VeggieBoards banner

someone PLEASE tell me what is wrong with my mouth!

31K views 49 replies 34 participants last post by  chwwag 
#1 ·
first of all, i have this insanely bad canker sore on the inside of my lip. hurts like a biotch. i practically cried every time i tried to eat today. but that i'm not worried about, i get them on occasion....although i would kind of like to know WHY im getting them. i just had one go away (on the inside of my cheek, I bit it and it was cut and turned into a very painful obtrusive canker sore. the second that went away this new one developed.)

but then...there are these THINGS. I dont even know how to describe them, all I can think of to call them are "inflamed tastebuds." they're bumps that appear on my tongue, tiny tiny bumps, and i only get one and its most of the time near the very tip. HURTS. UNCOMFORTABLE. what the hell is it?? what causes it? i have TWO of those right now, one on the tip and a not as bad one on the right back side. but the one on the tip of my tongue sucks. i keep scraping at it with my teeth, practically trying to rip it off--bad idea, i know--and that, by the way, really hurts. has anyone experienced these? half the people I talk to know exactly what I'm talking about, the other half look at me as if I told them Elvis just showed up and watered my plants.

could it be too much acidity in my diet? i eat a lot of mangos and right now a mango sounds like the most painful thing in the world.

and how do i make them leave?!

thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
I had these really painful blisters in my mouth for a while a few years ago. They went away when I started taking vitamins (just a multi-vitamin a day), so I reckon they were caused by some vitamin deficiency. (My diet was of course pretty inadequate.)

#4 ·
When I get canker sores on my tongue that's exactly what they're like. Tiny, tiny bump. Hurts just as much a the big ones. In fact, I have a couple right now. Plus a huge cluster of them on the inside of my lip and one in the back of my mouth.

I don't think anyone knows for sure what causes them, but I know I'm really rundown lately which is probably why I got so many at a time. I bit my lip a few times which caused the first one, and when I have one, others follow.

I've heard they can be triggered by sodium laureth sulfate which is in most toothpastes. You might want to try a brand that doesn't have it. I've also heard they can be caused by vitamin deficiencies (B12 and others). My doctor gave me a prescription mouthwash to help with the pain but it just freezes my whole mouth (not good). You can also get freezing gel stuff at the drugstore that you can dab on the sore.

#5 ·
Certain toothpastes and mouthwashes can give you canker sores. Fecal matter in the mouth (transferance either through sex or not washing your hands properly) can also cause them.

Certain foods trigger it as well, such as strawberry jam (that is what triggers them in me). There's nothing you can do for them once you get them, you just have to wait them out. Though, mouth-numbing drops can be a huge help, as well as rinsing with warm salt water (full cup), as well as anbesol.

Good luck.

#6 ·
The ones on the insides of your lips are caused by tiny bacteria that get inside of small cuts that you have (could be from your teeth, from chewing on the insides of your mouth, braces, etc.). I seem to remember reading somewhere that stress can cause them, but I suspect that that is only because people tend to chew on the insides of thier mouths when they're stressed- also the immune system is lowered during times of stress which makes it harder for your body to fight off the little bacteria. They're like a little infection, and will go away on their own. If they bother you too much, you could go find some numbing ointment to get you through. Anbesol? I've probably spelled that incorrectly, but you can figure it out.

It sounds to me like ones that you are referring to on your tounge are little more than inflammed tastebuds. I'm not sure why they get inflammed, but I know that it happens, it's normal, and they go away in time.

#8 ·
I've been getting canker sores and "lie bumps" (the tongue bumps) since I was a little kid. Various doctors have told me that they don't really know why I get them. I do notice that they tend to come around when I'm under more stress than usual.

The fancy name for those bumps is transient lingual papillitis.

#11 ·
There may be an inherited tendency to develop canker sores, as they often run in families. There may also be an immune system link. Ulcers may develop in response to a mouth injury such as dental procedures or aggressive tooth cleaning.

Canker sores are thought to form when, for unexplained reasons, a person's immune system identifies the presence of chemical molecules that it does not recognize. The presence of these molecules activates an attack by the immune system's lymphocytes (a type of white blood cell), somewhat like when a person's immune system attacks a transplanted organ. The carnage of the lymphocytes' attack on these unrecognized molecules results in the type of mouth ulcers we term canker sores.

Several factors that seem to trigger outbreaks of canker sores have been identified. Any one or a combination of the following items may play a significant role in the formation of canker sores for any one individual:

Toothpastes and mouthwashes that contain sodium lauryl sulfate.

