tummy troubles.. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-04-2003, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm not sure how to start this.. ....

i've always had a very sensitive tummy. always getting sick for no apparent reason, and it usually only lasts a day or two. sometimes longer, but thats only when i'm sick for a reason i can identify.

so i've done all sorts of things.. gone to doctors, who can't seem to find anything they think is the problem, cut things from my diet, water, exercise..

when i first went vegan (two februarys ago) it seemed like it got better. but lately its been getting worse like it used to be again, and i'm getting very frustrated! i can't seem to eat anything without a horrid, bloated stomach ache!

anyone have any stomach tips? with a vegan diet, or otherwise?

thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-04-2003, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

it sounds to me like you have all the symptoms of some kind of food allergy/intolerance. unfortunately most MDs aren't well-versed in this kind of thing. you may want to consult a naturopath and have a few tests to discern what it is in your diet that's causing the trouble.

some likely culprits:

wheat (more likely, the gluten protein in the wheat)

soy

nuts

yeast and fungus foods (like mushrooms)

refined sugar

corn

nightshade veggies (potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers, eggplants)

citrus fruits

you will probably be advised to eliminate all of these foods from your diet for a period of at least two weeks, and then to slowly start introducing them back in, one at a time, monitoring your body's reaction to each, carefully.

sounds like a lot of work, and it is, but worth it if it means you'll feel better.
#3 Old 06-04-2003, 09:14 PM

my husband also has a touchy stomach. i believe he is alergic to presevitives. his stomach wasn't as bad when he was growing up,because he's from Jamaica and they eat mostly whole and fresh foods there. i believe that presevitives made his stomach sensitive to other things such as acidic fruits and such. when we went on vacation he almost died. a hole had eaten through the lining in his stomach and he started bleeding in. it was very scary. but he finally started listening to me a eating a healthy diet mostly free of preservitives and he's fine now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-04-2003, 09:58 PM

I have that problem whenever I eat anything proccessed. Which is why I tend to make everything from scratch.
#5 Old 06-04-2003, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

The last time my stomach was hurting alot (which has been a lifelong ordeal), my chiropractor told me to drink 7 oz. of distilled aloe vera juice once a day for 5 days. He stressed that it should be distilled...I don't know why. Anyway, it seems to help me. I found it at a health food store and keep it in the refrigerator.
#6 Old 06-05-2003, 12:01 AM
Veggie Regular

hydrogenated oils can also cause stomach problems such as bloating.
#7 Old 06-05-2003, 12:53 AM

consider taking a probiotic supplement. this has seriously helped me with bloating and outright abdominal pain after eating. most HFS should have them.

ginger tea helps me out a ton with nausea, and it seems to help a little with bloating/gas. it will also help spark a bit of appetite if i grab a cup before a meal. you could also try ginger supplements or other ways of using ginger, too.

the other thing, like kreeli said, is to eliminate all possible culprits and then add in things one at a time (remember all the one-variable science experiments from way back when?) and see what happens. when i get "flare-ups", i usually go for stuff that's rice-based -- cream of rice cereal, other warm breakfasty rice dishes, even rice pudding (use rice milk when you make em instead of soy, just in case that's one of the culprits.)

one more thing. some of us (like me) react to many things -- stress, change, whatever -- with our gut. try to make mealtime as pleasant as possible. make it relaxing, and enjoy it -- even if you are alone, light a candle, clean up the kitchen/dining room, make things peaceful. don't watch the news, debate serious stuff, etc. by promoting a positive eating atmosphere, a lot of times it helps promote better digestion for me.

good luck.
#8 Old 06-05-2003, 03:15 AM
Veggie Regular

thanks for all the replies!

i have cut wheat from my diet, and that seemed to help a bit. and i do try very hard not to mix foods that usually don't do well together. i rarely eat processed foods, or preservatives, or hydrogenated oils. occiasonally, but not often.

it all just seems so random! i can't really seem to pinpoint foods that do it. i think some of it is stress related, but not all. i know i react to things with my belly.. i did have a test done years ago, and they did find h-pylori (sp?) bacteria, and i did take some anti-biotics, but that didn't seem to make it go away. and recently i did another test, but i don't think they found anything, at least they didn't mention it..

vegankittykat - does aloe vera taste good?

thanks for the advice about the supplement matchgirl, i'll definitely look into that! i've never had any luck with teas, ginger or mint, or the ones that are supposed to help.. though i've never tried it /before/ the meal.

i'm really at a loss.. i really enjoy food!
#9 Old 06-05-2003, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

The brand of aloe vera juice I use (I don't remember the name) specifically says on the label that it doesn't have a bitter taste, which it doesn't. It's like drinking water. So I guess that means some kinds don't taste very good.....hopefully you can find one like mine.
#10 Old 06-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Banned

I'd say see if you can get a sense of there being specific foods that are causing the problems. Keep your meals simple -- don't eat too many different things at one meal. Beyond that -- go to a gastro-enterologist -- a primary care physician would usually be useless for figuring out what is wrong. Only a gastro-enterologist can stick a camera down your esophagus, and up your ass, to see if there is anything wrong inside. Also, a radiologist would probably only scan your guts on the say-so of a gastro-enterologist.
#11 Old 06-05-2003, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

i've been to a few gastro-enterologists who usually run blood/stool tests.. they did find ulcer causing bacterias but they didn't seem to think they needed to do much else for me but prescribe some pills..?

