Switching to vegetarian keeps weight down - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Switching to vegetarian keeps weight down

(Reuters)

Updated: 2006-03-17 08:49

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english...ent_542228.htm

If you want to keep the weight down, switch to a meat-free diet, scientists said on Tuesday.

Researchers who studied the eating habits of 22,000 people over five years, including meat eaters and vegetarians, found they all put on a few kilos but meat eaters who changed to a vegetarian or vegan diet gained the least.

"Contrary to current popular views that a diet low in carbohydrates and high in protein keeps weight down, we found that the lowest weight gain came in people with high intake of carbohydrates and low intake of protein," said Professor Tim Key.

The research compared weight gain among meat eaters, fish eaters, vegetarians and vegans -- who eat no animal products -- and is published in the International Journal of Obesity.

It showed that on average people gained 2 kilos (4.4 lb) over five years. None of the volunteers was overweight.

"The weight gain was less in the vegans than in the meat-eaters and somewhere in between in the other groups," said Key, of Britain's Cancer Research UK charity and the University of Oxford, who conducted the study.

"The lowest weight gain was in people who changed their diet to eat fewer animal products," he told Reuters. ...

The findings are from the British arm of EPIC (European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition), which is comparing the diets of 500,000 people in 10 countries to discover how diet is linked to cancer. ...

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english...ent_542228.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Beginner

I'm guessing it could be because of the increased fiber intake. Fiber contains a portion of a foods calories but we as humans don't have the enzyme to digest it....so it comes out as waste making the foods that are already low calorie and high fiber even lower in calories.
#3 Old 03-23-2006, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Didn't work for me because I ate so much cheese and I love carbs, so I didn't cut back on that either! When I switched to vegan I initially lost seven pounds fairly quickly, but once I learned how to cook all of the awesome vegan dishes, I pretty much put almost all of it back on! And I can veganize almost any dessert recipe! Me bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-26-2006, 05:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree. I've been a vegetarian my whole life (and vegan for 4 yrs) and I've always been skinny. I've always stayed at 115 my whole adult life without doing much working out.

The way I eat, if I was a meat eater or even a vegetarian, I would be very obese right now cuz I LOVE food!
#5 Old 03-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Banned

I have found this to be very true. When I left meat behind it was for my health. I came here and was educated to the mercy of meatless living. But the health effects were still worth it. I have lost a lot of weight, my chol. is normal again and I just feel younger. Veggie fats just don't mess with your body like animal fats do. It is a win/win situation all around.
#6 Old 03-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

It has worked for me. I lost some weight, switched to a vegetarian diet and haven't gained it back. I eat a lot of carbs, but also make sure to include protein and fat, but the bulk of my diet is complex carbs.
#7 Old 03-28-2006, 06:23 PM

Hm. I'm in the same boat as Karen. When I left meat behind, cheese filled up much of it's place in my diet. I gained quickly and stayed heavy. Veganism helped to shed some pounds, but I'm definitely no skinny minny.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#8 Old 03-29-2006, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Awwww.... Jen your avatar is so very sweet.

For me, I gained weight. But a big part of that is that I stopped working and had the time to cook and bake. Baking is my downfall. Plus I used to work downtown and I rode the bus and walked quite a bit during the day, and now....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page