B12 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-24-2003, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

ok i know this has been posted before, but does anyone know roughly how much i should be getting? i read it somewhere but can't find it now.

my doctor's office called yesterday saying my last blood test showed something abnormal so i need to go in. so i called back today to make the appointment and the receptionist said the results showed my B12 is a little low. i'm going in on thursday afternoon, i'll find out exactly how low i really am, maybe it's nothing to worry about.

i did have a few days at work where i was really dazed, couldn't focus or think straight etc, and i'd read that those are early signs of low B12 (not at the stage where it's dangerous) so i bought some B complex. i haven't been taking them every day because i didn't think i needed to, but i will be now i guess. they have 50mcg of B12 in them, is this enough? the bottle says to only take one per day, but you can buy stronger ones (100mcg) so i imagine it can't be dangerous to take 2 can it?

ergh, i don't know. i'll find out what the doc says thursday but i fear he won't be too helpful as i'm his last patient before his weeklong holiday begins

my brother's girlfriend was vegetarian and ended up with B12 deficiency. we all know this is controllable without eating meat but her doc said she should stop being veg and she was freaked out enough that she believed him and went omni

no chance of that happening here, but i'm expecting my doc to say much the same

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-24-2003, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know what the minimum daily requirement is, but I do know that Luna bars contain 100% of the daily requirement based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Eating one a day would be an easy and delicious way to make sure you get your B12!
#3 Old 06-24-2003, 02:41 PM

You would make me look this up, wouldn't you? hehe I don't know B12 info off the top of my head.

2.4mcg per day is the normal dose for adults. However, as people age, they may lose the ability to absorb it. That's why the doses are very large. The 100mcg ones are for seniors.

Now, let's go over a few things that I do know off hand

Are you a vegan or a vegetarian? If you're a vegetarian, I don't know how the heck this happened. If you're a vegan, it may have happened for a few reasons:

1. You may not be using an active B12 source in your daily diet. Active sources include most fortified soymilks, Yves products (I know their's is active, not sure about others) and nutritional yeast.

2. You may not absorb it from vitamins as well as other people. I know I do not, but it is supposed to be an uncommon problem. I also have the same problem with iron.

3. If you are a lacto-ovo, have you been dieting and leaving out dairy and eggs directly but not replacing the B12 in your diet? For example, you'll have products with whey in it, but you won't eat a piece of full fat cheese.

Allow me to say this - it is kinda unfair of us to criticize your brother's GF's choice. There are people, albeit a small number, that find it ultra hard to get B12 and iron from vitamins, so foods offer a better choice. So, before people jump up and down at her, let's concentrate on your condition, not her's.

Does this help you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-24-2003, 02:42 PM

active B12 is called - cobalamin, cyanocobalamin

Look for one of those words in ingredient lists.
#5 Old 06-24-2003, 02:44 PM

btw, (sorry for the multi posts)

I used to eat a cardboard bar a day and still got anemia

I don't do well with fortified foods.
#6 Old 06-24-2003, 02:45 PM
Banned

"B12"

You sank my battleship!

(sorry, couldn't resist)
#7 Old 06-24-2003, 02:57 PM
Beginner

I also had issues with keeping my B12 at a healthy level. I ended up getting B12 shots once a month or once every two months-on top of trying to keep it in my diet. That has seemed to work well so far! I'm not afraid of needles and the cost is covered by my health plan so for me it was a good solution.

You need that B12 for your brain so find a way that works for you on a consistent basis.
#8 Old 06-24-2003, 03:01 PM

hahaha max power! good one! heh

I take a vit tablet and it has 100% rda of b12 in it, but sometimes i take an actual b12 tablet
#9 Old 06-24-2003, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Hedgefrog

hahaha max power! good one! heh

Gee, thanks I had my choices. I could have gone with "Yahtzee!" or "Bingo!" but in the end I stand by my decision.
#10 Old 06-24-2003, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

i take 1000ml injection of b12 (cyanocobalamin) every month. my body does not manufacture intrisic factor so....i HAVE to take the shot. i don't know how RX's work in "canadia" but....it costs me about 10.00 for 6 months worth and .25 per syringe (NOT covered by insurance but so what it's cheap)
#11 Old 06-24-2003, 03:11 PM

Prescriptions are cheaper in Canada then in the US hehe
#12 Old 06-24-2003, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I KNOW! damn you and your socialized medicine!
#13 Old 06-24-2003, 03:34 PM

giggle

Actually, our health care is free. Rx's are not.

