Sunburn - how to make it stop itching - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Banned

I'm on strike right now, so spending a lot of time outside picketing. I got a sunburn on my back. It isn't bad enough to have peeled or blistered, but it's still red 2 days later and it's ITCHY. I want to roll around in a pile of sandpebbles.

I'm doing Vit E lotion and aloe vera, but it's not helping. Is there anything else I can do?

Note: Yes, I wore sunscreen. I wear SPF 50. Yes, I wear a hat. No, I can't wear a full length shirt and long pants, as it's in the middle of the day, I'm standing on concrete, I'm walking, and it's hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-28-2005, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Spray vinegar on your skin. It's smelly for about an hour, but it works.

I don't know about these others, but maybe one of them will help.

http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_sunb.htm?NF=1
#3 Old 07-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I was going to suggest the Aloe too. Make sure to stay hydrated.

...and that's with 30 sunscreen? Poor little duck, imagine how bad it would have been without! Might want to bump that up to a 50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

I wear SPF 50.

#5 Old 07-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearhsong2 View Post

Spray vinegar on your skin. It's smelly for about an hour, but it works.

The only vinegar I have left in the house has a bit of peppermint oil mixed it. Would that still be safe to use?

(I don't mind smelling like a candy cane!)
#6 Old 07-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

The peppermint would actually be good, it would smell nicer, for one, and help cool down your skin, too.
#7 Old 07-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a suggestion, but it involves an Aveeno product.

It's a powder that you use in the bath, you soak for a while, and it makes the itching go away. http://www.aveeno.com/detailAction.do?id=3689 Skin relief bath treatment. I can't remember what specifically is unvegan about Aveeno (I think the company tests on animals), but it is. I do know this works, however, as I used to use this when I was a kid and got a bad sunburn. The downside is that it sticks to the tub a little, so you have to wash it after.

Pretty sure it's readily available in stores where you are.
#8 Old 07-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Banned

I can't use Aveeno anymore They changed the formula in Canada and now I get a rash.

I used to love their stuff
#9 Old 07-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm on strike right now, so spending a lot of time outside picketing. I got a sunburn on my back. It isn't bad enough to have peeled or blistered, but it's still red 2 days later and it's ITCHY. I want to roll around in a pile of sandpebbles.

I'm doing Vit E lotion and aloe vera, but it's not helping. Is there anything else I can do?

Maybe try an anti-itch creme (as soon as you get off the picket line) with a topical anesthetic, like Gold Bond's.

http://www.epinions.com/content_13411716740

Quote:
Anyone with irritations, cuts, burns, scrapes, sunburn, sumac, poison ivy or oak and insect bites should have a tube of this on hand. It is specifically formulated to help the itch associated with these issues and has no steroids or hydrocortisone.

http://www.epinions.com/content_79458504324

It supposedly has a strong, mediciney smell, though.

Here's a list of anti-itching medications. I'd look for those that had "-caine" in the name or "Medicated" in the name. Your pharmacist should be able to help.

http://my.webmd.com/drugs/condition-...sename=Itching
#10 Old 07-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Banned

Hey! I think I have some -caine in my hiking first aid kit.

*leaves internet to go find it!
#11 Old 07-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Oatmeal bath.

Pulverize the oatmeal in a blender. Pour a generous amount into tepid bathwater until it looks nice and milky. Good for any itchies!
#12 Old 07-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Beginner

I don't know about that vinegar idea. If your skin is itchy and u want to scratch that means that a layer is getting ready to come off. I'd be scared that the vinegar would sting (think getting inegar in a paper cut).

Aloe in creams & gels neer works for me. The only thing that works is pure aloe from the plant. I keep a plant in the house for this reason (although I try realllllly hard not to get burnt and so far this summer I haven't). You can buy an aloe plant from any garden store or maybe even the garden section at Loblaws/Dominion. It's ery easy to take car of. It's a type of cactus, so it needs sun, but very little water (once a week or less).

To use fresh aloe, break off a leaf, crack it open and spread the liquid and the gel all over the burn. Apply at least 2x/day. It's preented me peeling many times.

For future reference... (learned this in my first aid course) flesh continues to burn after the heat is taken away. this is why after returning indoors, the redness doesn't appear until a few hours later. To stop the burning (and preent the redness) you need to cool down the area that is getting burned. Take a cold bath/shower, or grab some ice paks and do 10 mins on, 10 mins off for a while.
#13 Old 07-28-2005, 09:18 PM
Banned

As I said, I am outside for my job. I was red long before I had a chance to take a cold shower.
#14 Old 07-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearhsong2 View Post

The peppermint would actually be good, it would smell nicer, for one, and help cool down your skin, too.

