confused!! (how to eat enough calories) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-22-2005, 08:47 AM

I don't understand how I can physically eat all of the calories necessary. a typical day for me is:

( / means "or" )

B:Yoghurt and fruit/ Fruit

L:Some kind of pulse concoction like chickpeas/salad/vege mix/Fish salad or something etc

D:Something similar to lunch, usually light like a salad, sometimes with a few prawns.

portions i would say are average as i have a small appetite and it genuinely keeps me full till the next meal. I have incoporated a small handful of nuts at breakfast for added calories, to see how that goes but please, can someone give me advice?

also other ppl on the i ate today thread dont seem to get the bmr needs either yet claim to be unhappy about their weight/over..

whats up???

p.s i dont eat junk food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

i believe that the "i ate today" thread is related to eating disorders, which is why 1. people aren't getting their necessary caloric intake (BMR and beyond) and 2. they're still unhappy about their weight (body image, control, and other issues).

you can do a search online to learn about and determine your BMR. after that, you simply increase calories.

the reason that you feel as if you don't need more is because your body becomes accustomed to a certain amount of food. if you eat less and less, your body finds ways to compensate for that, and may even shut off your natural feelings of hunger over time. Many people who fast for spiritual reasons find that the change over comes on the third day (this is with perpetual day fasts, with only two meals taken during daylight hours; practiced in the winter months, most commonly). After that, they don't feel hunger, and it takes a few days to get back to a normal eating pattern AFTER the fast is through.

It is likely that because you've been eating this way for so long, your body has adapted. But, it's still likely not a healthy diet. My suggestion is to try to add in three more smaller meals during the day, at least the same sizes as the ones that you eat now. If you're eating 800 calories now, that will increase you to 1600 calories. If you don't exercise or move often, this is likely a good amount for you. If you do, you'll notice that you'll start to loose weight (usually). If you don't want to loose weight, you'll need to increase your calories by 200 or 400 to get what you need, and some people mvoe up to 2200 calories if they are *really* active (training every day, for instance, for more than 1-2 hours a day).

Similarly, i don't know the amounts or calories in what you already consume. I don't know the amount of fat, carbohydrates, or protiens involved and how many calories that would come to. It could be that you're underestimating the amount that you're consuming.

for instance, one small container of yogurt (with fruit) is usually two servings. If you eat the whole container, you're getting double the calorie number on the back. Say it's 120 calories per serving, then you're getting 240 calories. if you're having a medium sized apple, that's roughly 60 calories (if i remember correctly). if your yogurt has fat in it, it will burn more slowly--but that won't necessarily change the calorie count. So, you're breakfast is 300 calories, roughly.

It sounds like lunch is larger than breakfast, and probably is about 500 calories, if you're having fish or other meat, and if you're consuming whole grains. Similarly, if your dinner contains fish or other meat, if you're consuming enough vegetables (with salad dressing of olive oil or something), you could be getting another 500 calories. So, it could be that you consume, on average, about 1300 calories, and only need to increase by 700 calories.

I don't know how you're making your calculation to 800--so perhaps breaking down exactly what you eat (serving size, etc), and then the estimated caloric amounts of these things (eg: 1 med apple or 1/2 large apple is 60 calories--i think anyway), then your totals, it may help us see what we can do to help you find ways to increase your caloric intake.

i don't think anyone is going to advocate eating 'junk food'--it's a good idea to consume more food in general, so that you have between 1500 and 2000 calories a day. the best way to do this is to add two or three more small meals throughout your day.
#3 Old 06-22-2005, 09:24 AM

thanks for the advice.. i calorie conscious so am aware of what i consume to the t.

xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2005, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Uh I thought the "IAT" thread was for "good" examples of a day's worth to eating...and the 'Food Issues' food-log was for not-so-good...

Plus, many people don't post amounts in the 'IAT' thread, so often times when I say, "Breakfast: 1 bagel w/peanut butter..." etc., etc...I've already consumed 500 calories...and people's lunches, snacks, etc. begin to add up.

If you have a smaller appetite, eat more smaller meals more often throughout the day...eat the fruit/yogurt for breakfast...then a couple hours later eat another piece of fruit and some nuts (trail-mix is good b/c it's more calorically dense than 'regular' fruit)...eat lunch...etc.

/shrug

Just my suggestion

Cheers.
#5 Old 06-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Actually, the "I Ate Today" thread is not for ppl with EDs. its for people that eat normally and are ok with their body image, for the most part. I think there are a LOT of great example in there actually, but maybe thats just me. :P

But, since you get full fast, you should probably try to get in more calories through liquids (at least as a start). Try a protein smoothie with lunch, add some extra beans to your dinner and/or add oils/dressings to your salads.

