Dairy Cravings - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-24-2003, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I have succesfully eliminated meat for about two months now - solid, and have seriously limited my knowing consumption of cheese (never a milk drinker), and I just don't eat eggs for the sake of eating eggs, they taste and smell kind of gross.

So, today, I find myself craving dairy. I can't get enough dairy products... to the point that I ate an entire 1/2 lb. container of whole milk cottage cheese for lunch, and heaped a bunch of sour cream on top of dinner.

Ok, today was a haywire food day anyway, but the dairy component is freaky.

Now as I stare at my distended, and totally upset stomach, I wonder, has anyone else had similar cravings?

How do you deal with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-24-2003, 09:59 PM

I was never big into cheeses, but drank at least a half a gallon of milk a day between cereal, cookies and just drinking it. Now I drink a ton of soy milk. SILK.

Maybe your diet is low in calcium, or some other component that dairy is high in. Do you have a varied diet? A healthily varied diet? If it was just today that you got the craving then maybe you shouldn't have rewarded the craving. If you're healthy and not lacking anything which causes you to crave dairy the only way to make such cravings go away is to ignore them and eventually they'll stop.

That's the best I've got for you. I hope it wasn't totally unhelpful.

rigmarole
#3 Old 06-24-2003, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

indeed.

I don't crave them anymore, honestly.

Analogues like soy milk and soy ice cream don't cure the craving? If I feel like having that ice cream type of dessert, the soy ice creams more than satisfy that craving. I don't even associate the craving with dairy so much as the texture and temperature of the product.

I know cheese is a tough one, but I simply forced myself to resist whenever I craved a slice of Lamonica's New York pizza while walking by the restaurant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-25-2003, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Give yourself time to stop craving. I have been a veggie for 7 years and seriously cut down on dairy and eggs in the last 6 months.

I pretty much never crave dairy products on their own (glass of milk, slice of cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc). My big problem is that eggs and small amounts of cheese are in baked products and food that I get out (not cooked myself). I haven't decided what to do about that yet, since I do find myself wanting to eat said items....
#5 Old 06-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I was never into milk that much, but used to eat a lot of cheese and loved ice cream even though it made me ill. I stopped eating all dairy cold turkey, and now the thought of it grosses me out. It makes me think of mucous. Maybe if you start thinking of it as mucous it would gross you out too...
#6 Old 06-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to get dairy cravings when I first gave it up. I cheated a few times the first year of not eating it. But, now I don't crave it. Soy milk and soy ice cream help, but I think mostly I have just weaned myself off of it now so my body doesn't miss it anymore - the 3rd and last time I cheated the richness of the dairy just really made me feel ill. The craving will go away for you in time.

I also just think to myself how unhealthy dairy is with all of the hormones, fat, and drugs in it. That always helps.
#7 Old 06-26-2003, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, and believe it or not, eating spinach helps. Maybe it's b/c spinach has calcium, but if I am feeling really dairy-hungry, eating a large bowl of steamed spinach just satisfies the craving completely.
#8 Old 06-26-2003, 02:06 PM
Banned

tack a note to your fridge reminding yourself of how these food products came about. can anyone really eat a slice of cheese if they're thinking about the torture that the animals went through and exactly where cheese comes from? i get queasy just thinking about it..
#9 Old 06-26-2003, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I always just picture the cheese when it's melted but sort of cooling off - when it gets that slimy greasy look to it. That so grosses me out - it's like a big goblet of animal fat. That helps deter me.
#10 Old 07-03-2003, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe the reason for your cravings is lack of triglycerides. Try nuts instead of milkproducts. Most probably it´s not the calcium and though spinach is rich in calcium and iron, it isn´t a good source because of its contents of oxalic acid.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#11 Old 07-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I've recently given up dairy (I'm finishing up day 11 of no cheating... you don't want to know how many times I've had to restart that counter the last few months!) and I've noticed that if I have something with fat in it -- not even necessarily a lot -- my craving will dissipate. I've eaten a lot of fried tofu lately.

And tofutti cuties and soy delicious are fabulous for ice cream cravings... I gave up ice cream a long time ago, though. I'm currently only battling the cheese on pizza and in Mexican food. It helps that cheese has been making me somewhat ill for a while now (my stomach feels like it's turning inside out every time I eat cheese), but it tastes so good that I'm often willing to deal with that. So sad...

I like tofutti cream cheese, and I'm about to try their sour cream, but I wish they'd come out with a good vegan cheese.

Good luck!
#12 Old 07-13-2003, 10:42 AM

i am a vegetarian since 89 and a vegan at least 6-7 yrs. i still crave dairy all the time. i want to bite into hunks of cheddar, eat string mozzerella, lelt muenster, have craft mac and cheese, scarf down feta witha salad, eat calzones till i puke...u get the idea. i don't do it, cause i simply cannot enjoy the taste alone any longer, i cannot enjoy them at all because i now know, and truly care about their source. this si what prompted me to stop eating them. for a time i ate just kosher cheese cause it has no rennet, or caesin, or is non dairy derived, but then even that wasn't enough. still, i could not enjoy them. but the substitutes have not stopped my craving them. i have never for ex found a vegan coffee "ice cream" that tasted like the real thing. i have never found any of the substitutes to tatse anything like real cheese. i never liked meat all that much so never crave that. i eat the subs cause i actually like those better and i use them as protien sources in a hurry. i think some food maufacturer could become a zillionaire if he only could invent a vegan cheese that no one could tell from the real thing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page