Dry Itchy Skin - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I have some serious skin issues =P

It's that time of the year again... the time when my hands get all dry and itchy. I've been using Vasaline Intesive Care for the past two years. I apply it to my hands every night after I shower and before I go to bed because I can't stand the greasyness. My hands have been getting worse. Should I be applying it more often? Can anyone recommend a better product or something natural I can use to moisturize my skin?

I also have dry skin on my lower legs. I've tried using body wash made especially for dry skin, but it doesn't work. I don't like lotioning my legs because of that greasyness. It drives me up the wall, and even when I use non-scented lotion, my legs smell kinda funny when I get up the next morning.

And lately my face has been pretty dry and flakey. I notice after I get out of the shower. I immediately apply some Johnson and Johnson moisturizing ph balencing cream... it does nothing...

Can anyone recommend anything for my lips too? I usually apply either lipgloss, lip balm or chapstick before bed and before I go to school, but my lips have been pretty bad lately. And I've been having this problem, when I apply lip stuff before I go to sleep, my lips are slimy in the morning. If I don't apply anything, they crack and bleed.

Since all this stuff is like 7 or 8 bucks a pop, I was just wondering if anyone could recommend anything before I went out and bought everything. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

One thing I can suggest is to get a humidifier. Skin gets really dry in the winter because of the dry air. Also drink lots of water. You will probably be able to use a non-greasy moisturizer after that.
#3 Old 12-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Beginner

I second the vote for the humidifier. It can really help.

A few suggestions - get all your friends together and tell them to bring their lotions, creams, and other moisturizing potions. Have a lotion party. Roll up your pants legs and start sampling. See which products feel best on your skin. (While you're at it, read labels for any ingredients you want to avoid.)

Also, many health food stores have sample bottles of products on their shelves - or ask the owner if they have samples - rub them on your arms, and see how they feel. You're right that lotions can be expensive, and I don't think you should be afraid of asking to try them before you sink money into them. Also, I'm no lotion expert, but I've found that people who run health food stores usually know a lot about their products - ask them for a recommendation, but also ask for a sample, or tell them you're 'just looking' if they start to pressure you to buy something. (What I'm trying to say is, if they point to the most expensive lotion on the shelf, don't feel obligated to buy it. I once had a not-nice health food store owner push some expensive and useless stuff on me, which I bought like an idiot.)

In the past, I have found that lotions made primarily with cocoa butter are very effective, although you might not like the chocolatey smell. Shea butter products are also very good. I understand that you don't like the feeling of lotion on your legs, but I really don't think there's much of a way around that. For me, I just deal with that unpleasantness - it's much better than dealing with the itchy skin.

I have not found any moisturizing body wash that allows me to skip applying lotion after I shower. I get out of the shower, towel off, and immediately slather up my legs with lotion. There's just no way around that, for me. (Otherwise, my skin gets so itchy that I will scratch it until it bleeds or looks like it's covered in welts.)

For your hands, I would recommend getting a cheap pair of cotton gloves. (Sometimes you can find these in stores near the lotions.) Before bed, lotion your hands, then put on the gloves. That will help you get the maximum benefit from the lotion overnight. (Or, you could put socks on your hands, like mittens. That works too. It just keeps the lotion from drying too quickly or rubbing off while you sleep.)

For the face, in the winter I use whatever heavy-duty body moisturizer I'm using on my body. I have never found a face lotion that was able to keep my face moisturized in the winter. (Most face lotions are too thin in consistency, and it feels like they just sit on the surface of the skin. Body moisturizers are much thicker. In the morning, you could wash your face, put on moisturizer, then go eat breakfast or something while you wait for the lotion to thoroughly sink in - then apply makeup, if that's what you do.)

For the lips, I am currently using an 'Alba organics' vegan lip balm that I found in a health food store. I love it. It really feels good on the lips (not greasy or too thick), and I think it lasts a while. (That is, I don't feel the need to reapply it every few minutes.) It's also made with coconut oil, so it smells yummy. I have also tried Merry Hempsters vegan lip balm - I think it works well also, but it is a bit 'greasier' than the Alba organics stuff, although the Alba stuff is a little pricey.

