anaemia? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-01-2003, 12:18 PM

my friend is interested in being vegetarian.. but she's having a hard time winning her parents over, they think it will be unhealthy.

So - would someone having anaemia be a reason for them not to adopt a vegan/vegetarian diet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-01-2003, 12:32 PM

I've been anemic off and on most of my life. I lack the ability to absorb iron through food and supplements at the rate that average people do.

I'm assuming your friend is a teenage female. If so, she can be a successful vegetarian, but she will have to take care to ensure that she eats properly.

In order to get the 25mg of iron daily that she is required on a vegetarian diet, her diet will have to include lentils, beans, lots of green vegetables, nuts and seeds.

Try suggesting to her to have at least 1 vegetarian meal daily. That way, she can find some foods that she likes and learn about nutrition at a slow pace. She already has a medical condition that can often be prevented and corrected with proper food choices. She needs to learn what those choices are.

Feel free to ask any questions for her or yourself and we'll all do the best we can to help you on your journey.

Krista

EDITED for typos
#3 Old 07-01-2003, 12:53 PM

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...&threadid=7099

This thread has a lot of info on iron, as well as vegetarian requirements for teenage females.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-01-2003, 12:54 PM
Banned

My $.02: Nothing is worth risking your health. Not even veg*nism. Get the facts straight, run the plan by a certified nutritionalist, and then proceed.

I did this when I had cancer, and my parents bugged out about eating right and the effects of the chemotherapy. In the long run, my vegan diet, because it was well designed and implemented, was critical to my comfort during the treatment, and perhaps even the effectiveness.

Good luck to your friend.
#5 Old 07-01-2003, 12:58 PM

I agree completely, Max.
#6 Old 07-01-2003, 01:04 PM

BTW -- you were right in your assumption that she's a female teenager. (I probably should have mentioned that )

Thank you very much for your replies, kristadb. appreciated I'll pass on to her the things you said (and any other helpful things anyone else has to offer) and hopefully I can put her and her parents' minds at ease over this, and get the facts straight with them. And i second what the girl at the other thread said - you're very intelligent and informed and it's awesome

I agree Max Power, 100%. And my friend says thank you.
#7 Old 07-03-2003, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Though iron deficiency is the most frequent cause of anemia, it´s not the only possible form. First ask if iron is the problem.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page