Breatharians? (WARNING possible ED trigger) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 09-24-2005, 11:08 AM
Beginner
 
missfruity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 105
http://www.breatharian.com/



That's the funniest website I've ever seen. *eats *
missfruity is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 09-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Beginner
 
jonesing4wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 111
I suppose if you have never heard of eating air and light, then it may be humorous. Read a little about "Therese Neumann" or some other saints who eat nothing or so incredibly little that it is practically nothing. If you are of a spiritual bend of mind at all, it really is not that far-fetched. In the USA we are all trained to drink milk for strong bones, but most veg*n people know that is not necessary. Could it not be that there are other "undiscovered" pieces of information that are not in the collective consciousness yet? Read a little and have an open mind, it wont hurt!



Sean
jonesing4wind is offline  
#3 Old 09-24-2005, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular
 
bluewisdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 824
Interesting.



I really don't understand how that could be healthy for the human body, but to each his/her own.



I think it could be very triggering to someone with an eating disorder though, so you might want to write a disclaimer on this post...because it nearly was a trigger to me.
bluewisdom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 09-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Beginner
 
jonesing4wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 111
There I go, opening my stupid mouth again..... I am sorry! I really didnt mean for anybody to stop eating, I know I certainly wont! But to dismiss something because the masses dont buy it seems a little like being a lemming, going with the flow. Again, I am sorry if I offended anybody, and please dont stop eating! From the very little I have read, it takes maybe decades of body and mind training, plus a spiritual mindset. It is not something to just wake up and try one day. I really should be more sensitive!! Geez, I will have to stop eating if I cant get my foot out of my mouth!!



Peace!!!!



Sean
jonesing4wind is offline  
#5 Old 09-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular
 
bluewisdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesing4wind View Post

There I go, opening my stupid mouth again..... I am sorry! I really didnt mean for anybody to stop eating, I know I certainly wont! But to dismiss something because the masses dont buy it seems a little like being a lemming, going with the flow. Again, I am sorry if I offended anybody, and please dont stop eating! From the very little I have read, it takes maybe decades of body and mind training, plus a spiritual mindset. It is not something to just wake up and try one day. I really should be more sensitive!! Geez, I will have to stop eating if I cant get my foot out of my mouth!!



Peace!!!!



Sean



No need to be sorry! I was just pointing out that it could be very triggering to someone attempting to recover from an eating disorder, someone currently suffering from one, or someone who has suffered in the past, to hear that people are "thriving" solely (or at least mainly) on air and sunlight.
bluewisdom is offline  
#6 Old 09-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Beginner
 
jonesing4wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 111
Geez!! I cant stop thinking about this. I am an insensitive jerk. Many apologies to the forum.



sean (keep back, I contracted chronic foot-in-mouth syndrome)
jonesing4wind is offline  
#7 Old 09-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Beginner
 
jonesing4wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewisdom View Post

I was just pointing out that it could be very triggering to someone attempting to recover



Point taken. I have only been a member here for a couple months, so may have been ignorant of some peoples sensitivity to such topics.



Part of my chosen spiritual path is a reduction of ego in all of its varied forms. Really, you have done me a favor by pointing this out.



I sincerely Thank You!



seany
jonesing4wind is offline  
#8 Old 09-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Banned
 
remilard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,772
luvvin' light, may I have some vegan light constructed booty?
remilard is offline  
#9 Old 09-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular
 
DoshKel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,054
Suck in enough air and you could catch a couple bugs in your mouth.



Good source of protein.
DoshKel is offline  
#10 Old 09-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Banned
 
bstutzma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoshKel View Post

Suck in enough air and you could catch a couple bugs in your mouth.



Good source of protein.



hehe :-)
bstutzma is offline  
#11 Old 09-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Beginner
 
missfruity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 105
I didn't mean to offend anyone, it's just that I thought it was funny! And google Jasmuheen. She is a hypocrit! 60 minutes wanted to do a report on her, so they put her in an apartment with no food or water. A few days later she was severly de-hydrated, and she blamed the producer by putting her in a smoggy area. So they put her in a clean mountain cottage, and a few days later, she was dehydrated again! And then she blammed the producer again for putting her in the smoggy area in the first place! So they discontinued the project. Also she had an interview on a plane, and then the flight attendent wanted to confirm her "vegetarian meal". LOL
missfruity is offline  
#12 Old 09-25-2005, 11:23 PM
Vrindavan is offline  
#13 Old 09-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Dirty Martini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 8,777
okay, suppose this were even possible.