vegankittykat- so you just drink it for five days only? on an empty stomach?

i think i'll start eating a /very/ simple diet, and then slowly add back things that may be culprits.

is there such thing as an allergy to sugar? processed or otherwise?
#12 Old 06-05-2003, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm pretty sure my chiropractor didn't tell me when I should drink it. So I just had a small cup first thing in the morning before I ate anything. Like I said, I've had stomach aches on and off my whole life, but a couple of months ago I had gotten around 8 of them in 4 days....that's when he told me to drink it for 5 days. I haven't gotten alot of them since, but when it feels like one is coming on, I drink a cup. I don't know about you, but I've noticed that sometimes I can tell that it's gonna start hurting, and then if I eat (no matter what I eat) it hurts alot.
#13 Old 06-05-2003, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

has your doc ruled out Crohn's or colitis? a friend of mine has colitis and gets really bad stomach problems if she's not very careful of what she eats.

she started following the body for life diet and i think has been having less problems

here are some symptoms and info:

http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/18/4428

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#14 Old 06-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Banned

finding Heliobacter pylori doesn't mean you have ulcers. The only way to see if you have ulcers is to go looking for them. Then you can also do a biopsy to see if there H pylori bacteria in the ulcers, but that still doesn't mean they are causing the ulcers. If they find ulcers, the modern treatment is strong acid-blocking drugs. Like Nexium. This will 95 % of the time, they say, allow the ulcers to heal, even whether they are caused by H pylori or not. If they don't heal, then they can try antibiotics as well. Then they do tests for stool h pylor or another endoscopy and biopsy. Blood tests don't show h pylori antigens, they show whether you have antibodies -- which you will still have even if you had h pylori 20 years ago and its gone now. That's why they didn't bother telling you you had h pylori positive blood test -- it's meaningless in relation to whether you have current ulcers.
#15 Old 06-05-2003, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

vegankittykat - yae, i can usually tell too.. hmm.. i'm gonna see if i can get some aleo vera. sounds worth a shot.

ladyfaile- my doc seems to think that since i'm only 20 there can't be anything seriously wrong.. ? i dunno.. thanks for the info, i'll look into it.
#16 Old 06-05-2003, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

i didn't think it meant that i had ulcers, just that maybe that's why i had stomach problems.

i think a part of me is just frightened to get all of those tests done.. it just feels so invasive to me.. sigh. but i should probably deal and just do it..! ack! i suppose i'm also hoping to find a more natural way of dealing with it, rather than taking prescribed meds...

thank you for all the info though!
#17 Old 06-05-2003, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by icicle

vegankittykat - yae, i can usually tell too.. hmm.. i'm gonna see if i can get some aleo vera. sounds worth a shot.

ladyfaile- my doc seems to think that since i'm only 20 there can't be anything seriously wrong.. ? i dunno.. thanks for the info, i'll look into it.

children can have these diseases, they're not just for old people. look up Chron's disease, colitis, and irritable bowel syndrome

that site i linked to has info on all of them. the friend with colitis is only in her early thirties and i'm pretty sure she grew up with this disorder

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#18 Old 06-05-2003, 06:30 PM
Banned

endoscopy is just sticking a camera down down your esophagus. YOu only have to fast for 12 hours. Colonoscopy requires a longer pre-camera preparation. I don't think Helicobacter pylor has been proven to cause anything else but ulcers, and I think it is believed it can exist without ever having caused problems, too.
#19 Old 06-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Banned

Children can have congenital blockages do to malformations --- areas where the tubing is too narrow.

If in the small intestine -- hard to find without extensive radiological tests. Neither endoscopy nor colonoscopy will reach.
#20 Old 06-05-2003, 06:34 PM
Banned

Endoscopy discovered I had duodenal and stomach ulcers -- but I never had classic symptoms. No heartburn. Gerd was only occaisional. I got a feeling of swelling in the stomach, bloating, and then I got nauseous 12 hours after everything I ate -- this went on for 2 weeks. Finally I went to gastro-enterologist and he discoverd, with endoscopy, that I had ulcers all over the place.
#21 Old 06-06-2003, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

A friend of mine swears by papaya extract pills, which I assume she gets at health food store. I've never tried them.....so I can't give my opinion on them.
#22 Old 06-06-2003, 07:39 PM

oh, one more thing about the probiotics - you might not notice a definate change for a few days, maybe even a week. but keep taking them (provided there are no adverse reactions) faithfully to allow them to re-build up all that healthy intestinal flora. in the beginning, take them right before a meal, preferably your two biggest meals. but if you eat something harder to digest (like beans, maybe) then be sure to have them with that meal.

when buying, look for the following:

- lactobacillus acidophilus (2 billion cfu)

- bifidobacterium lactis (2 billion cfu)

good luck!

oh yeah, the bottle *stinks* something wicked when you open it, so try not to breathe it in directly. the individual pills arent nearly as bad, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page