Calling All Hamsters - Week #27 Ending 6/28/03 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-21-2003, 11:36 PM
Sky
Veggie Regular

Week #27

Please do all posting here and let the other thread go.

Mission: The Veggies Boards Hamster Club, is a group of fitness/health minded vegans and vegetarians who support each other in their endeavors in fitness, diet, and health. Anyone who chooses can post to this thread. There are no dues or fees, just a desire to share our efforts and support one another. Let's hear from you all!!!!

Its a new week....let's rock!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2003, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

We went camping thurs-sat along the Kern river. It was so beautiful. Unfortuently, I haven't been doing much hamstering. We went on a few short hikes but thats about it. We did see a black bear though. Twice! That was really awsome.

I really need to get back in the swing of things!
#3 Old 06-22-2003, 06:17 PM

4 mile run; weights and cal--chest, triceps, biceps, shoulders, and abs day; nice long stretching session.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2003, 07:13 PM

Hi Hampsters!

Today-

13 miles of biking, on and off-road

1/2 hour hike

10 minutes stretching
#5 Old 06-22-2003, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

3 mile run and alot of moving furnature up and down stairs.
#6 Old 06-22-2003, 10:08 PM

Hi Hamsters!

TodayI did a 34 mile bike ride........went through the very end of Southern Maryland........went to Point Lookout - to the lighthouse. That whole area is supposed to be haunted with civil war ghosts........very cool riding! It's nice to see things you miss in your own backyard! I had a blast and was with my husband so it was extra special!

Yesterday did Pilates for an hour and tomorrow............run for 4 miles.

I have a question for all the hamsters........do you guys feel like you can't get enough food after a really hard workout?????? I feel like I could eat anything that steps in my way! GGGGRRRR - and I am trying to lose weight! Oh well - I still had a great day!

Keep hamstering!
#7 Old 06-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Hamsters!

Back from camping, what a beautiful weekend! First camping trip in a long time that it didn't rain on us Went on a very hilly 3 1/2 or so mile run at the park, also lots of walking and some swimming. Six miles tonight at home...it was a rough run tonight...ouch!

Flower, we went to Yellowstone Lake state park...it's west of Madison near Blanchardville...nice park, really out in the stix. There was a group of Amish or Mennenite? folks at the park picnicing...don't usually see them around...especially mixing it up in a public park? Very intriguing those folks...

Happy Hamstering people!
#8 Old 06-22-2003, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Hehehe! smauer, after my really long runs I proceed to eat all the food in the house...and then sometimes I even go out to buy more
#9 Old 06-22-2003, 10:16 PM

What do you all mean by hamster? Haven't been doing much hamstering? What does that mean? Keep hamstering?

I do 3 - 5 miles of fast walking/run-jogging most days a week. Is that hamstering? I also lift weights almost daily and stretch daily.

34 mile bike ride smaurer, that must've been awesome. I wish I had a bike. I also wish I had a nice area to ride around. The scenery kinda sucks by me. Oh well.....one day......someday.

rigmarole
#10 Old 06-22-2003, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I do 3 - 5 miles of fast walking/run-jogging most days a week. Is that hamstering? I also lift weights almost daily and stretch daily.

Yep! That is Hamstering!
#11 Old 06-22-2003, 11:43 PM
Sky
Veggie Regular

Welcome rigmarole! That's hamstering alright! When the hamsters started it began as a few people who wanted to support eachother in walking/running on treadmills - that's where the hamster name came from. It soon became a way we all could support eachother in any type of exercise or workout.

Today I rode my bike 7 miles and walked 3.

Smaurer, what a great ride! No way could I have gone 34 in this KS wind today! Sounds like you had a neat place to ride. You can see so much while you're riding - way more than when you're in a car. And yes, I'm starving when I get back from a long ride.
#12 Old 06-23-2003, 04:12 AM

hmmmm...catch up post!

friday- 42 miles on bike

sat- nought! not sure if leaping around like a lunatic at a concert counts

sun- 3.5miles bike to church and back. 2hours wall climbing. ow, my arms hurt
#13 Old 06-23-2003, 09:22 AM

cool
#14 Old 06-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Way to go on the biking!

5 mile run this morning.
#15 Old 06-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey, Hamsters!

Not much "formal" Hamstering for me this weekend, but I did spend a lot of time cleaning the house, running errands (on foot ), and the like. I really can't wait to jump back in the pool, though, or hop back on my bike. With my sinus infection cleared up, I'm ready to take on the world again! I'll keep you updated.

Have a great Monday!
#16 Old 06-23-2003, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry I haven't been here. Welcome to the Hamsters, Rigmarole!

I've mostly done walking lately (1 & 2 hour brisk walks) and dance rehearsals because right before shows I always feel like if I do a run I'm bound to twist my ankle or something and not be able to perform.

It's driving me nuts, though, so once I finish this post I'm off to the track to do 4 miles, and then some yoga and weights. I figure if I run on the track there's less of a chance of injury. (If I'm wrong, please don't tell me -- I really have missed running the past few days!). I'm dancing tonight, too. I should be super-healthy come 8pm or so.