The main reason Rx's are cheaper is because we do not allow advertising the way the US does. We also allow generic brands to be sold. It all ends up making the meds less money.

For example, when I get a lung infection due to a cold, flu, etc, I need to take special antibotics, 1 extra inhaler, and sometimes a steriod and codeine. This costs $45-65CDN. I became ill while doing work in the US and had to go to the hospital. I had a list from the doctor of what I needed, they gave me exactly what I always had...and it cost $145US! Thankfully, my company paid for it, but still!
#14 Old 06-24-2003, 03:35 PM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

Vitamin B-12 is kind of funny. If you take a small amount it's absorbed much more efficiently. So, the more often you take it the less total B-12 you need to take. And older people don't absorb it as well from food so the the ADA recommends that people over 50 take vitamin B-12 supplements whether they are: vegan, vegetarian or omnivore.

Here's a really good article on vitamin B-12.

Vitamin B-12
#15 Old 06-24-2003, 03:45 PM

/cheers at Sandie

Someone else with a defective body!
#16 Old 06-24-2003, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

defective how?? mine or yours??? i know mine is defective..... i hate going on steroids...have to for asthma and it drives me nuts (nuttier). i keep them in the house just in case. generics here even are $$$$. for generic prozac in 150 US for THIRTY PILLS. my advair is over 160 US!!!!!!!! i could scream.
#17 Old 06-24-2003, 06:00 PM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

sandiemac, if you live in the US you can order prescription medications from Canada and save. My wife oders fosamax from Canada. It cost about $70.00 for a 4 week supply were we live in the US. We pay $39.00 at the pharmacy in Canada for the exact same medication. Here is a link to the place in Canada.

rx1 (prescription medication from Canada)
#18 Old 06-24-2003, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks...i'll have to look into it.
#19 Old 06-24-2003, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

My soymilk has 50% of daily B12 in one serving. It's the Whole Foods 365 brand. I also take a multivitamin, and I like the energy drinks that have B12 in them. Plus, there's fortified cereals and I stand by my Luna Bars. I don't think they taste remotely like cardboard and, trust me, I've tried cardboard, so I know.
#20 Old 06-25-2003, 12:36 AM
Veggie Regular

They make a Vegetarian sublingual B12 tablet (I can't remember the brand, but it's sold in most health food stores). I've read that taking B12 sublingually (let the tablet disolve under the tongue) is the best way to ensure that you are getting enough B12.
#21 Old 06-25-2003, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Probably solgar.

The doses you need per day is very little, but you also absorb a little percentage of what you take.

So if you take 100mcg you might absorb max.5mcg.

Ok back to LF's question.

1- You can't overdose on B12

2- I'd start using 100mcg B12 per day on top of what you are using already.

3- I wouldn't double the multi you take because you might "overdose" on some other vitamin.

Ask the doctor the figures of the test (get a copy), because "low" can be a personal interpretation of the doctor.

It's good to know for you what the level of B12 exactly is.
#22 Old 06-25-2003, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah i'm hoping he'll give me all that info. again, this is a new doctor, i've been to see him once and didn't like him but he's the only one in town that was taking new patients. once my thyroxin levels are stable i'll probably ask him to refer me to someone else.

what i've been taking is this:

every other day or so i take a multi and a cal-mag

on the opposite day i take a B complex (50) and a cal-mag

i pretty much started taking the B just a couple days before i had the blood test done, so i was expecting the test to come back low really. i'm getting blood taken tomorrow most likely and in a couple weeks we'll see how the results are (takes forever, grr).

i used to just rely on fortified foods and luna bars like some of you, but then i moved here. there's still a lot of meat alternatives but the price is higher around here, and i can't find luna bars for the life of me. the one vitamin place in the mall used to have them but threw them out cause they expired. now the guy says he won't get more in for a while cause they have to order a really big shipment to make it worthwhile and they don't need to yet. argh.

the health food store that has like everything only had one flavour of them last time i went and it was one i don't like. i think it was key lime or something. blah. also they're way too expensive around here

i'm thinking when i have the money i'll order them by the case online.

