Bring on your home flu remedies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-02-2006, 03:04 PM

My family has the flu, boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo. (Any women out there remember the hand-clapping song like that?)

Anyway, got any good home remedies for flu symptoms? We're drinking hot tea with honey and no appetite for anything else. Is there any way to shorten the duration of this misery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

if its just a cold, not the flu then zycam is wonderful and will make you feel better much sooner.
#3 Old 02-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

zycam makes some sort of flu meds now too but I don't know if they work like the nasal cold stuff. i doubt it considering its mixed into liquid.

I think prevention is the best medicine for the flu! Other than that, rest, fluids, and if you get to a doc within 72 hrs you can get some antivirals.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-05-2006, 10:34 PM

I could show you this website but I don't know how to make links can someone tell me?
#5 Old 02-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Beginner

Fruit vinegars are good to relieve symptoms and is soothing with the healing qualities of vinegar.

Add a tbls of fruit vinegar to warm water in a glass and drink while its still warm, especially good at bedtime, instantly soothing and the vinegar will heal as you sleep.
#6 Old 02-06-2006, 01:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I could have used this thread earlier. I've been sick for about a week now.

I've been drinking a lot of soup broth. I use vegetarian "chicken" flavoured broth, or regular veggie broth, and then lightly fry like 5 cloves of minced garlic, and put the garlic in the soup.

avoid dairy. there is something in it that increases mucus production.

multivitamins, especially if you are eating a lot less than usual. And sleep, sleep, sleep!

That's all I've got.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#7 Old 02-06-2006, 01:54 AM
Vegan Police Officer

If it's the REAL flu, and not flu-like symptoms (people often say they have the "flu" when they don't), then there are two methods:

1) You don't take any remedies and the flu lasts about 7 days.

2) You take medicine and the flu lasts about one week.

Real influenza (and not just flu-like symptoms) is hell on earth. It feels like you are dying.
#8 Old 02-06-2006, 02:00 AM
Veggie Regular

as soon as people around me are sick i start taking echinacea and vitamin c. also make sure you get lots of fresh air. if everyone in the house is sick, get out of the house. go for a long walk or whatever (yes even if it's cold out, it's a myth that being outside in the cold will make you sick). otherwise the recirculated air will see you sick in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

avoid dairy. there is something in it that increases mucus production.

yeah, it's mucus.

oh and i don't take meds for colds or flu unless i need to be functional (like if i'm really congested and sniffly and have to go to work, i'll take a decongestant but it's mostly for the benefit of my customers lol). anything that "relieves" symptoms really justs prolongues the illness. you have symptoms for a reason, it's your body's natural process, don't mess with it.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#9 Old 02-06-2006, 04:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I load up on green tea and vitamin C.
#10 Old 02-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT-this is amazing stuff for any germ!
#11 Old 02-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I drink orange juice every day, and I still haven't gotten a cold yet. Brushing your teeth with green tea has been known to kill some viruses and infections that could cause the flu and such. I've done it, it has worked so far.
#12 Old 02-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Banned

Stay warm, hot lemonade, fresh air through the house once a day, disinfect your toothbrush after every use. If you are prone to bronchitis or pneumonia, do take something to stop the nasal drips, or you can get complications.
#13 Old 02-13-2006, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I just got over the flu, it was horrible. I had a temperature of 102 and I felt like someone kicked the crap out of me!

I found drinking hot tea works of course, getting plenty of rest, lots of orange juice and water, and for my fever I used a cold eye mask. I took lots of Tylenol since my muscles were so sore, but a heating pad works good too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page