Slynny -- the camping sounds fun! Kitzy -- 42 miles?!!? Amazing! CaptainSwab, Smaurer, Sky, Flower, MissAdventure.. great Hamstering!! Hopi, glad you're feeling better.
#17 Old 06-23-2003, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Hrm... I haven't posted in a while, mostly due to the fact that I've been doing hmm.. nothing lately. Exept some walking every day, random work in the garden and such. Light stuff. Ah well...I'm not much of an excersiser , am I.... Anyway, about 2x25 min bike-ride yesterday, today niente....
#18 Old 06-23-2003, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I put in my usual 1.5 hours on the treadmill. I'm feeling pretty sluggish, today, so this workout was an uphill battle.
#19 Old 06-23-2003, 03:57 PM

hi hampsters!

well this past weekend I had a bit of a cold, so no exercising at all. I've been pretty slack about exercise for several weeks, now, so this week is my goal to really get back into it. hopefully I'll be posting more soon....

after I exercise I feel really weak and hungry and will devour anything in site! but I also drink a lot of water and that sorta fills my stomach up.

keep up the hampstering!
#20 Old 06-23-2003, 05:43 PM

rode 22 miles today
#21 Old 06-23-2003, 05:49 PM

Hi rigmarole! Glad to have you hampsterin'!

Slynny, I'll have to keep that park in mind for a weekend getaway. Being out in the stix sounds good.

Today for me-

Full body strength training

1/2 hour walk

10 minutes stretching

Happy hamstering, everyone! Keep up the great work!!
#22 Old 06-23-2003, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Today I did a 3 mile run, and some upper body weights. Keep up the good work, everyone!!
#23 Old 06-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Sky
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone!

Great rainbowmoon! You out ran me!

I ran 2 miles, walked 1.5 miles.

Welcome entresol!

If you're like me and you get headaches when you run, here's something to try that helped me. My head was starting to pound and so I changed my breathing pattern from 2-count inhale/3-count exhale to 3-count inhale/2-count exhale which is more normal anyway. It started helping right away. I really didn't expect it to make a difference, but I feeling like I needed more oxygen. I've read that it's good to have the total count be an odd number because when you exhale you'll hit the ground harder with that first exhale so if you have a odd number count like mine totals 5, then you won't be putting that extra stress on the same foot every time.

I want to ride, but it's so windy today. Maybe this evening.

Keep on hamstering!
#24 Old 06-23-2003, 06:26 PM
Sky
Veggie Regular

Hey Kitzy, do you wear a helmet when you bike? I've had so many close call with cars, children and squirrels. It's a big relief to finally have a helmet. Now I need to find some good biking shorts, but I don't look good in those skin tight kind.
#25 Old 06-23-2003, 06:33 PM

i dont wear a helmet, but my boyfriend thinks i should. i do have a few close calls....i guess i should wear a helmet *pulls a face*

kamikazee spoke squirrels! dangerous creatures

i dont wear lycra shorts (though i have some somewhere ) i just normal ones.

one of my friends is trying to get me to do time trials but i'm not so sure....
#26 Old 06-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I finally got off my butt this morning and exercised for the 1st time in weeks. I pulled out my Tae Bo tapes and it felt really good to work off some serious frustration. I feel much better now.
#27 Old 06-23-2003, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mskedi

I figure if I run on the track there's less of a chance of injury. (If I'm wrong, please don't tell me -- I really have missed running the past few days!).

I'm not gonna tell you you're wrong. On the contrary you're probably right. The new materials they make tracks with today are more shock absorbant than concrete or tar. So that means it's much easier on your joints. Good stuff science, heh?

rigmarole
#28 Old 06-23-2003, 07:07 PM

I'm very envious of you bike riders. I need some money for a bike. Anyone wanna pay me for nothing?

Maybe I'm a freak or something but after exercising my stomach sometimes cringes at the thought of food. So I have to force down a protein shake and some carbs. ugh

When I woke up today I ran for about a mile and a half and very quickly walked another 2.5 mi. I try to keep my heart rate above 160 for 40 minutes with a short warmup and a long 20+ minute cool down. Now it's almost 7pm and I just did a killer legs and biceps workout. I'm drained and need food.

Exercise, eat well, live long and prosper

rigmarole
#29 Old 06-23-2003, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sky

Hi everyone!

I've read that it's good to have the total count be an odd number because when you exhale you'll hit the ground harder with that first exhale so if you have a odd number count like mine totals 5, then you won't be putting that extra stress on the same foot every time.

hmm...I've never thought about it like that before. Thanks for putting that out there. I think I may have an odd breathing count, but I usually try to focus on something environmental outside of what I'm doing. I'm going to check it out when I run tomorrow.

later

rigmarole
#30 Old 06-23-2003, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, Sky! I've been reading the boards for a while, now, and I figured it was time to stop being chicken and start participating.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page