sugar. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Banned

i am totally freaking out about the amount of sugar i consume.

the thing is, i don't eat junk food.

no soda.

no candy.

no chips.

nothing that has refined sugars in it.

if it says 'sugar' on the ingredients list, i don't eat it.

what i do consume quite a lot of is cane sugar juice, and fruit (fresh and dried).

organic cane sugar juice is in my oatmeal (18g) and soymilk (10g) that i have everyday.

i usually have at least: 3 dates, a banana, and an apple (and 2 fruity yogurts) a day; maybe some berries as well.

is this bad?

should i try and cut down?

this is probably completely irrational, but i tend to obsess over things like this (first it was calories, then fat grams, then sodium, etc)..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-08-2006, 07:50 AM

Why do you think you need to cut down on sugar? It seems you are doing just fine, the fact that you aren't getting your sugar from junk food, but instead from fruits, is great!
#3 Old 02-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

honey, honey.. don't freak so much about sugar. if you're not eating lots and lots and lots of refined sugar each day, you're fine.

the sugar in fruit is dilute.. it's surrounded by GOOD FOR YOU things like fiber, vitamins, minerals.. soymilk is fortified and has calcium, vitamin d, and is a source of protein.. the oatmeal is a whole grain with added sugar. but it's a whole grain with good for you fiber and tastes yummy to boot.

you're eating very healthily, and i know that you are in recovery from an ED.. the important thing to worry about right now is that you are getting enough food into your body to stay healthy.. eat to live and freak out about sugar later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Marketers mask their sugar by giving it names like "cane sugar juice" which is sugar, just using another name. They use other names too like "corn syrup". So be careful.

I eat the slow cooked plain oatmeal, which doesn't take that much longer to cook than instant, and I add cinnamin to it. Westsoy makes an unsweetended soy milk that I like to add to cereal. I buy plain yogurt and jazz it up with fruit or vanilla protein powder.

Fruit is refined carboyhydrates, so they are usually o.k. as was pointed out above. Some people like to eat lower on the glycemic index and avoid fruits like bannanas, pineapple and dates, but eat berries and apples, and avoid juices. It's your own choice. I try to eat the high glycemic fruit with a meal and not by itself. But I by no means avoid fruit. Personally, I do better and feel better if my blood glucose levels are stable and not up and down.

Sounds like you could use a little refinement to help you eat less sugar, but that you're doing o.k. better than most folks, just a little sweet tooth.

Good luck.

addendum. I just read that you are recoverying from an ED and it sounds like you're looking for perfection in your diet. On the one hand, it's o.k. to analyze and learn. On the other hand, Itt might be best to not obsess and relax a bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page