I think the bigger problem with reusing plastic bottles is that they are hard to keep clean. bacteria and mold can release toxins and make you sick.
I don't understand the whole part about re-using the bottled water bottles releasing toxins from plastic (unless I am misunderstanding). If the plastic is one that would release toxins when refilled, wouldn't it be releasing them all along, including before you bought the original bottled water?
Lots of things we do expose us to toxins, we have to weigh the relative risk with the alternatives. I don't fear plastic bottles for cold water, but I stopped cooking in plastic. (As the one article
I linked to above, heat is a one way chemists do chemical extractions into a solution.) I don't know if I'm really preventing myself harm or not, but it's easy enough to use glass instead. I'd probably do myself a lot more cancer prevention getting off my rear-end and exercising as opposed to worrying about plastic containers. Oh well.
Another thing I learned from the article I linked to in this post is that bottled water is much less regulated than tap water. Bottled water can legally contain lots of crap that wouldn't be tolerated in tap water.
He ends the article with an important point:
If you look hard enough, youll find traces of dioxins in pretty much every place on earth. Paracelsus the famous medieval alchemist, used to put it straight and simple: its the dose that makes the poison.--Tim Parsons