WHY?!!! why, god, why?! food is soooooooooooooooooooooo yummy. it's a pleasurable thing.



*imagines a day without food or high-quality beer*



*runs and cries*
Dirty Martini is offline  
#14 Old 09-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Beginner
 
missfruity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 105

Those are very interesting articles. Are you a breatharian? Interesting. On the bbc news article it seems real, but does anyone remember Dr. Allen? BBC did a report on her studying veganism, but all she did was feed canned beans and corn to already malnourished kids in kenya! (and I think we all know that beans and corn isn't a vegan diet.) But it would be awesome to just be able to live on light and air. Though I'm not really sure about this "prana" substance. *does research* By the way, Jasmuheen also declined taking a blood test to see if she had mutated her dna, so she probably is a fraud. But I am open to new ideas.
missfruity is offline  
#15 Old 09-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Newbie
 
Vrindavan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 61
No i am not



but i strongly believe it is possible for many Yogis.



for ordinary people, it can be a fraud
Vrindavan is offline  
#16 Old 09-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Ludi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

okay, suppose this were even possible.



WHY?!!! why, god, why?! food is soooooooooooooooooooooo yummy. it's a pleasurable thing.



*imagines a day without food or high-quality beer*



*runs and cries*





Breatharianism doesn't fit within my Hedonist Sloth philosophy. But others are welcome to pursue it.



I think it's silly. Like staring at the sun.



Ludi is offline  
#17 Old 09-26-2005, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Dirty Martini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

Breatharianism doesn't fit within my Hedonist Sloth philosophy.



I am so stealing that.
Dirty Martini is offline  
#18 Old 09-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Beginner
 
jonesing4wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 111
I certainly wont be trying it in this lifetime! I wanted only to open minds a little to the fact that there is much more going on around us and in us than most can even imagine. Sometimes miracles happen only to arouse an interest in what lies beyond here and now. IMHO of course!



seany
jonesing4wind is offline  
#19 Old 09-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular
 
das_nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,130
I'm rather skeptical.



When I have a reliable report about a breatharian surviving without food or water for an extended period of time (say a month or two), I'll change my tune. But I don't think its likely. I do believe its possible for many people to ignore hunger pangs for an extended period of time, and I bet that there are a few people who can survive without water longer than most people can, but that doesn't make them breatharians.



Wikipedia has more information, as always.



Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post


*imagines a day without food or high-quality beer*



Ah, I see you have been in the US. I have to crawl through hoops to find a beer that I like.
das_nut is offline  
#20 Old 09-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular
 
eggplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

I'm rather skeptical.



When I have a reliable report about a breatharian surviving without food or water for an extended period of time (say a month or two), I'll change my tune. But I don't think its likely. I do believe its possible for many people to ignore hunger pangs for an extended period of time, and I bet that there are a few people who can survive without water longer than most people can, but that doesn't make them breatharians.



I concur. I'm pretty open-minded, but not so open-minded that my brains fall out.
eggplant is offline  
#21 Old 09-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Newbie
 
hsg1437's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7
food causes aging.



there have been people who have reversed their biological age.



age is a reflection of how dirty your system is.
hsg1437 is offline  
#22 Old 09-27-2005, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular
 
eggplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsg1437 View Post

food causes aging.



there have been people who have reversed their biological age.



age is a reflection of how dirty your system is.



I'd say starvation causes aging (and death) a little more quickly than food...
eggplant is offline  
#23 Old 09-27-2005, 03:21 PM
Banned
 
catgirl67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,754
Good Lord! The Luvvin Light is back? There was already a thread on this crap before, but it was deleted because it triggered people with eating disorders. If you want to extol the virtues of anorexia, take it to another message board. If this gets out of hand, can a mod please close this thread?
catgirl67 is offline  
#24 Old 09-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Beginner
 
missfruity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 105
*puts on disclamer*



DISCLAMER:



Though the subject of breatharianism is an interesting subject, we highly suggest putting more thought into it, if you are thinking about becoming a breatharian. Diet is a personal choice, and people are allowed to make their own opinions based on all current information.
missfruity is offline  
#25 Old 09-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular
 
anthony11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,203
I am rather skeptical that the human alimentary canal is up to performing the nuclear fusion and fission required to convert the atoms found in air to those found in us.
anthony11 is offline  
#26 Old 10-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular
 
DeflatorMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 592
I haven't been able to stop thinking about this for 3 days. Sure the breatharian website is hilariously hokey, and the whole idea reeks of fraud (what a STUPID word: "breatharian"!) But that BBC article made me stop and rethink everything.



