Let's talk about fat... - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 06-18-2005, 01:03 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

check out the LJ community i made:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/veggies_of_size

it's pretty quiet but i welcome discussion there of all types relating to veg*nism and size acceptance.

I didn't join because I'm not entirely veg* myself (although I've cut way down on the animal products). But I have browsed the community...and nudged people your way from Big Fat Blog and Hank's GabCafé.

-Qit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 06-18-2005, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

LOL, I'd forgotten I'd made this thread. Cool it's still going

B
#63 Old 06-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Beginner

Well, I took a look at Eating in the Raw. It's got some good recipes and some good points. (I really want one of those LaLanne Juicers now...)

But generally, I was not impressed. For example, Alt at first seems to draw a distinction between being "not-thin" (i.e. a kapha) and being "overweight." But then, on the very same page, she turns around and promotes going raw as a weight-loss/weight-control diet. (Then again, considering that "getting slimmer" is in the sub-title, I shouldn't be so surprised at that.)

Additionally, she self-aggrandizes way too much. And she (or her ghostwriter) needs to brush up on punctuation. Badly.

-Qit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 06-24-2005, 10:52 PM

I think this is a very interesting thread; I'm all about the sociology.

I've kind of been concerned lately when i stop and think about it, and I've realized that the one thing i fear more than any othe ris becoming fat. Its the sole motivation sometimes, and the first thing i do in the morning is check myself out in the mirror, i do it several times a day and its the last thing i do before bed.

I lost thirty pounds last year from Christmas season up to the end of school; it was my senior year and I was working two jobs and I just got really fat and then one night i broke down and cried in the bathroom because i absolutely hated what i saw. I hated my body so much and I jsut hadthis overwhelming and intense desire to cut the fat off my body.

From that day on I went down the road of "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" and dysfunctional dieting became my thing. my friends thought i was using cocaine, which i wasn't btw, and I managaed to really bungle up my body. I was anemic on graduation and my best friend described me as the hottest vamipre prom queen she ever saw.

My point is, it isn't burning alive, it sn't drowning, it isn't being brutally murdered or hit by a car. the worst possible thing i can imagine happening to me is gaining weight, because its the most realisitic possibilities. Its the one i can worry about and its the one i feel personally responsible to prevent.

I just don't remember when i went from being a happy artistic well adjusted child to being a stressed self conscious disatisfied and docile woman. I hate it. I hate the fact that on one side of any street you drive down in the city, there is a billboard with a giant juicy burger and on the other is a pretty perfect person advocating boflex or something rediculous.

The western world expects so much of its people, we just can't keep up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page