Milk and Skin Issues - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had eczema for a long time, and it comes and goes, mostly on my neck. But lately, it's erupted everywhere: my scalp, my arms, my torso, my neck, my back, behind my ears... and I don't think I can take the itching and scabbiness much longer . I've heard that milk can cause skin problems, so I'm trying to cut down my dairy intake. My questions are: Is that true? How does milk cause skin problems? Since not drinking milk, nothing has improved, if anything, it's gotten worse. I've also heard that tanning can help, but I'm not sure about that... I've never tanned before and I get really yellow when I tan... anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem and how I can fix it. I haven't always had eczema, and I really want to get it under control, if not banish it completely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-20-2006, 01:57 AM
Veggie Regular

hi! according to one reliable source (www.emedicine.com), those who suffer from chronic atopic dermatitis have an increased sensitivity in general, and the most common causes of reactions with food are "peanuts, eggs, milk, soya, fish, and seafood."

my guess at the reason - milk contains many proteins and compounds that are normal to baby cows, but foreign to our immune system. because they are regarded as intruders, the immune system can go a little haywire and it can cause some local and systemic reactions, like you described.

you also have to keep in mind any new things you might be in contact with in general, from foods to clothing to personal products or shampoo or something like that. we are in contact with so many potential allergens every day that it can be hard to isolate one cause. but, try very carefully to think of ANYthing new you have been in contact with.

i wouldn't ever recommend tanning. one of my professors said tanning beds should be banned because of the ridiculously increased chances of skin cancer. i would also see a doctor, if at all possible, as it may actually be some sort of dermatitis infection that could be treated.

hope this helps!
#3 Old 03-20-2006, 02:48 AM
Veggie Regular

peanuts? really?? my skin's BETTER when im going through half a jar of (natural!) PB a day. schmeh . i figured it was like..the fats or something. each to their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-20-2006, 04:37 PM

I breakout when I eat peanut butter.

Maybe the cleanser or other products that you use on your face can aggravate your skin.

Try neem soap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page