Ok, do we all agree that fasting (properly) is good for the health? Then isn't it possible that fasting for mondo long periods of time is not only possible but (jussssst maybe) beneficial?



Already BBC proved that the guy went for 10 days. Last year David Blaine went for 50 or something like that. My dad met a yogi who went for 2 months. Not to mention snakes who can go for a year, as well as the plant kingdom's "epiphytes" who manage to thrive exclusively on the nutrients in the air. Wow, if there's even the slightest possibility that a human can do it, I want to know.



I hope this thread doesn't get closed, because imo it has nothing to do with eating disorders. Unless of course, all of us here are suffering from an eating disorder by deviating from the norm.
DeflatorMouse is offline  
#27 Old 10-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular
 
eggplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatorMouse View Post

Ok, do we all agree that fasting (properly) is good for the health?



No, we don't. Many, many health care practioners don't think fasting is beneficial at all, and some think it's harmful. I used to fast occasionally, and although I liked it, I have no evidence that it was actually good for my health.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatorMouse View Post

Then isn't it possible that fasting for mondo long periods of time is not only possible but (jussssst maybe) beneficial?



It may be possible, but I've never seen any credible evidence that it's beneficial for one's physical health. Yogis fast for spiritual reasons and David Blaine did it for publicity. Doesn't mean it's good for your health. And these are still finite fasts, not people who claim to be able to live forever on just air.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatorMouse View Post

Not to mention snakes who can go for a year, as well as the plant kingdom's "epiphytes" who manage to thrive exclusively on the nutrients in the air. Wow, if there's even the slightest possibility that a human can do it, I want to know.



People are neither snakes nor plants and have very different systems. Koala bears only eat eucalyptis leaves their whole lives, but that doesn't mean people or any other species can survive that way, and our bodies are closer to koalas than to snakes and plants.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatorMouse View Post

I hope this thread doesn't get closed, because imo it has nothing to do with eating disorders. Unless of course, all of us here are suffering from an eating disorder by deviating from the norm.



There are a lot of people who visit these boards who struggle with disordered eating, so even though it doesn't directly relate to eating disorders, it is a legitimate concern that an idea like "breatharianism" could prove seductive for them.
eggplant is offline  
#28 Old 10-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular
 
das_nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

I'd say starvation causes aging (and death) a little more quickly than food...



There was a study awhile back that suggested that a low calorie diet extended lifespans, at least in mice. Its called dietary calorie restriction.



So look at yourself. If you are covered in hair, have a tail, scurry around on all fours, squeak, and have a fear of cats, science has indicated that you can extend your life by cutting back calories by 30%.



If you tend to be mostly bare skinned, are bipedal, use tools, and post to veggieboards, odds are that you are probably a human (although there is a small possibility that you are a troll -- check to see if you are living under a bridge or are prone to grunting). Humans tend to live roughly threescore and ten years, which is a lot longer than mice. Its not unlikely that human aging has more factors than mice.
das_nut is offline  
#29 Old 10-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Banned
 
catgirl67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

There was a study awhile back that suggested that a low calorie diet extended lifespans, at least in mice. Its called dietary calorie restriction.



So look at yourself. If you are covered in hair, have a tail, scurry around on all fours, squeak, and have a fear of cats, science has indicated that you can extend your life by cutting back calories by 30%.



If you tend to be mostly bare skinned, are bipedal, use tools, and post to veggieboards, odds are that you are probably a human (although there is a small possibility that you are a troll -- check to see if you are living under a bridge or are prone to grunting). Humans tend to live roughly threescore and ten years, which is a lot longer than mice. Its not unlikely that human aging has more factors than mice.

LMFAO!
catgirl67 is offline  
#30 Old 10-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Newbie
 
ADizzyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatorMouse View Post

as well as the plant kingdom's "epiphytes" who manage to thrive exclusively on the nutrients in the air.



Just as an FYI, epiphytes don't actually live on "nutrients in the air". They obtain nutrients from the detritus and water runoff from the trees/other plants they grow on.
ADizzyGirl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off