Tiredness, Lightheadedness, Dizziness, and all around Weakness - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi! First, I would like to appologize for yet another one of these threads. I understand that a lot seem to be having these problems, but I just felt that posting this myself will make me feel more secure.

I am a 17 year old male. I don't get much excercise at all. (AKA : I am lazy ) and I eat a regular three meals a day, with snacks in-between. Lately (actually, for a while now) I have been experiencing quite tiredness and weakness. Sometimes even just walking around can be a tire. It is usually in the mornings, and cools off later in the day, but it never really fully goes away.

Besides the tiredness, I do get lightheaded sometimes. It is not a full-time thing, and only seems to happen when I stand up from a sitting or laying position, but it worries me, and it is down-right annoying! Sometimes I nearly black-out.

Now, on other threads I have read about anemia - or shortage of iron. I doubt this is the problem, but lately I have been taking in extra nutritional yeast to make sure, as it has a lot of iron.

I have also heard that it could be a shortage of energy. Again, I pretty much do nothing. I sit on my toosh most of the day, and the little walking I do get is around school and the house.

I thought this might be due to the eating-type problems I had before, but I have recovered from those and am eating a normal diet now. I just don't know what is going on... I don't want it to get worse, I know that much.

So, any ideas? The doctor would probably be a good start, but I know that my family doesn't, unfortunately have enough money to take me. Thank you rising health-care costs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

hi! it sounds like, for the symptoms you describe, there are a spectrum of things it could be. among many other things, it could be anemia, heart problems, blood vessel problems, psychological illness, low blood sugar, autonomic nervous system problems, or it might even be benign and go away. i hate to have to tell you this, considering your situation, but i think you should see a doctor - considering you don't really exercise, and it just started, it is something you should get officially checked out.

as far as $, is there some sort of county public health clinic you could visit? i think they usually charge you just a small co-pay. alternately, is there some way you could get public insurance?

good luck
#3 Old 03-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, it has been actually going on for a while now, but thanks for your response.

I will check into the public health clinic thing, and ask my parents about the health insurance thing also.

Like I said, I doubt it is anemia, and I also doubt it is shortage of calories. I do, however, question the low blood sugar. Can that just show up, or does that show up from birth? All this started happening about five months ago, and it seems to only be getting worse. What are some symptoms of low blood sugar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

hi! when you have low blood sugar, it activates your sympathetic nervous system, so you start sweating, your heart beats faster, kind of the 'fight or flight' sort of stuff. however, you may feel these things, and have somewhat normal blood sugar (because that response releases stored glucose into your blood so you have some energy).

but, there are MANY things it could be, not just low sugar. (i was just giving a few of many examples! ) the way you describe your symptoms, especially with the 5 month duration, it still could be anything, not necessarily present from birth but something that could have developed recently. i think you should do whatever you can to see a doctor, as this is not normal and it's not going away after 5 months.

if you don't mind my asking, are you feeling any other symptoms at all (even if they seem unrelated) ? also, are you taking any medications?
#5 Old 03-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Not really. I am taking no medications...

Lets see... Other symptoms.... I can't really think of anything. Besides what I already said, I seem to be ok. Some people have noticed some dark half-circles around my eyes (just under them) but I believe that that is just from a lack of adequate sleep. I usually only get about seven hours of sleep a night.

Sometimes I have bad night-sweats, but I am not sure if that is just the heat of my room, or what. It is possible, as my room is sometimes very warm.

Also, I am cold all the time. Again, this could also be linked to my weight. It is sort-of low. As I mentioned, I am recovering from an eating problem, so my weight is low. However, it is slowly going up, which is good news in light of everything else, I hope.

Like I said, not noticing much else besides what I described. It just feels like I need a REALLY long nap, or something. It feels like that pretty much up until about four pm, and then I sort of "perk-up", usually.