Just FYI - I'm in my late 20s, and I'm at that weird stage where I still get acne but I also have dry, flaky skin. I have started looking at products intended for more 'mature' skin - they tend to moisturize better.

Hope this helps a little. Sorry I can't recommend the perfect products, but I think the products that work best vary from person to person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Just FYI - I'm in my late 20s, and I'm at that weird stage where I still get acne but I also have dry, flaky skin. I have started looking at products intended for more 'mature' skin - they tend to moisturize better.

That weird stage is more then just in your 20's. Heck, I'm 40 and although my skin isnt as greasy as it used to be, it's still oily but I get dry flaky skin around my T-zone.
#5 Old 12-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I am plagued by dry, itchy, eczema-prone skin. Here's what's working for me after long years of experimentations and allergies to virtually every product:

Try cocoa butter and/or shea butter for your legs, arms, and hands. It absorbs into your skin really pretty fast so you might not get that greasy feeling. I'm partial to the cocoa butter and shea butter "body butters" at Body Shop. If you use the cocoa butter, you will likely smell of chocolate so try not to go crazy with it

I recently discovered the Burt's Bees Sweet Almond Oil (which actually contains no bee products that I can detect. Immediately after getting out of the shower, I rub my legs and arms with it. It has lemon oil in it so it smells faintly clean but not pungent like a lot of lotions. At least for me, it absorbs incredibly fast into my skin. I spent most of early November scratching my skin so badly that I occasionally drew blood, the almond oil has made such a difference for me!

For lips, I have Desert Essence Lip Rescue (bought at Whole Foods), it has shea butter and beeswax in it so it's a great moisturizer but not vegan. It's extra moisturizing and not slimy.

I'll be following this threat with rapt interest, I have yet to find anyway to deal with the dry skin on my face!
#6 Old 12-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

My dry skin problems aren't as severe as yours, but I found getting away from body washes containing sodium lauryl sulfate made a world of difference. Since I started using Aubrey Organics Everday Body Soap in the shower, I never feel that tight dryness when I get out anymore. Aubrey is pretty expensive, though-- Tom's of Maine body wash is quite a bit cheaper and almost as good.
#7 Old 12-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks a lot guys!

Haha, I have cotton gloves. I was a bit paranoid about using them, but now I guess I have to.

I also have to be careful about what I get on my hands. I play the guitar and am paranoid about losing my callouses.

Last time I took a trip to the city, which was back in May, we picked up some body butters from The Body Shop. Lol, the only reason I ended up in there was because for no reason while shopping, my ankle got right itchy, duh, scratching it made it worse. So I snuck some free sample onto there and my mom bought some body butters. I was on my way to bowling provincials. The last thing I needed was an itchy anekl. I didn't care for the smell, so I didn't use them much. My mom ended up using it all. I won't be getting back there until the spring.

I should check out our local health food store... we have one... I just haven't been in it...

I thought if you used body lotion on your face, it would clog your pores...
#8 Old 12-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I recently bought Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Lotion and it is amazing. I use it all over my entire body. It's the only thing I've found that comes close to Aquaphor Ointment, except that it isn't greasy/vasoliney (like aquaphor). Its really smooth and soaks in fast and you don't feel greasy.

For my lips I use either Burts Bees lip balm or a bit of Aquaphor.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 12-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

For lotion I would toss that Vaseline crap in the garbage, seriously. Try Avon's MOISTURE THERAPY Intensive Body Lotion, it is thick and wonderful for the winter time. It is a bit sticky when you put it on, but it goes away quickly. That is really the only bad thing about the lotion though, and it's worth it.

For lips try Aveeno, I use to have horrible chapped lips because I picked at them, I started using Aveenos lip moisturizer and it worked wonderfully!
#10 Old 12-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried Hemp Seed Oil?

This is brilliant on skin complaints & dry skin. It helped a friend of mine with bad skin psciriosis (spelling?) & nothing else had helped him.