This is just a start. You probably need to eat at least 1 or 2 more meals to your diet. You don't need to have junk food. Just adding an apple with 2 0r 3 tbs. of peanut butter or almond butter would be good. Try it.
#6 Old 06-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

i can't keep track of what all the threads are, though. i can't remember which ones are which and who goes where-what. i just made an assumption based on the feelings provided and then the fact that we have those types of threads on the boards.

so, if you know your caloric intake to a "t" then please post it and we can help you figure it out.

if you're calorie conscous, what are your feelings about calories? you want low calories? more calories?

i just eat when i'm hungry. looking at a food diary, it looks like i get between 1800 and 2200 calories a day. i don't think about calories really, just good healthy food when i'm hungry. I eat 5-6 times a day. I don't eat junk food either.

If you're going to ask for advice, and then get seemingly defensive, why ask for advice?
#7 Old 06-22-2005, 12:28 PM

ok, firstly ppl seem to be getting quite mad at me- im english and perhaps me being friendly is coming across as quite rude- i dont mean to be seriously.

im calorie conscious as i used to want it low, but then i lost an awful lot of weight and now i want to maintain, and stay healthy, and not consume too much. i choose healthy foods throughout the day, but they dont seem to add up, and so, from your suggestions i will try them all out and see how it goes. thankyou for taking the time. i really do appreciate it
#8 Old 06-22-2005, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Isn't it called IAT because the poster is saying "I ate today, thus overcoming my ED for today"? Now I'm confused. There used to be a thread called "What Did you Eat Today?" or something like that for non-ED people.
#9 Old 06-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

No, lol. The "I Ate Today" thread was actually kinda birthed out of sarcasm since the "What did you eat today thread?" turned into a place of people barely eating (i.e. seemingly competing who had the worst ED). So they split the thread into two threads:

1) The "I Ate Today" thread - for the people who actually eat well-balanced meals throughout the day.

and

2) The "Food Issues" thread for people who barely eat, or eat too much or generally have issues with food.
#10 Old 06-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

april:

yeah, and i still don't see the big deal of writing out what you eat in a day and the caloric content of it so that we can be more informed and help you out even more. that's all i was asking for.
#11 Old 06-23-2005, 12:41 AM
Veggie Regular

i don't think anyone was getting mad at you aprille but we can give better advice if we know exactly what your caloric intake is and if you're comfortable posting it, your weight would be helpful as well so we can figure out what your intake should be vs what it is and how to achieve that goal.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#12 Old 06-23-2005, 02:43 AM
Veggie Regular

It's hard for me to consume enough calories too.

The trick for me is to plan my meals. If I know I'm having a 400 calorie dinner, then I make sure my lunch is going to be 700 + calories. That sounds like a lot of calories for lunch, but it's not if you have energy dense items...such as nut butters, olive oil, other condiments/spreads, pasta, sandwiches, bananas, avocados, beans, caloric liquids, granola, nuts, etc.

Here's some suggestions to boost up your current intake without eating junk food:

Breakfast: Yogurt parfait, consisting of: 1 cup yogurt (i'll average this out to about 200 calories - could be more or less), 1/2 cup granola, 1/4 cup nuts, 2 tbsps wheat germ, half a large banana ~ 700 calories

Lunch: Salad, consisting of 1 serving lettuce, 1 cup chickpeas, tomato slices/mushrooms/whatever vegetable you want, 1/4 a large avocado, 1 piece of baked marinated tofu, 1 serving of croutons (or 1 oz of cheese/soy cheese), 1/4 cup light salad dressing (I'll average this as 100 calories)~ 500 calories

Dinner: Same as lunch, but instead of the avocado, use 1/8 cup of pumpkin seeds. ~ 500 calories

Total: 1700 calories (of healthy food). With this plan, you are getting:

*iron/protein (chickpeas, nuts, seeds, tofu)

*calcium (yogurt, cheese, vegetables, fruit)

*healthy fats (avocados, nuts, seeds, chickpeas, granola, salad dressing)

*vegetables

*fruits

*carbs (croutons, nuts/seeds, granola, avocado, banana, salad dressing, chickpeas)

*fiber (wheat germ, nuts, seeds, chickpeas, fruit and vegetables)

#13 Old 06-23-2005, 10:17 AM

thankyou so much blue wisdom.. certainly a few things to try doing there perfect

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page