Is it just migraine? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Today, when i was making my tea, i turned around and suddenly i couldn't see properly. I thought maybe i'd just been staring at a light or something, although i couldn't remember doing it, but my vision remained the way it was for about 15 minutes, not sure exactly. It was sort of blurry to the edges, and there was blur above and below in patches, which when i tried to look at directly, moved, so it surrounded what i was looking at directly. The blur was sort of patchy, like when they hide someones face on tv. I've been getting headaches daily cos i've been studying lots. So, is this nothing to worry about? It's only happened once before this, a few months back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Ohhhh, sounds like low blood sugar. I have hypoglycemia, and what you experienced sounds very much like a LBS episode. I get that every time I stand up fast, but it doesn't last very long. What have you been eating?? It may be migraines too, but when I have LBS episodes, I get headaches too. You should post what you ate yesterday and today though. That would help.
#3 Old 08-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for your reply mommyof1

Erm... lets think..

Yesterday:

Fruit n fibre cereal with soya milk (i never drink the soya milk though)

5 dried prunes

ww pita with a bit of chickpea curry and baked beens mixed, lettuce and 2 veggie sausages

peach

Today:

Kashi cereal and soya milk (i added some sugar to that, but it seemed to stay in the milk, which i didn't drink)

about 10 blackberries

Just before the blur i ate a fig roll (like a biscuit type thing), then i ate another 2 during the blur, then i had a mushroom burger with onions/ketchup, and parsnip chips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, and i've hardly ate anything with sugar since Sunday, and i always use sweeteners in my hot drinks.
#5 Old 08-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

hmmm.... I looks like you don't eat a whole lot. To keep my blood sugar in check I have to eat 5-6 small meals a day. Also, sometimes your body will get confused and treat artificial sweeteners as sugar, but it depends on your body. It's always good to eat sweets along with protien-- sweets to boost your blood sugar, protien to keep it up. Are you taking any supplements? I also have to take iron, as I am anemic (I guess I'm messed up, huh?) and I notice if I don't take it I get feeling dizzy and weak. It may just be a lack of certain nutrients. That would be a lot better than hypoglycemia or anemia. Oh, and also, has your sleep been normal?
#6 Old 08-12-2005, 05:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof1 View Post

hmmm.... I looks like you don't eat a whole lot. To keep my blood sugar in check I have to eat 5-6 small meals a day. Also, sometimes your body will get confused and treat artificial sweeteners as sugar, but it depends on your body. It's always good to eat sweets along with protien-- sweets to boost your blood sugar, protien to keep it up. Are you taking any supplements? I also have to take iron, as I am anemic (I guess I'm messed up, huh?) and I notice if I don't take it I get feeling dizzy and weak. It may just be a lack of certain nutrients. That would be a lot better than hypoglycemia or anemia. Oh, and also, has your sleep been normal?

I'm not eating a lot at the moment, but it's deliberate. I'm studying for exams right now and i usually comfort eat to help me with the stress, and end up putting weight on. so i'm deliberately watching what i eat. I've tried eating small meals a day, but it doesn't work for me, i need the feeling of being full up after a meal. I'm taking supplements, but have just started to take them regularly since Sunday. I'm definitely not anaemic, cos i got a blood test result back last week that said everything was fine. Strange you should ask about my sleeping, it's been quite irregular lately. I've had trouble getting to sleep, with a lot of tossing and turning through the night, which makes me really tired through the day. I've been going to sleep at around 4 or 5am, and getting up late, around 2pm, and feeling like i could sleep for longer!
#7 Old 08-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I'd try to get on a regular sleep schedule. It sounds like maybe you're exausted. Definately keep taking your supplements and eat some really good food. If it happens again, I would make an appointment to see the Dr.
#8 Old 08-13-2005, 01:47 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Sounds like an optical migraine. If you get them again, go and speak to a doctor though just to rule out anything else.

Avoid aspartame like the pest.
#9 Old 08-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, thank you both for your help!
#10 Old 08-13-2005, 08:45 PM

I used to get migraines almost weekly and would get this every once in a while. It always occurred right before a migraine came. Definitely get your eyes checked out to make sure there's nothing wrong with them to be safe, though.

I've been migraine free a little over 4 months now after taking a natural remedy called MygraFew. It's very cheap and can be found at Amazon.com, if you're interested. I highly recommend it for frequent headache & migraine sufferers.
#11 Old 08-19-2005, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah it sounds like an optical migraine but you really should try eating a little more.

for me not eating enough is a trigger for my headaches. also my vision goes blurry like that and i get lightheaded if my B12 is low or my bloodsugar is low

try cutting up some fruits and veggies in the morning and keeping them by your books all day so while you study you have something to munch on to keep you going but it's all healthy stuff like carrot sticks, chunks of apple, berries etc.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#12 Old 08-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

That sounds like a good idea LadyFaile, but thankfully my last exam is Monday!
#13 Old 08-23-2005, 04:18 PM

If it's an optical migraine, the headache (usually) comes on really strong 15-45 minutes after the visual auras begin. With my migraines, I usually have about 20 min after the blurred vision stops before the headache starts--and then it's pretty clearly not a normal headache. Other typical migraine symptoms include if the headache is occuring in only one part of the head (for most people right or left, although mine tend to be very frontal) and an unusual sensitivity to light or sound (light makes the headache worse, sound causes nausea)... these are all general symptoms, and they can vary quite widely from one person to the next. So, I guess the answer is... if it happens again, write down the details & ask the doctor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page