is coffee bad?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-16-2006, 07:51 PM

I was talking to a veg co-worker today. She told me that in order to lose the 20 -25 pounds that I want to, I should stop drinking the two cups (about 24oz) each morning just plain black.I drink at least a gallon of water a day, so I know I am hydrated. And she also suggested that I use whey protein powder once a day (2 scoops) she said it will help along with my workouts to tone and improve the cellulite situation. This sounds dumb to me-what do you guys think??? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds dumb to me, too. There are lots of ways to lose weight-if it sounds dumb to you, it probably is.
#3 Old 02-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Beginner

i've heard coffee has carcinogens from the roasting process. but i drink it anyway. tea's better for you so i've stepped up my tea habit. i drink pu-erh tea by the pot (ever since i heard it lowers your cholesterol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I dunno about losing weight, but coffee inhibits absorption of iron.
#5 Old 02-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Banned

Are you drinking coffee, or starbucks style lattes? Some lattes can have as many calories as a Whopper, or even more.

If you want to lose weight, you need to eat fewer calories than you use in a day. That's it. So exercise so your metabolism goes up (to enable faster calorie burning), and eat nutrient rich, low calorie foods.
#6 Old 02-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

coffee is so completely fine for you, in my opinion. it has antioxidants and its great in the morning (otherwise you can't sleep) to get you moving..and hey, if its BEFORE you go to the gym it might help you lose weight?! just dont go for the supersize milky ones?! a standard cap has about 60 calories. its no big deal?! as for the cholesterol and blood pressure rumours, mine are both extremely low..so...it can't be that bad? apparently thats exactly what the coffee badness type stories are...rumours

but id steer clear of instant...ew....
#7 Old 02-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Beginner

if you're just drinking regular black coffee, i don't see how that could possibly inhibit weight loss...especially with the amount of water you drink. black coffee has 0 calories if you don't add anything to it, and as far as i know, it temporarily boosts your metabolism a bit because it speeds up your heart rate. i say drink up with no worries!
#8 Old 02-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

yay coffee!!!
#9 Old 02-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I never understood the thing about coffee hindering weightloss (unless you're drinking steamed mocha lattes with chocolate sauce and whipped cream and a scone on the side). I mean, caffeine is a stimulant so it can only possibly put your heart rate UP which should help you burn calories, plus it dehydrates you so I would think you would lose water weight, too. I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I love it as a treat on my mornings off when I'm feeling motivated enough to make some. I'm no doctor, but I highly doubt 2 cups a day is keeping you from losing 25lbs, so I say drink your 2 cups and be happy.
#10 Old 02-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Cutting down on your caffeine intake in general can help you lose those last couple of pounds, but it's certainly not going to prevent you from losing the first 20 as long as you improve your eating habits and exercise regime.

I don't know about the protein powder. It seems to me that it would help you add muscle but I can't see it causing you to lose weight.
#11 Old 02-18-2006, 10:18 AM

shade grown coffee is better for the environment
#12 Old 02-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

The protein powder would only help if you were to do lift weights. And not 15 reps of 5 lbs weights, but real weight lifting, the kind with weights heavy enough that you can only do about 8 reps at a time. This would build muscle and help weight loss. But the powder might not even be necessary. And it wouldn't need to be whey!
#13 Old 02-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Banned

>>Cutting down on your caffeine intake in general can help you lose those last couple of pounds>>

how?

ebola
#14 Old 02-19-2006, 08:22 PM

Doesn't caffiene/coffee leach calcium from your bones or something like that? I've read that somewhere... not sure where though.
#15 Old 02-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Beginner

Plain black coffee has no calories in it. Therefore, drinking plain black coffee will have no effect on you diet plan, however, it might have an effect on your sleeping plan
#16 Old 02-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Banned

Ummm, I love coffee.

