Yoga! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-30-2005, 10:11 PM

Hey ya'll.

I've been doing yoga for a couple years, nothing serious... pretty much just random classes here and there and a couple dvd's I have at my house.

I'm interested in learning more about the spiritual side of yoga... I always feel incredible after I'm done and I know there is more to lovely art. I've been feeling a bit lost lately and I'd like something like this to help me find my inner self.

Indulge me with your book recommendations/websites/whatever.

thanks!!

Lauren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-30-2005, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I liked "Idiot's Guide to Yoga", and you can probably find more suggestions for recommended reading, there.

Otherwise, I'm sure someone will post soon with more information. ^-^ You can also search for yoga threads here, as it's talked about a lot.

I really like classes, myself, and have been going to classes off and on (mostly on) for about a year now. It's a little like therapy, for me. I especially like being walked through meditation, I'm lucky in that I've had teachers that are very good at that.
#3 Old 07-31-2005, 08:37 AM

Yea, I'm not too meditation savvy and I can't remember the names of the moves so the occasional classes and dvd's help with that. I still need the guidance.

thanks for the recommendation, i'll check it out : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-31-2005, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Erich Schiffman's book, Moving into Stillness is excellent. I also like BKS Iyengar's "Light On" series (light on yoga being the most accessable).

i don't know what style or school that you practice, but there are a number of books out there that go into the basics of philosophy and what not. I like a lot of Georg Fuerstien's works--he focuses predominently on the history, tradition, and philosophy of yoga. his books do not contain postures, and if they do, it's just a few to be illustrative of the school of yoga called 'hatha yoga' (the yoga of postures and pranayama).
#5 Old 08-05-2005, 11:23 PM

I love BKS Iyengar's book! That's what got me interested in yoga in the first place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page