Crap :X [difficulty gaining weight - mom thinks anorexia] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-05-2005, 05:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay so my mother thinks im anorexic because when I became vegan I lost a ton of weight. I'm 14 5'3 and 90 pounds and continue to loose weight when im trying to gain. I eat 3 meals a day with 2 snacks. I do the whole nuts, avacado, banana, peanut butter thing...but I still loose weight! She says she'll "send me somewhere" because Im "anorexic" (yeah even though I have a plate full of food right in front of my face when she tells me this.)

yesterday I ate all the food in my house but I lost 3 pounds! Shes serious about this too. I need to gain, fast.

Could you guys help me please? I feel like im binging on food just so I can please her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-05-2005, 06:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh man girl, you really are thin...

And I don't even know how to help you. Maybe you should see a doctor about it? Maybe it's something serious that makes you loose weight so much, like a problem with your thyroid gland?

If it is over-active you tend to be very thin. I think you should consult a doctor.
#3 Old 11-05-2005, 06:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Agh. I knew it would come to this...

Thanks for your help. I guess seeing a doctor is the only thing to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-05-2005, 06:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I think it's best. I absolutely believe you that you don't have anorexia, and that's why I think you should just go to a 'regular' doctor to check your thyroid gland etc.

Sorry
#5 Old 11-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree, you should really see a doctor. Hope everything works out.
#6 Old 11-05-2005, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, that's a tough situation.

Have you tried using www.fitday.com to see how many calories you're actually getting?
#7 Old 11-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm... sounds like me heh.

Are you VERY sure you are eating enough to support your growth? I mean, when I was trying to gain weight but wouldn't (granted I did have a fast metabolism...but so do you it sounds like) I thought it would be impossible. The thing is, I really was only eating about 2500 calories a day when I needed around 7k (6k was about that amont I need to stay the same weight) or more. Needing a lot of food is hard because it is so different from the normal. I would always rip-up buffet places with my friends and they would be astounded, and my food bill actually needed to be paid for by some other people because it was SO large a week.

So yes... go to a doctor, do fitday (but don't do it obsessively) but first and foremost... eat more than you think. A typical breakfast for me:

- about 6 cups of Granola with milk (or soy), a full bagel with peanut butter and jam, about 30 oz of OJ and some 2 or so eggs.

I would eat it all at one, but you can spread it out just a little if need be IF you make sure you get it all in. So... yea, please keep us updated.

Cheers.

Edit: and mae sure you don't count calories. If you want you can do one day, but after that just drop it. I'm not really taking just about the part where it bothers some people, but trying to count up all your food (because it will be so much) can sometimes take 15-20 minutes at almost every meal. Plus... it just takes the fun out of eating .
#8 Old 11-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think my metabolism is very high.

Okay today wasn't a very good day..I had mostly processed foods. Do you think this is enough so far? Or too much? It's only 1:10 pm. (I didn't have lunch either- I just snacked)

Breakfast: (1/2 cup dry oats) Oatmeal with cinnamon and cloves, strawberries

Snack: Roasted and salted pumpkin seeds (probably about 1/2 cup)

Snack: Stonyfeild o'soy yogurt cup

Snack: Organic Raisins (big handful)

Snack: apple

Snack: toasted nuts and cranberry luna bar

I also walked/jogged on my treadmill for 30 minutes and burned about 280 calories.

I'll probably eat again in three more hours. Plus I have dinner which is always huge.
#9 Old 11-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

have you thought of adding some soymilk or rice milk and some nuts to your oatmeal in the morning? it would pump it up
#10 Old 11-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

After all of that ^ I had

Snack: Pineapple

Dinner: Biggggggggg salad with tons of mixed veggies and nutritional yeast dressing, bowl of split pea type of soup (probably like 500 calories worth of it)

Dessert: Strawberry cheesecake tofutti icecream

Theres no way that I am not getting enough calories, thats about 2000 or more, man...I have a problem.
#11 Old 11-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Is there a way I can eat alot of high-calorie food, without eating so much?

Im going to burst open. I eat too much.

I got a comment from my mom too, she was talking to my brother cause he never eats...(of course she doesn't care that he doesn't eat, but she accuses me of anorexia) she was like "your going to turn out like heather, and end up not eating anything at all." I was so mad at her!