I was drinking it like almost everyday (caffinated). I was making my heart race. So, I quit it. Plus, my teeth was like kind of yellow. I was like, aw h** naw. Hahaha. I was like, i'm not drinkin this stuff no more. Relized, I love coffee, I just stick to the decaf. I don't think It a lot. Just every now and then.

Hey I heard that caffine is a diaretic. It's way you urinate a lot after you have drank caffinated coffee.

Katt Fink, I had a mocha latta last month for the first time. It was good. I loved it. I haven't had one since. I just wanted to try it.

Oh, and I had a chai tea blend too. It was so good. Wow.

Monika
#17 Old 02-19-2006, 11:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Coffee is a stimulant so it suppresses appetite. Less appetite = less food intake = greater weight loss.
#18 Old 02-20-2006, 12:24 AM

I think caffeine is not good for you. Its a bad stimulant.. but thats my opinion...

I rather have ginger/mint tea, no caffeine, no coffee.
#19 Old 02-20-2006, 03:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't seen you reply in this thread, OP, but I would say the most salient advice here for weight management is to avoid putting a lot of sugar and soy creamer or milk or whatever in your coffee, if you're worried about excess calories.
#20 Old 02-20-2006, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Everyone has advice on how to loose weight. Some diets, like Atkins ask people to give up coffee because it causes cravings or something like that. It does mess a little bit with the blood sugar I think, but not much.

Many diets though suggest drinking lots of water for hydration and fullness feeling.
#21 Old 02-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Banned

>>Coffee is a stimulant so it suppresses appetite. Less appetite = less food intake = greater weight loss.>>

Out of all the stimulants out there, though, coffee has the weakest effect on appetite.

Then again, I get hungry almost normally when on d-amphetamine.

ebola
#22 Old 02-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome Chomsky View Post

>>Coffee is a stimulant so it suppresses appetite. Less appetite = less food intake = greater weight loss.>>

Out of all the stimulants out there, though, coffee has the weakest effect on appetite.

Then again, I get hungry almost normally when on d-amphetamine.

ebola

I've been a long time coffee drinker and it does nothing to supress my appetite. I've gained wait over the years (recently lost 14 pounds), so that theory doesn't work for me.
#23 Old 02-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

It depends on how much you put in your coffee, and like another previous post said, if it's a grande latte from Starbucks or something like that...it can hold up to as many calories as a whopper. Best way to lose weight is to just cut your calories (about 500 a day) and exercise.
#24 Old 02-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Beginner

Here's my take on the morning coffee bit - I drink coffee most mornings, and, when I do, I don't feel the need to eat at the same time. However a few hours later, I definitely crash and feel the need for some serious fuel (long before lunch). So, then I might end up eating extra calories there. If that pattern sounds familiar to you, then I'd just make sure that you eat something with protein at breakfast time (it helps prevent the crash in the blood sugar) and have a healthy mid-morning snack available.

Also, in the past few years, I started making half-regular, half-decaf coffee. That way, I get my wake-up buzz, but I don't have too much of a caffeine problem. (Less caffeine = less anxiety = less emotional eating for those of us with anxiety-eating issues).

As for the protein supplement bit - save it for the body builders. Yes, protein is important for weight loss (simply put - if you're diet consists primarily of carbs, and not enough protein, then you will suffer major fluctuations in blood sugar levels a few hours after eating, which may lead you to want to eat something to restore your blood sugar levels, etc....eating protein helps keep your blood sugar levels more stable, since protein does not cause spikes and drops in blood sugar as it digests, so it provides a source of energy (calories) without the drawback of having you feel fluctuations in your energy level. - BTW, I am not a fan of Atkins; I'm not talking about ridiculous protein intake, just your normal everyday protein intake.)

Plus, adding protein powder to your diet is just adding calories to your diet, which is more calories you'll have to burn off to lose weight.

So, follow your own common sense - eat right and exercise. And ignore most well-meant diet 'advice', since most of it is silly.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page