hair falling out - help - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-06-2005, 07:51 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

are you getting enoguh protein? could it be your thyroid?

it could just be that you are in apoint in your "cycle" where you lose more hair than before..
#3 Old 11-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Banned

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/hairloss

check out fitday.com and see how you are really eating. Often times, we think we are eating well enough, but we actually aren't.

If your diet does check out, then see a doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-06-2005, 08:06 PM

I just wanted to share that it is normal to loose 80 to 100 hairs a day. If it is not coming out in clumps, I would not worry too much. See how much is in your drain after you wash your hair.

It could also be a protein thing also.
#5 Old 11-06-2005, 09:05 PM

This has been happening with me too. I'm constantly finding hair on my pillow, all over the bathroom floor, in the bathtub drain, and it clings to the back of my shirt. Do you have long hair? More of mine seems to fall out when my hair gets to be really long (and right now it's at the middle of my back). I just assume it's the weight of my hair that's making it come out.
#6 Old 11-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Why don't you write out a sample of what you would normally eat in a day so we can see if it's nutritional?
#7 Old 11-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

a zinc deficiency can cause you to lose hair. also, take your multivitamin with OJ. the ascorbic acid found in OJ helps your body to absorb the vitamins better.
#8 Old 11-07-2005, 03:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post

This has been happening with me too. I'm constantly finding hair on my pillow, all over the bathroom floor, in the bathtub drain, and it clings to the back of my shirt. Do you have long hair? More of mine seems to fall out when my hair gets to be really long (and right now it's at the middle of my back). I just assume it's the weight of my hair that's making it come out.

And, when your hair is long, you notice the loose hairs around your house much more. My sister had very thick, dark brown hair, and when it was long, it seemed that it was all over the place, dark hairs everywhere. Now she has cut it short, and I really don't notice it anymore, just because the hairs are much smaller. And ofcourse, dark or black hair stand out more then lighter hair, when is is lying around.

As long as you don't see any difference in the thickness of the hair on yor head, then maybe there is nothing wrong. But, it doens't hurt too look at your diet carefully though
#9 Old 11-07-2005, 08:13 AM

#10 Old 11-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was vegan I also had the same problem. I was "fine" for like 9 months before it really started coming out in clumps. It was discouraging, depressing, scary... it got so bad that I started eating dairy again because my family was really worried and I didn't really have a choice. After that it stopped falling out. I'm not saying you should eat dairy again but definitely see a doctor if it gets worse.
#11 Old 11-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Banned

Dairy = a high source of zinc
#12 Old 11-08-2005, 03:52 PM

Hang upside down, it improves circulation to the scalp
#13 Old 11-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushl3ss View Post

Well, the only thing I can think of myself is that it may be thyroid.

Do you have any other symptoms that would lead you to believe it's your thyroid? Hair loss can be due to anything from stress, to diet, to simply damaging your hair. I am not vegan, but I've been experiencing hair loss. My doctor has been testing for everything from thyroid function to a testosterone imbalance. If you are experiencing symptoms beyond hair loss and/or are developing bald patches on your scalp, I urge you to see a doctor. It could be a symptom of a much bigger problem. Regardless, I'd suggest focusing on good nutrition including plenty of zinc, essential fats, and B-vitamins, avoiding harsh chemical hair treatments (including coloring and overstyling), and keeping stress in check.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page