Flu season is coming........ - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Beginner

Will you take the shot?

I just kinda wanted to get an idea of how many people would be getting the shot or mist, and how many will be relying on there own defences. Break out the Vitamin C!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I won't be, this year.
#3 Old 09-01-2005, 10:13 PM

No shot for me. My immune system is in fine working order. If I happen to catch the flu, I'll just lay down and blow my nose for a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-01-2005, 10:34 PM

I got it last year but think I will pass this year. I don't feel right about it and I think my tinctures will do the trick for me. If not, then I will deal.
#5 Old 09-02-2005, 06:49 AM
Beginner

I won't. I hardly ever get sick, and I hate taking medicine unless I have to.
#6 Old 09-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't take it last year and was sick most of the winter/early spring. However I really hate shots so I don't know if I'll take it this year or not.
#7 Old 09-02-2005, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I will be taking the shot. My respiratory problems put me in the "at risk" category, unfortunately.
#8 Old 09-02-2005, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

No shot for me. There are no factors increasing my flu risk.
#9 Old 09-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never taken the shot, and I don't intend to start now. The same will go for my wife and kid.
#10 Old 09-02-2005, 09:45 AM

I didn't have the shot last year because of the shortage. I'm not in a high-risk group.

However, I will take it this year if the supplies are good. I've never had the flu, and I don't really want to get it if I can avoid it. Besides, my employer pays for it. They don't want any of us out between Feb 1 and April 15th, if they can possible avoid it (accounting firm ).
#11 Old 09-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I absolutely will be getting a flu shot.

I'm back in grad school, and my fieldwork is at an elementary school. I absolutely cannot miss a week of classes/field for the flu.

I always get the flu, which isn't that bad, except that I end up, without fail, with COMPLICATIONS from the flu, such as bronchitis or pneumonia. I also get asthmatic when I get respiratory infections. I don't see any reason not to get it.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#12 Old 09-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm seriously thinking about it this year. I'm getting a new job and am really, really worried about missing help. I don't want to loose a job over getting sick. I guess this is greedy of me. I haven't gotten it yet, and I may need some advice. I totally don't agree with how they are made, so I'm conflicted.
#13 Old 09-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I've gotten the shot every year, and I really don't have the choice since I'm under 18 and all. I live with a family member who has severe asthma on weekends, and I really don't want to make him sick, because he is really bad when he gets sick health wise and mentally. (He had food poisoning earlier this summer and was complaining about it well over two weeks later, so it also helps me mentally to hear less complaining). I just don't want to get it and pass it on to anyone else. And besides, I kind of like needles, oddly... Shots really don't bother me anymore.
#14 Old 09-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope. I no longer work at a hospital. When I did I got sick every year. I never got the shot out of laziness. They gave it away to all hospital employees.
#15 Old 09-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Baby Love

No shot for me. I've only had it once and I didn't notice any difference.
#16 Old 09-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Beginner

No shot for me.
#17 Old 09-05-2005, 11:57 AM

Never gotten flu shots and don't plan to. I've never even had the flu, even though my mom, brother and father have gotten it in past.

Influenza is creepy though, isn't it? My grandfather's oldest sibling, a sister, and his youngest sibling, a brother, died in two different influenza epidemics around the 1920's
#18 Old 09-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

No shot here. I've only had one ever, and that was several years ago. All it did was give me the flu for 24 hours.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding (based on something I read) that each year, the shots that are administered are based on the prominent strain of flu from the year before. Since there are so many strains, receiving an injection is no guarantee that an individual won't end up with the flu at some point.
#19 Old 09-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post

No shot here. I've only had one ever, and that was several years ago. All it did was give me the flu for 24 hours.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding (based on something I read) that each year, the shots that are administered are based on the prominent strain of flu from the year before. Since there are so many strains, receiving an injection is no guarantee that an individual won't end up with the flu at some point.

They are rendered according to what they believe the strain will be and not to mention that it keeps your own immune system suppressed from doing it's own job and alot of people end up getting it anyway. I think the ingredients speak for themselves though.
#20 Old 09-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allesfresser View Post

Influenza is creepy though, isn't it? My grandfather's oldest sibling, a sister, and his youngest sibling, a brother, died in two different influenza epidemics around the 1920's

Yes. I also had several family members die in the New York influenza epidemic ... probably around the 1920s. Its wierd to me that its the same sort of thing. The worst I ever get the flu involves aches and lying in bed for a day or two.
#21 Old 09-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't had the flu for years, and I've never had a flu shot. I'm more worried about colds and other upper respiratory infections. I only had one this past school year, and it was in March.
#22 Old 09-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Beginner

No way am I getting it.
#23 Old 09-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Beginner

The last time I was sick was when I was omni, no joke. That was a long time ago too.
#24 Old 09-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

nope.

and if anyone's concerned, flu shots are not vegan (they're grown in eggs).
#25 Old 09-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't decided if I'm getting it or not. My employer will pay for it, and I don't want to get sick this year (missing a week of--or even one--Comparative Anatomy of Vertebrates labs would be a HUGE problem)...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page