low cholesterol and strokes?! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2006, 03:53 AM
Veggie Regular

hi guys...i know i post a lot on here...but it seems like almost everything you read raises more health questions.

And if you put two and two together a lot of "Good" things seem to be bad.

I don't each much salt, don't like crisps or savoury biscuits much, dont add much salt to anything really. But my housemate bought these AMAZING rye crackers. all natural and no additives , just rye flour, salt, oil. yummm. finished a whole box?! and went out and bought more.

Being loaded with salt (though to be fair my idea of 'loaded' might not be, coz im generally pretty wary of the stuff) this prompted a health discussion (she's really into that kind of thing at the moment) and the whole stroke thing came up...because apparently its been suggested that too much salt means higher stroke risk.

But if you actually read the research...thats only in people with low cholesterol. So..

I'm just wondering...is this an actual fact, low cholesterol plus moderate salt intake doubles stroke risk? AND...

how much salt, come to think of it, is a lot of salt?? I really have no idea. And never worried coz i just didn't like the stuff. but these are good...

ehehehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2006, 04:09 AM
ren
Beginner

Gah!! What are you talking about? There are potential health problems with LOW cholesterol? Dammit... we have low cholesterol in my family and I thought this was a good thing. I'm not a huge salt eater (don't pour it on my food) but I love crisps, salted nuts etc etc...
#3 Old 01-17-2006, 04:18 AM
Veggie Regular

well apparently thats why , for example japanese people who eat a lot of fish (lowering cholesterol) and not much saturated fat etc but a lot of pickled things , have the highest haemorage stroke rate in the world?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2006, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular

and i know..somebody is going to post 'moderation?!' in here. I'm jsut curious thats all. I don't plan on eating two boxes of rye crackers a night. I just wondered was all ...
#5 Old 01-17-2006, 04:49 AM
ren
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurushead View Post

and i know..somebody is going to post 'moderation?!' in here. I'm jsut curious thats all. I don't plan on eating two boxes of rye crackers a night. I just wondered was all ...

Yeah- what is moderation? I don't feel I eat as much salt as others who I see pouring on their food but I have to confess to eating some salty foods. how much is too much? Hmmm...
#6 Old 01-17-2006, 04:58 AM
Veggie Regular

OK, well first, there are two kinds of strokes:

1. Ischemic, which is caused by a clot obstructing blood flow to the brain, and is BY FAR the most common form of stroke. This is the one that is linked to high cholesterol.

2. Hemorrhagic. This kind of stroke involves a blood vessel breaking, causing lots of bleeding into the brain. High cholesterol seems to be somewhat protective against this kind of stroke, and high salt intake is a large risk factor for this type of stroke.

The bottom line is: keep your cholesterol low to lower your risk for ischemic stroke, the most common kind of stroke, but keep your salt intake under control to avoid the other type.
#7 Old 01-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

OK, well first, there are two kinds of strokes:

1. Ischemic, which is caused by a clot obstructing blood flow to the brain, and is BY FAR the most common form of stroke. This is the one that is linked to high cholesterol.

2. Hemorrhagic. This kind of stroke involves a blood vessel breaking, causing lots of bleeding into the brain. High cholesterol seems to be somewhat protective against this kind of stroke, and high salt intake is a large risk factor for this type of stroke.

The bottom line is: keep your cholesterol low to lower your risk for ischemic stroke, the most common kind of stroke, but keep your salt intake under control to avoid the other type.

Good points

Lets keep in mind the biggest risk factors are still:

Ischemic - High blood pressure, advanced age and smoking

Hemorrhagic - High blood pressure, advanced age and Cocaine use/abuse

High salt intake is believed to me a major risk factor in both (leads to higher blood pressure).

There are some studies that have linked low cholesterol to higher incidence of hemorrhagic stroke, possibly because the low cholesterol levels can't maintain the integrity of the vessel walls and the walls start to leak.

But at the same time higher cholesterol is linked to increased risk of ischemic stroke which about 5 times as prevalent.

So given the choice, go with low cholesterol.
#8 Old 01-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

well, and the concept that "low" and "high" are relative.

for example, when my cholesterol levels were "too low" (meaning dangerously low), many people who have similar cholesterol levels have very normal functioing. BUt, i didn' thave normal functioning--i had secondary symptoms with my 'low cholesterol' (it was borderline low/normal, just below the lowest end of the normal range). while for some people my number may be 'ok' for me, it was too low. for many others, it is too low. For others, the high end of normal range is too low. so, cholesterol needs vary person-to-person. and, if you don't produce enough (like me, as i was vegan before), then you'll need an outside source to help out.

also, weston a price foundation has some research (bibliography) directly on this topic in their articles related to "The CHolesterol Myth."
#9 Old 01-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

But I look at the issue another way. Assume you have low cholesterol and a high sodium intake. Would raising your cholesterol level and keeping your salt intake the same decrease your risk of stroke? I haven't read the research, but I suspect it would not. I suspect it would just shift your risk of stroke toward the ischemic stroke and away from hemorrhagic. If that's true, it's best to keep your cholesterol levels low and your sodium under control.

The single best thing we can do to keep our sodium levels under control is probably eat out less. Restaurant food is so loaded with sodium it's shocking.
#10 Old 01-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

I suspect it would just shift your risk of stroke toward the ischemic stroke and away from hemorrhagic. If that's true, it's best to keep your cholesterol levels low and your sodium under control.

Quote:
The single best thing we can do to keep our sodium levels under control is probably eat out less. Restaurant food is so loaded with sodium it's shocking.

That's why restaurant food is so good
#11 Old 01-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Addictive, you mean. *******s.
#12 Old 01-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Addictive, you mean. *******s.

Salty, sugary, fatty, delicious poison
#13 Old 01-17-2006, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

hahaha...thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!

All that advice made total sense. I think I get it now. You guys, again/still, rock the random-knowledge thing.
#14 Old 01-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

oh, and i do agree with the salt business. i just wanted to point out that different cholesterol levels may be better for some people and not for others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page