Dry Skin - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-02-2006, 07:23 AM

All right.. I'm having dry skin.. horribly bad (just my hands, but you can see it, the whole back of my hands) for about a week now, and I'm being pretty paranoid if I'm getting all the right nutrients/vitamans (or maybe it's because I just started a stocking job.. and i've never done that before). Anyway...here's basically what I eat (I've been vegan for a few months now):

Daily: soy milk/soy juice/fruit juice

apples

bananas

carrots (just started eating them a few days ago)

peas or broccoli or corn, etc.

Rotation (basically whatever of these I feel like eating):

potatoes

onions

pasta

soy burgers

beans (mainly chili beans)

peanut butter and jelly sandwiches

lettuce

rice

burritos (consisting of salsa, lettuce, refried beans, jalepenos, and sometimes rice)

soy chips

That's pretty much what I eat.. except once in a while I eat junk food too.. but since they don't have any nutrients.. I didn't list them. Anything I'm missing? Or is my dry skin from something completely different, like the weather or work (hand lotion helps a little.. but not a whole lot). Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-02-2006, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

coconut oil--you can eat it, cook with it, and put it on your skin directly.
#3 Old 03-02-2006, 09:20 AM

make sure you're taking omega 3s. I have dry skin on my hands since october, im still trying to find the reason why, could be your soap/weather etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

i agree with littlemary. are you getting ENOUGH fat daily? walnuts? sunflower seeds? flax seed and flax seed oil? dry skin can be caused by getting too little fat in ones diet. add some olive oil to your veggies, or walnuts to your veggies.. also, get more FOOD into your diet. you didn't put amounts or "meals" but you need some more variety: complex carbohydrates, BREAKFAST.. protein.. veggies, fruits, fats.. add lightly sauteed (no oil) bananas and toasted walnuts or almonds to oatmeal made with soymilk at breakfast, have PBJ for lunch on whole grain bread with a side of fruit salad and some green veggies.. sautee your veggies at dinner in olive oil and use them to top your salad or boca burger (on whole grain bun topped with yummy toppings, right? )
#5 Old 03-03-2006, 09:04 AM

Umm.. basically I have about 2-3 cups of soy milkjuice, maybe 20-40 oz of powerade, 3 cups of water, couple bananas, couple apples, a carrot, half can of beans, half can of corn, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and one of those small bags of soy chips, and sometimes some cookies. That's pretty much what I eat daily (or equivalent.. i.e. substitute pasta/rice/soy burger/whatever for beans or sandwich or whatever). And I bought some Canola oil (900 mg of omega 3), so hopefully it'll get my dry skin to go away. Thanks all for the input.
#6 Old 03-03-2006, 11:57 AM

just to let you know.. apparently too many bananas every day isn't good for you
#7 Old 03-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

kalit, you need to eat more food overall.. :/

try this:

b: whole grain cereal (like oatmeal or bran flakes) with soymilk. if you make oatmeal, add walnuts and dried fruit, with maple syrup for sweetener; glass of juice or 1/2 cup chopped fresh fruit..

s:whole grain crackers w/pb; OR banana w/pb and glass of OJ

L: Whole PBJ on whole grain bread (try peanut butter and apple, peanut butter and banana, peanut butter and agave nectar with cinnamon and raisins, etc..), a whole fruit or diced fresh fruit (like a whole apple, whole orange, pear, etc, or fruit salad w/pineapple, melon, grapes, banana), carrot sticks or small salad, water..

s: small handful of almonds, or granola bars, or carrot sticks w/nut butter or pita/soy chips and hummus

d: make brown rice with corn and beans, serve along side steamed or sauteed veggies (i like to saute together zucchini, red onion, mushrooms, yellow squash, blanched broccoli and garlic RAW (no oil) and drizzle with olive oil aafterwards), or salad or both (veggies are good!).. add walnuts or flax meal to your salad or both for omega-3s and 6s..

good luck!
#8 Old 03-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Eat olive oil, avocados & lots of flax seeds or flax oil.

Don't wash with commercial soaps- very drying.

Moisturize your skin with high-quality hand creams like Weleda, Aubrey Organics or Kiss My Face.
#9 Old 03-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Possibly due to not completely drying your hands after washing them, or just the weather. Try putting aquafor on them, it works overnight (though a bit expensive), then eat according to these tips, dry your hands better, and see if it goes away.
#10 Old 03-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

In the winter, every winter, my whole life (aka regardless of veg*nism) my skin gets dry and scaley and cracked because of the dry heat and the cold air. It improves in the summer. I just slather on a lot of lotion throughout the winter.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 03-03-2006, 04:12 PM

Thanks all, my skin is becoming normal already again, looks like it was due to no (or very little) omega-3, but I'll still keep these tips in mind.
#12 Old 03-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalit View Post

Thanks all, my skin is becoming normal already again, looks like it was due to no (or very little) omega-3, but I'll still keep these tips in mind.

I'd like to point out that if you JUST started taking Omega-3s after creating this thread... that isn't what's helping. It takes more than a few days for fatty acids to start making a difference in skin/hair (due to regeneration rates etc...).

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#13 Old 03-05-2006, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany17 View Post

Possibly due to not completely drying your hands after washing them, or just the weather. Try putting aquafor on them, it works overnight (though a bit expensive), then eat according to these tips, dry your hands better, and see if it goes away.

hey there

i have severely dry skin--and i use aquafor--it really works.

peace and love

jenn
#14 Old 03-05-2006, 08:21 AM

Umm... yea..I think I know what my problem is (I hope). I'm thinking it's a skin allergy reaction to V05 shampoo...I just started using it about the same time this happened. So switching to another shampoo.. hopefully it helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page