It's natural & cheap remedy which I have found very effective.

Good luck...
#11 Old 12-14-2005, 06:39 PM

Bjorn - by eating it or putting it on your skin?
#12 Old 12-14-2005, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmuncher View Post

Bjorn - by eating it or putting it on your skin?

Smoke it!

No, only jokin, you can get hempseed oil cream specifically for skin use.

Also pure hemp seed oil can be used (eaten) in the same way as flaxseed oil & is supposedly even more beneficial than flax (tastes better imho)
#13 Old 12-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

have you tried eating more healthy fats?...

that might work or help unless you've already tried that and i missed that..
#14 Old 12-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Arbonne's body lotion rocks. It soaks right in and doesn't have much of a scent.

I believe that mineral oil/petrolatum/paraffin ingredients in some of the drugstore brands is what makes them inferior. It's a byproduct of the crude oil industry and is nothing but a cheap filler in lotions. It creates a barrier on your skin that doesn't let the good moisture and antioxidants in your skin, and also doesn't let the toxins out (your skin breathes).

Plant oils provide more benefit. If you want the ultimate in dry skin help, try Arbonne's sea salt scrub in the shower and then moisturize when you get out. Ahhh, it's so quenching!!!
#15 Old 12-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I like pure Aloe.
#16 Old 12-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

I like pure Aloe.

Doesn't that dry your skin though? I put it on my sunburn that I got on one arm from drivning 5 hours in the sun and it felt very drying as I recall.

While we are on the subject can anyone recommend a good FACE moisturizer? I haven't had the problem until this winter, I've got red blotches of dry skin that feel like sandpaper on my face. I want something that I can't feel.

ETA: what I mean by can't feel is that I don't want anything that feels greasy and heavy.
#17 Old 12-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

You might want to make sure you're getting enough healthy fats in your diet, and that you're staying very well hydrated.

Aside from that, I like the "herbal moisturizing" lotion from Nature's Gate for body use...it worked (works) even on my patchy elbows. It's a bit greasy, but absorbs quickly. I just recently starting using this stuff that I bought from work that is less greasy and works great on my hands (I haven't used it all over yet). It's the citrus stuff by www.prettybabysoap.com I especially like that I can identify all the ingredients. heh

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#18 Old 12-16-2005, 02:05 AM
Veggie Regular

my hands... are burning! my knuckles look red from a distance. up close they're actually covered in tiny cuts. the skin's just splitting open all over. the skin around the base of my thumbs feels like sandpaper and looks like leather. and the backs of my hands are.. wrinkly.

everyone at work asks why i don't moisturize.. i do at home. at work i don't use anything cause i'm handling money and movie rentals (which are filthy!) and the dirt and dust sticks to the greasiness of the lotion and within 5 minutes of applying anything my hands feel so dirty and gross i have to wash them. our store is just very dry so it gets worse there, my lips split open and peel at work too.

as for flaky skin on my face, i always have that. the legs.. are always itchy.

my guess: i don't drink water. like.. ever.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#19 Old 12-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, it is definitely that time of year. I just got into Burt's bees stuff a bit ago and they have a bunch of good moisturizers, though I haven't seen the almond oil before. My favorite at the moment is the milk & honey lotion. I put lotion on wherever I have dry skin every night to try to fight off the winter weather and use a light moisturizer during the day.

LadyFaile, I bet water does have something to do with that...you might want to try putting lotion on and waiting 10 min to touch anything so it doesn't mix with the rest of what you touch. Or find a moisturizing anti-bacterial gel....
#20 Old 12-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

My moms hands get so dry in the winter that they sometimes bleed. She uses Badger Balm overnight and that really helps.
#21 Old 05-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Banned

Have you tried Arbonne's products??? They are all vegan certified ~ Skin care, baby care, nutrition and vitamins. No testing on animals!!!

You can also get 35%-80% off when you sign on for $29 your first year and $15 next year!!!

Arbonne's skin care is great for all skin types and I love their vitamins.

Take a look for yourself.

My website is melaniecamargo.myarbonne.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page