Iron issue or ear issue... anyone else have this iron thing? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Beginner

Well the dr said he wasnt sure what was making me so dizzy so he had my ears cleaned cuz he said there was build up but then he had me do a blood test for possible iron deficincy cuz of being a female veggie. anyhow i wont hear back like for a week i believe it said..... so again i worry. is this something i can die from in the mean time? what kind of foods can i eat that will help in case it is the iron thing? is there supplements u can get at teh store for it? anyone else have this iron thing..... explain it more if u can, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-20-2005, 06:31 AM
Veggie Regular

if you are anemic your doctor will most likely prescribe that you take OTC iron tabs and then have you retested in a few months to see how they are doing.

you won't die from anemia in the next week--but it can cause problems if untreated.

that said, many female veggies are not anemic.

i am, and i've been taking iron tablets for the last 9months or so and my iron is starting to stabilize.
#3 Old 12-20-2005, 08:51 PM

Your doctor can help if you need a supplement. Also you might want to make sure where your doctor compares the numbers needed. Since you are female you don't need as much iron as a male. Many doctors will say you are deficient if you aren't meeting the male standard.

But you can also start cooking with cast iron pans. They help with iron intake as well.

Are you sure the dizziness isn't from a low blood sugar level? Sometimes not eating on a regular basis can make you dizzy. My sister has to eat 5 small meals a day to keep her blood sugar level - or else she gets very fatigue and dizzy. Just a thought.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-20-2005, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertbox View Post

Your doctor can help if you need a supplement. Also you might want to make sure where your doctor compares the numbers needed. Since you are female you don't need as much iron as a male. Many doctors will say you are deficient if you aren't meeting the male standard.

No no no! Women need MORE iron. General US standards are 18 mg/day for women until menopause. The male standard = 10 mg/day.

I wouldn't worry too much until the blood test comes back. A few days isn't going to make any difference. If it turns out you are anemic from lack of iron...there are many threads here and folks willing to help you out.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page