oh, and i'm vegan

thanks for all the advice, i guess i'll find out tomorrow. only now i don't know if i can make my appointment. i managed to arrange a split shift at work so i can make my appointment but only barely and only if i get a ride, but then we found out my bf's liscence has been suspended (screwup with a past due ticket, grrr) so he can't drive me. i live about halfway between work and the dr. and it's a 20 to 25 minute walk to either. no way can i get there by foot anywhere near in time

life is complicated, waaaaah

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#23 Old 06-26-2003, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

For those of you who take B12 vitamins ~

I always resist taking my B12 vitamins, b/c whenever I do they make me feel really flushed and anxious. Does anyone else have this problem? I try to get enough from fortified foods, but I'm sure I may not be getting quite enough. But, taking those vitamins makes me feel like I'm going to have a panic attack.
#24 Old 06-26-2003, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

that's a really unusual reaction, happydaisy. That is more of a niacin reaction, referred to as a niacin flush. All of the B vitamins work to help the nervous system. Maybe you could try a different brand?
#25 Old 06-27-2003, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

i rely on the shot. it's once a month and if you can get past the needle (9 years as an army medic and a diabetic *i* have no problem but i understand i'm the exception not the rule ). you do need a scrip but...if you're already low ladyf that should not be a problem to get and it's CHEEP ($8.99 US for 10 MONTHS worth and .25 per syringe)
#26 Old 06-27-2003, 09:58 AM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

HappyDaisy, I don't know how large of a dose you tried taking but maybe taking a smaller dose would help. Vitamin B-12 supplements vary from 10 mcg (or less) up to 2000 mcg. If you take only 10 mcg then you need to take it every day. The 2000 mcg pills are for those that want to take it only weekly. Also, some people need to take larger amounts because they have difficulty absorbing vitamin B-12.

Normally people can take large amounts of vitamin B-12 without any problems. The excess just passes through the body but all of us are different.
#27 Old 06-27-2003, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Vit. B12 needs intrinsic factor (produced in the stmoach) to get absorbed in the guts. Normally 0.2 µg would be enough, with 50 or 100 µg you won´t get much more, because the intrinsic factor is limiting the amount of the possible intake of B12. There might be a small amount passively entering the body, but I wouldn´t count on it. Antibodies against intrinsic are seen in people with B12 deficiency anemia. Thése people would have to rely on B12 shots.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#28 Old 06-27-2003, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I believe my B12 is 1200 mcg. That's a lot, huh!

I have stopped taking it. I take a multi-vitamin that has a much lower dose of B12 now (but I take it daily). I don't seem to have a reaction to that one.
#29 Old 06-27-2003, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Lothar M Kirsch

Vit. B12 needs intrinsic factor (produced in the stmoach) to get absorbed in the guts. )

Right! I have an intrinsic factor problem so supplement w/1000 mg (mcg ???) of b12 (cyanocobalamin) injection monthly. i believe intrinsic factor deficiency anemia is called pernicious anemia. the shots work wonders though...i feel great for a couple days after
#30 Old 06-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

HappyDaisy, if the multi-vitamin says it has 100% of the vitamin B-12 then you are probably getting enough from that alone. And you eat B-12 fortified food.

Lothar M Kirsch, you might find the article at http://www.veganoutreach.org/health/b12letter.html interesting. According to the article we need to absorb 1.5 mcgs of vitamin B-12 per day. To actually absorb that much the US recommends an intake of 2.4 mcgs per day. Since only a small amount is efficiently absorbed at a time the most efficient way to absorb B-12 is by ingesting small amounts of it several times a day.

If large amounts are taken part the vitamin B-12 is still absorbed but much less efficiently. The article says

Quote:
Absorption of B12 varies from about 50%, if about 1 mcg or less is consumed, to about 0.5% for doses of 1000 mcgs (1 mg) or above

I think that's why they put more than 2.4 mcgs in the supplements. Since the supplements are usually taken only once per day a larger amount is needed. The absorption rate is lower. And like I said in my earlier post if you take it once per week you need to take really a lot to get enough vitamin B-12 for the week. 2000 mcgs per week works out to 286 mcgs per day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page