Hiccups: how to stop them - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a very bad case of the hiccups right now, and it hurts a lot, especialy when coughing at the same time. Something a definitely can't recommend. I wonder if anyone knows any good remedies, although my hopes aren't high, I get the hiccups very frequently, and I feel I've tried them all...

*hiccup*

going to fetch a glass of water anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Drink a cup of water upside down.

Here is how you do it. Put the far end of the cup to you lips. Normally you would put the close end to you lower lip. Then tilt your head forward as if you were going to do a head stand. Invert the cup with your head upside down.

The sheer amount of concentration and the muscles used to move the water to your stomach normally helps relieves the hiccups. Works for me everytime.
#3 Old 02-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I take the biggest, deepest breath possible. Then I hold it for as long as I can. I gradually try to push the air I'm holding down my throat and swallow the air.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Don't worry, I haven't passed out yet.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

This is going to sound weird, but here it goes anyway. I can get rid of my hiccups by closing my eyes and feeling the spot where my hiccups originate, somewhere in the middle of my chest. Goofy, but it works for me.

Before I found out I could do that, the only thing that would work for me was breathing in a small plastic bag, like when you're hyperventilating.
#5 Old 02-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

drink a mouthful or two of vinegar
#6 Old 02-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn again veg View Post

drink a mouthful or two of vinegar

*this space not for sale*
#7 Old 02-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

Here is how you do it. Put the far end of the cup to you lips. Normally you would put the close end to you lower lip. Then tilt your head forward as if you were going to do a head stand. Invert the cup with your head upside down.

The sheer amount of concentration and the muscles used to move the water to your stomach normally helps relieves the hiccups. Works for me everytime.

I used to drink like this for fun when I was little (okay, I was weird, but that's a whole different story) and it never works for me anymore.
#8 Old 02-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

AAAAhhhh!!!! Boogie boogie boogie

...Did I scare you? oh well, I tried.

I always just hold my breath or breathe into a paper bag.
#9 Old 02-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I just hold my breath for about a minute and it usually works... if not I try again.
#10 Old 02-06-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

Yep, this is what I was going to say. It always works for me too.
#11 Old 02-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopejoy View Post

I just hold my breath for about a minute and it usually works... if not I try again.

I've found this really works, too! And get them very bad.
#12 Old 02-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Beginner

Nine little sips of water, then one big gulp. Swallowing each individually and without breaths in between. Works 99% of the time for me. My Dad told me that when I was little and it's the first thing I go for.
#13 Old 02-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I do the water upside down thing, but there is no need to actually tip the glass backwards. :P

Just put water in your mouth, bend over so your head is upside down, and swallow.
#14 Old 02-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Beginner

When I nursed post op patients who had hiccups, we gave them a paper bag, told them to blow into it (like a balloon) then immediately inhale it. The carbon dioxide from your breath stopped it. Does work, I use that method.
#15 Old 02-07-2006, 03:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, these are some great (and funny) suggestions. Thanks guys, I'm sure trying them! But, a lot of them I've tried before, and they work - sometimes - . If have have a really bad (and hurtfull) case of the hiccups, nothing seems to work... Ah well, the more methods I know, the bigger chance of getting one that works

Recently a read a letter in a newspaper by a dokter or something that you can also press hard at the soft part in your throat between you two collar bones. It had no effect whatsoever for me, but maybe it will help for other people.
#16 Old 02-07-2006, 08:24 AM

at Trueveggie14

My auntie used to put a spoonful of sugar in our mouths, and then we had to drink a glass of water while pulling on our left ear.

I swear it works. She's a nurse, BTW.
#17 Old 02-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

The sugar and water does work, no need to pull on your ear though.
#18 Old 02-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I take the biggest, deepest breath possible. Then I hold it for as long as I can. I gradually try to push the air I'm holding down my throat and swallow the air.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Don't worry, I haven't passed out yet.

A hiccup is an involuntary spasm of the diaphragm. Any activity which causes you to force your diaphragm to behave in a way you want (such as holding yourself upside down to drink a cup of water, which takes a bit of concentration!) or breathing repeatedly into a bag, or taking a VERY deep breath (and even sucking in a few extra breaths through your mouth and forcing them into your lungs) should work. I do the "hold your breath" method. It works best for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page