Fibromyalgia - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-21-2005, 12:40 PM

Anyone dealing or know someone with Fibromyalgia. My sister just got diagnosed recently so I've been trying to gather some more info her. I'm curious to see how diet plays a role in that symptoms.

thanks

denise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I was just searching around and can't find anything about diet and this disorder : (
#3 Old 12-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

My mother has it. She has tried just about everything BUT diet, so I couldn't tell you how diet has or has not helped her. But in The China Study, Dr. Campbell suggests that there appears to be an emerging connection between dairy and all auto-immune diseases, including arthritis, fibromyalgia, psoriasis, lupus, and others. The mechanism is not clear but thought to be that casein (the main protein in milk) is capable of mimicking vitamin D in the body, thereby acting as a Vitamin D antagonist.

I think he may also have cited some studies that appear to show that many arthritis sufferers get worse when they have dairy and better when they don't. Arthritis is not fibromyaglia, of course, but it's in the same family of diseases. (My mother hates milk and has been lactose-intolerant for decades.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Beginner

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a few years back and I'm doing great. I was put on tons of medications, but that was the WRONG move. Don't let the doctors drug your sister! Go to your health food store and get vitamins, particularly one with malic acid. It'll relieve pain and swelling of the joints. I haven't heard anything about diet. Good luck!
#5 Old 12-21-2005, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Dr. Joel Fuhrman has had great success treating fibromyalgia with diet. There's some info on this page: http://www.drfuhrman.com/disease/Other.aspx
#6 Old 12-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Is it an actual disease? I keep seeing it referred to as a syndrome only.
#7 Old 12-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia five years ago. At first they were treating me for chronic lyme, which I contracted back in 1989. I never fully recovered from it, but when I moved to where I live now my new doctor sent me to a rheumatologist and he diagnosed the fibro. I just went for a second opinion two days ago and it was confirmed. This new doctor is really pushing to put me on an anti-depressant which I am fighting right now, but I need to feel better. I am so NOT a depressed person. I tend to be very hyper and upbeat 95% of the time. But I since I wouldn't be taking it for depression it's supposed to be ok. Something about the pain receptors in the brain. Exercise is supposed to help, which I"ve been doing faithfully for two years, but no relief. And I have not been able to build up any stamina. I'm pretty much in the same place as I was two years ago when I started exercising. I already take vitamins since going vegan, but I will look for the malic acid like crazycutie suggests. For me, it does not affect the joints, but the muscles.
#8 Old 12-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

it's a syndrome, part of the 'syndrome X" family, which some believe comes from industrialized lifestyles--including manufactured food.

most people have success curing or treating fibromyalgia with diet and exercise. The diet neednt' be extreme. Moving towards more vegetables, fruits, and whole grains--away from processed foods as much as possible--and even an omnivorous (and dairy inclusive) diet can work. exercise is also a big part of the picture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page