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.
#6 Old 03-15-2006, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

have you checked your blood pressure/heart rate? are you getting enough protein?
#7 Old 03-16-2006, 02:24 AM
Veggie Regular

confusing! i'm just going out on a limb here. BUT, the things you describe make me think of hypothyroidism. namely, circles around eyes, fatigue, night sweats (which could be some manifestion of hypoglycemia) and your cold feelings.

another BUT - then again - some or all of these could be unrelated and i could be completely wrong! there are lots of hormonal, neurological, and other conditions that can cause stuff like this. SO, seeing a doctor is a must because i think you would need a full checkup + blood tests and all that.

hope this helps and good luck!
#8 Old 03-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

AussyJ: get your thyroid levels cheked STAT

the symptoms you are describing are symptoms of a thyroid disorder..
#9 Old 03-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I was a lot like you too. But it was from inactivity. I started exercising in September and my energy levels are MUCH higher. Even when I have a bad night's sleep, if I can just get myself over to the elliptical, after I'm finished I feel SO much better.

Laziness breeds further laziness, in my experience. But that's just what happened with me.
#10 Old 03-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

The best doctor in the world couldn't diagnose you with just what you've said. Ideally you should go to the doctor and get some tests done. Trying to find a free/cheap clinic is a good idea.

If it makes you feel any better if you end up in the ER they have to give you stabilizing treatment. Just don't bring your ID and say you're John Smith so they don't try to stick you with the bill.
#11 Old 03-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I felt like this a while back. My culinary arts teacher took one look at me and said that I was low on blood sugar, but he cooks food, he's not a nutritionist.

Try drinking some juice, resting some, giving up caffine for at least 2 weeks to see how you feel then, get more rest (sleep) and do some low-stress excersizes, such as beginners yoga, walking around the nauborhood (unless there's a steep hill), and stretches when you wake up and before you go to bed. See how you feel then.

Does your school have a health center? I know they arn't the best nurces and can't help every problem, but they may have a few suggestions for you, and it'll be cheap or free (most likely free-- you can ask them to tell you if they are charging for anything before they do it)

Also, if you don't have a school health center, you can do a quick search to see if there are any health clinics for low-income families in your area. Just because you can't afford regular health care dosn't mean that you won't be able to recieve it, deffantly do some research, there should be a health clinic somewhere in your area that you can afford.

#12 Old 03-24-2006, 01:32 AM
Veggie Regular

hey didcha find out what was up?? ive been posting here recently about a very similar situation (and i too had the eating thing happening but its going up and i eat stacks of calories).

i find myself feeling how you described a lot of the time . can't even move . just totally...wrecked. like i haven't eaten enough or slept enough and sometimes like theres no energy for my heart to beat or eyes to stay open.

i assumed it was all in my head coz theres totally no reason for it. and lately its been a billion times better and i have bursts of energy but today i was on here about to post that its back and i feel dreadful, its only 6 30..im meant to go out later but jsut want to go and fall asleep. i dont understand?!

so ..what, if anything didcha find out, hon? xo
#13 Old 10-31-2006, 08:14 PM

I have been a vegan for 3 days. I am active, and the only change I have made is in my diet. I also feel light-headedness, and flu-like symptoms. I have done some research on line and this seems like a common problem. I read an article on healthforce.com about a "cleansing reaction". Basically your body is detoxing. How long have you been a vegetarian?
#14 Old 10-31-2006, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libellula View Post

AussyJ: get your thyroid levels cheked STAT

the symptoms you are describing are symptoms of a thyroid disorder..

I agree.
#15 Old 10-31-2006, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffanyv View Post

I have been a vegan for 3 days. I am active, and the only change I have made is in my diet. I also feel light-headedness, and flu-like symptoms. I have done some research on line and this seems like a common problem. I read an article on healthforce.com about a "cleansing reaction". Basically your body is detoxing. How long have you been a vegetarian?

The OP hasn't visited VB since June
#16 Old 02-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, whatever it was, it is gone now. I don't know why, but it is. I feel great now! I am a bit more active than I was, but I don't know if that would be it.

PS.

I had an eating disorder, and it may have just been the low body weight (extremely!) and loss of muscle. I just recently was able to break the 115 pounds mark. Thanks for all of your help, everyone!

~Austin~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page