VeggieBoards banner

Pcos

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Katt Fink 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

I have had the flu a few weeks ago, but ever sense I have had a deep cough and congestion for the weeks (3 weeks of coughing and wheezing) following. Actually I had been doing atkins off and on for the past few months because my Doctor told me to lose weight if I want to Carry a baby; it was supposed to control my hormones??? That is when this cold started (now that I look back); when I started to consume all this meat; now I am thinking that atkins did this to me;

I guess I am just babbling on and on. I really wish I didnt follow the doc's advice.

I should have known better.

I know if I go veggie this will go away. I think it is all the animal products that are doing this to me.

i have been veggie off and on; but now I see I need to eliminate it for good.

i have PCOS and need to balance my hormones. Has any female delt with this before?

#4 ·
Oh, Atkins is no good if you have PCOS. It's very unhealthy for anyone.

If you need to diet, perhaps you could try the South Beach diet, vegetarian version: http://www.south-beach-diet-101.com/...egetarian.html

The best thing would be to get very specific help from a nutritionist who knows exactly what your body needs and what would be healthy and unhealthy for it.

You could also order this book: http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/

which deals exactly with your problem.

#8 ·
I have PCOS, too, and I'm beginning to see some of the first progress on medication. I've been vegetarian for years and years, but ate a lot of dairy products. I read that dairy can be bad for PCOS, not just for the artificial hormones but because of other nutritional concerns, too. To make a long story short, I've been vegan for a couple weeks now. I'm sure it's too early to really tell, but I'm feeling good.

You might consider giving up dairy or even cutting back on it. Or if that's not an option for you, try organic milk, without the additional hormones. Cheese is an issue, too, because the hormones added to milk basically get concentrated in it, and that's not good.

About what PCOS is -- it stands for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, which is something of a misnomer. It's an endocrine disease in women that affects insulin and other hormones, causing infertility, obesity, and other problems.

#9 ·
OK, I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to pull it back up rather than start yet another PCOS thread (should this be in the women's forum??).

I was "diagnosed" with PCOS today, and was totally blown off. I mean, I know it's not a life-threatening condition, but I thought you were supposed to at least seek some sort of treatment for it? A condition that messes with your INSULIN sensitivity (!!!) and hormones does not seem like a thing that should be ignored to me. Although the infertility risk is sort of appealing to me at the moment, what if I change my mind and want to have kids later in life???

I didn't even get to speak to my doctor about it. The receptionist told me over the phone that my pelvic ultrasound came back "just fine, except it was consistent with PCOS" - said that it's a very common condition and there's nothing that can be done for it so I shouldn't worry about it... she said I don't have to come back in or call or anything, just let them know if I still don't get my period after a while (she did not specify what a "while" was). I have not had my period in over 6 months. I am only 20, I don't want my body to be messed up just yet, I still have lots of youth and health to experience! I do not want to grow a beard and become a man with boobs. I want my sex drive back. I want my insides to stop hurting. I just want my body to be back to normal

I know the right thing to do is find another doctor to talk to, but I basically I was just seeking the opinion of any other ladies suffering from PCOS (or anyone for that matter): I was wondering if you thought I was over reacting to this. Is this something I should just "not worry about," like I was told today? Or is this something I should take seriously?

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt Fink View Post

OK, I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to pull it back up rather than start yet another PCOS thread (should this be in the women's forum??).

I was "diagnosed" with PCOS today, and was totally blown off. I mean, I know it's not a life-threatening condition, but I thought you were supposed to at least seek some sort of treatment for it? A condition that messes with your INSULIN sensitivity (!!!) and hormones does not seem like a thing that should be ignored to me. Although the infertility risk is sort of appealing to me at the moment, what if I change my mind and want to have kids later in life???

I didn't even get to speak to my doctor about it. The receptionist told me over the phone that my pelvic ultrasound came back "just fine, except it was consistent with PCOS" - said that it's a very common condition and there's nothing that can be done for it so I shouldn't worry about it... she said I don't have to come back in or call or anything, just let them know if I still don't get my period after a while (she did not specify what a "while" was). I have not had my period in over 6 months. I am only 20, I don't want my body to be messed up just yet, I still have lots of youth and health to experience! I do not want to grow a beard and become a man with boobs. I want my sex drive back. I want my insides to stop hurting. I just want my body to be back to normal

I know the right thing to do is find another doctor to talk to, but I basically I was just seeking the opinion of any other ladies suffering from PCOS (or anyone for that matter): I was wondering if you thought I was over reacting to this. Is this something I should just "not worry about," like I was told today? Or is this something I should take seriously?
Take it from someone who went for TWELVE YEARS trying to get a diagnosis: You are right to want better medical treatment. It is out there, and the symptoms are manageable. Find a reproductive endocrinologist or a gyno who specializes in PCOS.

It took some trying, because each woman is different, but I am finally on a medication that is making some MAJOR improvements (Metformin, but often other meds do it for other women). There ARE things that can be done and you DON'T have to settle for "don't worry about it." In fact, seeking treatment can reduce your risk for future illnesses, such as Type II diabetes and heart disease, as well as certain cancers. But this IS controllable -- it's just a very, very poorly understood disease. Find yourself not just any doctor, but one who specializes in PCOS and can help you navigate your own unique case. Do not worry, but be assertive. Help is out there, and you won't have to just live with this junk. There are some GREAT treatments out there. Unbelievable!

I also recommend you check out SoulCysters.net, a forum with great info for women with PCOS. You'll find a lot of support there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.