatigue. When I went vegetarian, it helped boost my energy level and sometimes I will drink some caffeinated tea if I need a lift, but more than 1/2 cup of coffee and all the symptoms come right back.

http://www.amazon.com/Caffeine-Blues...ref=pd_sim_b_2
#112 Old 09-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post

I quit drinking coffee 3 or 4 years ago because I was having health issues. Due to a heart condition, it was causing palpitations in addition to nosebleeds, headaches, diarrhea, etc... I had been drinking coffee for so long I didn't make the connetion with my health issues, but I read a book by Stephen Cherniske titled "Caffeine Blues" and decided to give it a try.

I have to say it was very hard. I felt withdrawal symptoms for almost a year, mostly fatigue. When I went vegetarian, it helped boost my energy level and sometimes I will drink some caffeinated tea if I need a lift, but more than 1/2 cup of coffee and all the symptoms come right back.

Wow Parsnip that's pretty bad. Glad to hear you are much better now since quitting and going vegetarian.
#113 Old 09-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Parody of the Mentat Mantra from Dune:
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed,
the lips acquire stains.
The stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
#114 Old 09-09-2011, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Day 3: 1/2 cup coffee today. My head is splitting open and its only 10am. I might wean myself more gradually- I guess I'm not built to give it up so easily.
Minor setback. Maybe try 1-2 cups for a couple weeks, then go down to 1/2 cup.

#115 Old 09-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

On the quitting coffee bandwagon!
Trying to survive on just one cup today.

I am trying to replace coffee with exercise and more water- but I might need something (like a warm drink) to replace it for a bit. I am not a fan of cream or sugar in my coffee. Does anyone have suggestions as to some herbal teas that are not sweet and can taste bitter like coffee, but without the caffeine?

You might try that chicory based hot drink. Sorry, I don't know what it's called exactly. It's like an instant coffee and it tastes quite a bit like coffee, but has no caffeine.
#116 Old 09-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeannem View Post

You might try that chicory based hot drink. Sorry, I don't know what it's called exactly. It's like an instant coffee and it tastes quite a bit like coffee, but has no caffeine.

This was not chicory based, but I remember a coffee-substitute from my childhood called Postum.

Quote:
Postum was a powdered roasted grain beverage sold by the Kraft Foods company as a coffee substitute. The caffeine-free beverage mix was created by Postum Cereal Company founder C. W. Post in 1895 and produced and marketed by Postum Cereal Company as a healthful alternative to coffee. (The Postum Cereal Company eventually became General Foods, which was bought by Kraft Foods.) Post was a student of Dr. John Harvey Kellogg who believed caffeine to be unhealthy. Postum was made from wheat bran, wheat, molasses, and maltodextrin from corn. It was discontinued in 2007.[1][2]

Postum enjoyed an enormous rise in sales and popularity in the U.S. during World War II as coffee became heavily rationed and people searched for a replacement.[3]

Before being discontinued in October 2007, it was sold in the U.S. and Canada. The 8 oz. (226 g) glass jar contained about 75 teaspoon servings. This 10‑calorie beverage was caffeine free, fat free, trans-fat free, sodium free, and kosher. In addition to the original flavor, there was also a coffee-flavored version.

In the wake of its discontinuance, a number of replica recipes for Postum have circulated across the Internet.[4]

'Ersatz'(tm) is currently marketed as a substitute for Postum. Ersatz is a gluten-free coffee substitute.

Postum was sometimes marketed by an invisible cartoon ghost named Mister Coffee Nerves, who would appear in situations wherein people were shown in uncomfortable life-situations (e.g., irritability, lack of sleep, lack of athletic prowess) due to their use of coffee and its negative effects. These cartoons always ended with the afflicted people switching to Postum and Mister Coffee Nerves running away until the next cartoon.[5]

(Emphasis added.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postum
#117 Old 09-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Currently, 'Ersatz' ('ErsatzCoffee') is the trademark of a coffee-substitute composed of roasted rice, roasted peas, and roasted chicory. Ersatz is a gluten-free substitute for 'Postum'.

Nestlé Caro is made of roasted barley, malted barley, chicory, and rye and enjoyed as a coffee substitute. [7][8]

Inka is a Polish drink made of rye, barley, chicory, and sugar beet, produced since 1971.

Barleycup is a similar product sold in the UK.

There are many dandelion based powdered coffee substitutes known as dandelion coffee.

Ayurvedic Roast is a coffee substitute which borrows from both the American tradition of using roasted barley, rye, and chicory, and the Indian Ayurvedic system of health by adding the traditional herbs of ashwagandha, shatavari, and brahmi.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_substitute
#118 Old 09-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

So uh.... how long do you reckon it takes to become addicted??
'cause I quite successfully and felt amazing, then yesterday and today had a social cup ( what a buzz! Fun and I'd forgotten what that felt like because it hasn't buzzed me for years . Wouldn't wanna feel that way every day though ) and today's Saturday and I could really go for one more....
Oh dear.

Also, french press coffee seems to be weaker than espresso. I thought it was the other way around? Mm. Maybe I'll just drink one of those every morning...
#119 Old 09-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

Day 3: 1/2 cup coffee today. My head is splitting open and its only 10am. I might wean myself more gradually- I guess I'm not built to give it up so easily.
Minor setback. Maybe try 1-2 cups for a couple weeks, then go down to 1/2 cup.

You can do it!!!
#120 Old 09-20-2011, 05:25 AM

I also tried to quit it but can't get success. I am so much addicted to coffee and smoking and my health is so much down because of them but I don't know how to quit it.

Chino Hills Boot Camp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page