Congested Ear - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-19-2003, 01:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I have an ear that's been stuffed for about 2 months and won't stop. It's starting to get frustrating becasue it's hard to hear out of it becuase it's so stuffed. Any ideas on how to un-stuff it. I've tried decongestents and they haven't worked. I also heard something about a wax cone that you put into your ear and light it with fire and it sucks the wax out. Anybody heard of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-19-2003, 01:53 AM

If you go to a doctor, they can clean it out for you in a matter of a minute.

They can also check to make sure there isn't an underlying infection causing excess wax build-up.
#3 Old 06-19-2003, 11:31 AM
Banned

Stuffed ears are often stuffed on the inside of the ear drum. No amount of wax removal medicines, or medical visits to have wax cleaned out with a warter jet, is going to help that. Wax in the outer ear is just not a big deal. It doesn't even usually cause a stuffed up feeling.

Most likely you have a chronic middle ear infection. this is often related to a stuffed up eustacion -- it doesn't allow drainage and pressure equalization.

Oral antihistimines and decongestant my help but usually only slightly, and temporarily, if at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-19-2003, 11:33 AM
Banned

You should not take antibiotics for this until after a determination is made as to the kind of bacteria, if any, causing the infection. It is not an emergency where you need to rush into antibiotics before finding out which ones are the best choice.
#5 Old 06-19-2003, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by sunshinemelissa

I also heard something about a wax cone that you put into your ear and light it with fire and it sucks the wax out. Anybody heard of this?

It's called ear candling. I bought some ear candles (from a health food store) about a month ago but haven't gotten around to trying them yet. My chiropractor recommended them.
#6 Old 06-19-2003, 12:17 PM

If you eat dairy then that could be the problem.
#7 Old 06-19-2003, 12:18 PM

Try putting some garlic and mullein oil in your ear (with a piece of cotton) for a few days, especially at night.
#8 Old 06-19-2003, 12:55 PM

Also, if you'd rather go the regular route, try some guafinisen.
#9 Old 06-19-2003, 01:07 PM

When my ears get stuffed up from allergies, only one of those nasal-spray decongestants helps, not the pill kind.

But soilman is right, it could be an ear infection, and you don't want to play around with that.
#10 Old 06-19-2003, 04:37 PM
Banned

You're not a swimmer are you? You could have "swimmers ear" which is essentially, the same middle ear infection I describe above -- and you caught the pathogen from the water you went swimming in, after swimming in it without using ear plugs. Yes, use swimmer's ear plugs, esp if you are going to be in the water for a long time.

You could probably get it from a bathtub in a hotel too.

You can also get it for no apparent reason -- could spread to ear from nose or sinuses.
#11 Old 06-19-2003, 04:38 PM
Banned

Could be secondary to a tooth infection of an upper molar, too, even a sub clinical (not yet readily noticable on x-rays, or with swelling around the tooth) tooth infection.
#12 Old 06-19-2003, 05:04 PM

Urine- pig urine, your mom's urine, your own urine. I have heard this is the natural remedy because urine has tons of good bacteria (needed to keep the urinary tract clean)- Good heavens, don't take my word on, though ;0)

I've heard this quite a bit, too. Even from folks who use this method quite religiously and swear by it.

Urine is also supposed to be great for jellyfish stings.
#13 Old 06-19-2003, 05:11 PM

If this is an infection, and it's been going on for two months, you can do serious damage to your inner ear and you may even impair your hearing.
#14 Old 06-22-2003, 01:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

You're not a swimmer are you? You could have "swimmers ear" which is essentially, the same middle ear infection I describe above -- and you caught the pathogen from the water you went swimming in, after swimming in it without using ear plugs. Yes, use swimmer's ear plugs, esp if you are going to be in the water for a long time.

You could probably get it from a bathtub in a hotel too.

You can also get it for no apparent reason -- could spread to ear from nose or sinuses.

I do swim alot, but I use earplugs,
#15 Old 06-22-2003, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by quality1

If you eat dairy then that could be the problem.

I don't eatr dairy now, but did when the problem started. How could that affect it?
#16 Old 06-22-2003, 01:22 AM

Ignore anything posted by quality1. The "quality" is lacking, shall we say.

Have you had your ear looked at by a doctor? If you have an infection, you could do permanent damage by waiting.
#17 Old 06-22-2003, 01:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm gonna see my doctor on Monday and let you guys know what happened. I suppose I should have talked to her last week when I went in about the dogbite and saved money by killing 2 birds with one stone. I didn't think of it. (forgive that, I don't really want to kill any birds. Now that I think about it, that is a horrible saying.) My doctor is probably sick of me.
#18 Old 06-22-2003, 06:32 PM

melissa,

I'm expecting an update!

I hope it isn't anything serious and nothing that a good head shaking won't cure!

btw, I like to say "kill two boobs with one stone"
#19 Old 06-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I've gotta say that from now on, that's great!
#20 Old 06-23-2003, 09:02 AM
Banned

sunshinemelissa, earplugs aren't perfect. They reduce the risk of swimmers ear, but I would think you are still at higher risk than someone who doesn't swim.
#21 Old 06-23-2003, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

i'd say earplugs could be bad if used a lot couldn't they? i imagine they probably push wax deeper into the ear.

in any case my brother had the same thing for a couple weeks, one ear was plugged and bothering him, eventually he went to the pharmacy and bought one of those syringes for irrigation, usually used for babies and young kids

but the dr. can just use the handy dandy squirty thing with the same effect if not better. i saw it done once, it's pretty cool. water goes in, wax comes out. magic.

my ears are plugged right now actually cause i'm sick *cough cough*

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#22 Old 06-23-2003, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I just got back from the doctor and Soilman was right. I have wax buildup behind the eardrum which could have turned into an infection. It started because of my allergies, then didn't go away. She gave me 2 different medicines. A nasal spray and an oral antihistamine. What's funny is that I did get to kill two "boobs" with one stone because on Sunday I got pink eye and got medicine for that. I'm just a medical basketcase!!!!
#23 Old 06-23-2003, 02:30 PM

LOL

I'm glad infection had not set in.
#24 Old 06-23-2003, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks
#25 Old 06-24-2003, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by sunshinemelissa

I'm just a medical basketcase!!!!

Hahahaha!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page