How can I stop scaring myself about my health? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Beginner

I have been told I have G.E.R.D. and it sometimes feels like I am gonna die. Have a heart attack or just stop breathing and its messing my life. I am always going to the dr to get the same diagnosis and in Sept 2004 I had a chest XRay and a clear bill on it but I keep thinking that maybe it has got worse since. I have normal blood pressure and BMI. I am not sure on Cholest. cuz I am scared to death to get the test done for it. I have been a veggie since I was 11, I am 23 now. Now I am more on the vegan path as I have become alot more sick by dairy and switched to Soy "Dairy" I am trying my best to completly eliminate cholesteral and cutting down on my sat. fats. I am more and more health consious esp since this summer when my grandma got told she had heart failure, due to kidney problems. My biggest fear now is dying from a heart problem and my mom is worried because I am eating less as she sees it because I am so scared of eating certian things.... I keep hearing something new is bad for your heart. I dont awnt to live like this but I want to remain healthy and on top of things with my heart health. Any ideas? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-15-2005, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe you should talk to a therapist about this? Also, if you're not eating enough, you WILL get sick! Having GERD is not that big a deal as long as you're on meds for it.
#3 Old 12-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Beginner

i am sure i am eating plenty, i meant as before i used to always be eating, i would eat alot of junk food and such. now i only at the three times of day when i should, and not big huge portions and not junk food. i am still eating though. i guess i am just worried that something will happen to me, i mean i dont eat meat, i exersisce quite often, i dont smoke but i do stress sometimes, i am unsure on my cholesteral level. normally i wouldnt worry as every dr. keeps saying i am too young to have heart attacks and such but i hear stories of ppl in their twentise who do and people who seemingly eat healthy and still end up very sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-15-2005, 01:25 PM

I'm the same. Always paranoid, currently got bad joints, breathless and whatnot so going back to lack-ovo veggie-ness

Hope you'll be ok
#5 Old 12-15-2005, 01:54 PM

Try not to worry so much about your health. It seems like you are eating healthy maybe it is something that you're body is missing. How long have you had problems with gerd before you were diagnosed with it? Does the gerd get worse when you eat a particular food?
#6 Old 12-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Beginner

Sounds weird, but buy aloe vera gel. Add a tablespoon to a cup of water 3x a day or more, it won't hurt. Aloe is a natural healer and will soothe your throat and stomach. I have acid reflux and now am fine, i watch what i eat and don't even need medication which actually makes reflux worse. Good luck!
#7 Old 12-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I have GERD. I've had it since 4th grade (I'm in 12th grade now).

My symptoms were..heartburn, feeling like barfing, indigestion, burping, gas, bloating, inability to swallow, weight loss, stomach pain, and, yes, chest pain. Now I am on medication that takes care of most of those symptoms, although I do sometimes get a relapse and feel like barfing for anywhere from a week to one month or more. Sometimes I still get heartburn, chest pains, stomach pains, and indigestion/bloating/burps...after eating 'bad' foods.

Foods to avoid with GERD:

*acidics (oranges, lemons, limes, tomatoes)

*spices (chilli, cayenne, hot peppers, garlic, onions, etc)

*carbonated beverages

*caffiene

*chocolate

*sometimes dairy products (but that's because I'm somewhat lactose intolerant)

If I avoid the above foods, I am generally fine.

However - I tend to consume the 'bad' foods anyway and just suffer the consequences. That's my decision though and I DO pay the price.

If you want to stop scaring yourself about your health...the best thing to do is just...stop thinking about it. Just live. I used to be a big hypocondriac. I cried once because I thought I had MS. Another time I was hung up on the idea that I thought I had cystic fibrosis. Etc, etc, etc. I finally stopped when I realized there is nothing I can do if I do have those diseases and I might as well live what is left of my life and enjoy it while I can.
#8 Old 12-17-2005, 11:23 PM
Banned

MNM, this year has been a scarey one for me. I started to not feel good. My blood pressure would be high (i have high bp, and it was normal, but due to this illness have, it caused my bp to be high). My pluse would be beating so fast, that it seemed like it would jump out of my arm. My heart rate was so fast at times, and I would get out of breath and my chest hurt when I did a little walking. It scared me to dealth. I use to think I was gonna have a heart attack. I didn't know what in the world was going on. I thought I was going to die. I'm 27 girl.

Now I know what is wrong. When I went to my kidney doctor (yes I have a kidney disorder too),they tested my blood and urine like usual. They found something wrong with my thyroid horomons. Well, I went to get some pictures taken of my thyroid gladed. The resulta came back. I have hyperthyroidism. I read up on it. I have all almost all of the symtomes you would have with this disease. It's also called Grave's Disease. It's when the thyroid sercrets to much thyroid horomons.

I'm so happy that I know what's wrong now. I thought I was gonna have a heart attack. I'm soooooo happy. Now, I can be better again.

Thank you Jesussssssssssss. Praise the Lord.

You need to go get your Cholesterol checked. If it's good, you can rule it out hun.
#9 Old 12-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Baby Love

Now I need to go look up GERD. I've never heard of it, but best of luck to you
#10 Old 12-18-2005, 02:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by What About Bob? View Post

Dr. Leo Marvin: What is it you are truly afraid of?

Bob Wiley: What if my heart stops beating?

What if I'm looking for a bathroom and can't find it, and...

...my bladder explodes.

I just watched this and sadly, I can relate a little to the Bob character:

* Fear of heart and such

* I don't like touching public areas [only bathrooms] with my hands and I use a hand towel to turn on the faucets and open door knobs

* I don't like elevators (no fear, just prefer to get some exercise rather than be lazy with an elevator, even 17 floors in NYC)

It's an okay film, but the truth is that there is such a thing as worrying too much. We all will die, and all our hearts will eventually stop. Some it doesn't seem to bother, some it makes them crazy.

I've gone through the fearful stuff (hit me hard at 19 and stayed with me until about 24), I've reached a point where I'm more accepting of death. I just don't want to be there when it happens.

I've had several trips to the ER in that 19 to 24 range which all were the result of me having anxiety attacks. Sometimes, it would be the result of caffeine, and sometimes, the result of me feeling something happening in my body and getting freaked out about it. I've realized that sometimes, it is my stomach stirring and I think it's my heart thumping strange.

My suggestion is to channel your concern about your body in to something to overpower those feelings. If you are in a location that allows you, let out some shouts, I find that trying to change your feeling to being angry (offensive) rather than scared (defensive) helps sometimes.

Also, try working out regularly, I found it extremely balancing. I joined a gym and would work out 3 to 4 nights a week and even though my heart would trip a bit, I was too exhausted to care! Regular exercise like that also helped me with my sleeping problems, I slept fully and woke up feeling great.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page