It's working WONDERFUL! I can't find my -caine stuff that Joe mentioned (I know it's here somewhere). I think it was the aloe that was making me itch because it's all stopped now that I sprayed myself, rubbed off lightly, and then spayed again.

And I smell like air freshener
#15 Old 07-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Urgh.. I know how you feel. What works with me is drinking until I feel nothing then I fall asleep.
#16 Old 07-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

Urgh.. I know how you feel. What works with me is drinking until I feel nothing then I fall asleep.

I haven't had a sunburn in over 10 years (the last one was a 2nd degree burn).

I forgot how annoying these are. I wish it would peel. That way, it would just be itchy and I could scratch. This is painful AND itchy as it heals, so i jsut want to rip my skin off
#17 Old 07-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I wear SPF 50.

D'oh! So you do. Can you get SPF a million then?
#18 Old 07-28-2005, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

Oatmeal bath.

Pulverize the oatmeal in a blender. Pour a generous amount into tepid bathwater until it looks nice and milky. Good for any itchies!

When my kids had the chickenpox I came across an oatmeal bath recipe that recommended putting the oatmeal in a nylon stocking. It just sort of bobs around in the bath and you don't get oatmeal stuck to you all over (its also not such a mess to clean up).
#19 Old 07-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Banned

I found my caine.

the itch is back and even worse. I've taken 3 ibuprofens so far to help with the pain.

I want to cry and scream and rip my hair out now.

I just picked up some numbing cortisome, but it only lasts for about 2 minutes.
#20 Old 07-29-2005, 03:12 AM

I wear spf 50 too well actually now I dont wear any I dont go in the sun. VAMPIRECORE.

Anyway I used to get badly burnt.. (when I went in the sun..) and I heard somewhere put sliced tomato on it. So I did. And one time I worked like a charm.. but then another it stung like a *****.
#21 Old 07-29-2005, 07:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I just woke up all itchy across my chest!

I'm in the same boat now, and just splashed apple cider vinegar on my chest. Ahhhhhhhhh, not working.

This is the pain I have to go through to not be white.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#22 Old 07-29-2005, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't add anything to help with your current burn, but maybe to help with the future:

What brand of sunscreen are you using? Unfortunately, not all brands are the same. I can use coppertone 45 and burn in an hour, but if I use Bull Frog I don't have to reapply for 8 hours and I still won't get burnt. So, yes, this is a shameless plug for Bull Frog sunscreen if it's available to you. I think we may have similar skin coloring (I'm just guessing from your avatar), so if you burn as easily as I do, you need the best.

Can you picket with an umbrella? It may look funny, but it's better than sunburns.

Or at the very least, can you lay some towels down below where you're standing? It could ward off some of the reflection from the concrete and make your picketing day a little less hot.

During the grocery strike here, many of the picketers had full on picnic tents set up. It didn't detract at all from us getting their message, and they were less likely to get heat exhaustion and sunburns. A win-win situation as far as I could tell.

Good luck with this.
#23 Old 07-29-2005, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

banana boat sport is also good, for future use.

and the vinegar can also be poured into a bath, diluted with the bath water and then just soak it in before going to bed. that helps a lot!

and the vinegar isn't going to burn--it's not such strong acid.
#24 Old 07-29-2005, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

After a while, I think the vinegar has worked! Thanks!

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#25 Old 07-29-2005, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I have this coconut lotion that works good, I think you already solved your problem so this post is useless. :S

I'm a ghost and I don't go in the sun very much to get a sunburn, lol.
#26 Old 07-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Krista, my 2 cents:

If it's really serious, I think it's time now to visit a dermatologist. Perhaps the doctor can prescribe some kind of skin cream that you can't get OTC. Or at least dispense some medical advice that we here on VB haven't thought of.

*this space not for sale*
#27 Old 07-29-2005, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

i recommend traditional muslim dress from egypt and the like. very good in the heat, honestly. cooler than wearing less clothing.

as to the 'real' question, i use a lot of cooling lotion and sometimes yogurt which seems to help cool the whole process.
#28 Old 07-29-2005, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Amy, it sounds like you got a lot of skin damage. Are you feeling better today? I really hope you're not standing out there again, protests or not.
#29 Old 07-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Put some clothes on.

#30 Old 07-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Anyway, being more serious now. I haven't gotten a burn in a long time since I spend the first two weeks of every summer building a base tan because burning is worse for you than tanning but the last time I had a burn I picked up two things:

Hawaiian Tropic After Sun Gel

Hawaiian Tropic I.C.E After Burn Care

Just got to keep slathering those on it every 5 hours or so for a couple days and it should keep it from peeling and stop the itch.

Next time you're out pick up that stuff and some Hawaiian Tropic SPF 70+ and just realpy it through the day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page