Sorry. I had to vent.
#12 Old 11-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGirl3 View Post

After all of that ^ I had

Snack: Pineapple

Dinner: Biggggggggg salad with tons of mixed veggies and nutritional yeast dressing, bowl of split pea type of soup (probably like 500 calories worth of it)

Dessert: Strawberry cheesecake tofutti icecream

Theres no way that I am not getting enough calories, thats about 2000 or more, man...I have a problem.

You're probably eating enough food, but most of it isn't very high in calories. Add extra fats to your food (margarine to your oatmeal, extra oil on your salad and in your soup, peanut butter on your apple, etc.) If you're having trouble gaining weight the extra fat/calories can only help. Also I would add a few extra servings of whole grains they've got more calories than the fruits/veggies and you really need that right now.

On an unrelated note: Isn't that tofutti cheesecake ice cream good?!? I've had to ground myself from the health food store to quit eating it.
#13 Old 11-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Banned

You are eating a lot of raw and high fibre foods - they look like a lot of calories, but they really aren't. I don't think you are getting 2000 calories. A 500 calorie split pea soup is just over 3 cups of soup. Did you really have 3 CUPS of soup? (that's nearly a litre of soup!).

Try this:

B: smoothie (w/ full-fat milk - soy or otherwise and peanut butter); slice of toast w/ margarine; raw fruit

L: bean burritto, rice, and juice; raw carrot

D: veggie dog w/ bun, french fries, small salad (about 1-2 cups worth)

S: Cracker Jacks, Bits and Bites, Nuts and Bolts or another homemade vegan form of a popular salty snack food

S: sandwich; homemade cookies; "milk"

S: smoothie w/ flaxseed oil, full fat milk, etc

If you don't gain weight, you will have to go to the doctor. If you do not have a medical problem, then it is your eating that is causing your weight loss. For now, drop the running.

In the end, if you have to give up for veganism for your health, no one will think the less of you for it. However, there is nothing wrong with trying as hard as you can to gain weight while still vegan. Just don't hurt yourself.
#14 Old 11-06-2005, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

That doesn't sound like so much food to me, I eat that much or more in a normal day and that just maintains my weight.
#15 Old 11-07-2005, 05:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Well I sit in school all day so I don't get any excersize besides running.

Okay I'll try that thank you FreshTart!

So far:

Breakfast: Cracked wheat cereal with lots of ground cinnamon and cloves, 6 medium strawberries, banana, trail mix.

Snack: Trail mix

Lunch: 2 big slices of three seed bread, tofurkey, lettuce, and hummus.
#16 Old 11-07-2005, 06:01 AM

I woud agree with what everyone else is saying that while it may seem like a lot of calories, you really aren't taking in that much.

Also, I'm sorry if this is taken wrong, but when you say things like "lots of cinnamon and cloves" and emphasizing the size of your salad, all of these things contain very little calories, especially the cinnamon. Have you been trying to lose weight in the past? If on a long term diet, someone's general idea of portion sizes and whatnot tends to get kind of skewed.

I hope I dont offend you in any way, but I used to be anorexic, and some of the things you're saying remind me of how I used to be. I would emphasize eating huge amounts of food, albeit lower calorie food, to make myself feel like I was eating normally as well as to pass it off when others would ask me. But I've since had to more than triple what I eat to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle.

If you truly want to boost up your caloric intake without much volume, use oils and things like peanut/almond butter and tahini. Don't buy low fat products, just pack it in. Use margarine in your oatmeal, like someone said. Add sliced almonds to your salads, snack on some cashews while you're at it. Just focus on calorie dense things, not lighter fare.

I'm just worried that you might not be eating as much as you think, or worse not as much as you're telling us. With regard to what your mother is saying, often the truth in any given situation lies somewhere between the two opposing arguments, both of you have credibility, I seriously doubt she would just be attacking you about this kind of subject if she had no basis for it.

Again, I hope this doesn't offend you, I'm just speaking from experience.
#17 Old 11-08-2005, 08:11 PM

see a docter, i had the same problum i lost 14 pounds in a mounth and i almost passed out, now they wont let me be vegetarian, but it turned out i had an overactive thyroid gland, its dangrus to, im 5"6' and 100 pounds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page