Research suggests that a person's use of products that contain sodium lauryl sulfate ("SLS"), a foaming agent found in most toothpaste and mouthwash formulations, can cause an increased recurrence rate of canker sores. This is probably due to a drying effect SLS has on the protective surface of oral tissues. Once this protective layer has been compromised the tissue underneath is more vulnerable to irritants such as acidic foods.

Several studies have reported that participants who brushed with a toothpaste that was SLS free found that they experienced a reduction in the number of canker sores that formed. This reduction was found to be 81% in one study. In this same study some of the participants reported that the canker sores that did form were less painful than those that developed during those time periods when they had been using a toothpaste that did contain SLS.

Mechanical trauma.

People will often recall some sort of trauma preceding the formation of their canker sores. This trauma might take the form of a self-inflicted bite, irritation from a sharp tooth, or possibly trauma from some type of food such as a crisp chip. 38% of the participants of one study felt that their canker sores were precipitated by trauma.

Emotional stress / Psychic stress.

Psychological stress has been shown to adversely affect the health of people in a number of ways. Many people who suffer from canker sores will frequently report that the timing of their ulcers coincide with periods of stress.

Nutritional deficiencies.

Researchers have discovered that some people who suffer from canker sores have an underlying nutritional deficiency. Some of the nutritional deficiencies that have been correlated with the presence of canker sores are:

* Vitamin deficiencies: B1, B2, B6, B12, C

* Other nutrients: zinc, folic acid, iron, selenium, calcium

Allergies and sensitivities.

Allergies to foods and other substances have been postulated as being a trigger for canker sore breakouts. Any substance that comes into contact with the person's oral tissues must be considered a potential causative agent. If an allergy is suspected the individual might choose to maintain a diary so to help them and their dentist identify the most likely candidates associated with the causation of their sores. In some cases allergy testing might be considered.

Some of the substances identified by researchers as being potential triggers for canker sore outbreaks are:

* Cereal grains: buckwheat, wheat, oats, rye, barley, the gluten protein found in grains

* Fruits and vegetables: lemons, oranges, pineapples, apples, figs, tomatoes, strawberries

* Dairy: milk, cheeses

* Other foods: nuts, chocolate, shellfish, soy, vinegar, French mustard

* Additives: cinnamonaldehyde (a flavoring agent), benzoic acid (a preservative)

* Other substances: toothpastes, mints, gums, dental materials, metals, medications

Hormonal changes.

Some women have reported that they find a relationship between the presence of canker sores and certain phases of their menstrual period. It has also been reported that a woman may notice a remission of canker sores during pregnancy. Neither of these observations has been adequately documented or explained by research.

Genetics.

Some researchers have felt that they have identified a genetic predisposition for canker sores. One study found that 35% of those persons who experience canker sores have at least one parent who suffers from these ulcers also. Another study found that 91% of identical twins both suffered from canker sores whereas only 57% of fraternal twins did.

Infectious agents (both bacterial and viral).

The fact that substances characteristic of bacterial and viral infections have been isolated from canker sores suggests that bacteria or viruses could be causative in the formation of these mouth ulcers.

Medical conditions.

Several different medical conditions can be associated with the presence of canker sores (and other forms of aphthous ulcers as well). For those patients who experience persistent difficulties with canker sores consideration must be given to the presence of an underlying undiagnosed systemic disease and the need for an evaluation and testing by a physician.

A few of the medical conditions that have been associated with the presence of these ulcers are: Behcet's disease, neutrophil dysfunction diseases, inflammatory bowel diseases (celiac and Crohn's), and HIV-AIDS.

Medications.

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), beta blockers, chemotherapeutic agents, and nicorandil have each been reported as possibly having a relationship with outbreaks of canker sores.

I get them often, mostly when I'm not on birth control and right about to get my peroid. I usually get a canker sore or a cold sore just about every month. They come earlier in my cycle and less often when I'm on birth contol.

#12 ·
Recently, in a thread about cold sores, someone posted a link that described what they are and why some people get them. That link explained the difference between canker sores, cold sores, and those tiny tongue sores like you have on your tongue. Do you suffer from cold sores, also? I *think* I recall that site specifying that the tiny tongue sores are caused by the same virus that causes cold sores on the lips or around the mouth, and the sores like the one you have on the inside of your lip or cheek are something else. I think I've only had oa handful of lip or cheek sores in my life, but I get cold sores nearly yearly and I get those things on my tongue several times a year. I actually did bite one off the tip of my tongue recently. It wasn't too painful; biting through it was no more painful than biting down on it when I was tempted to bite it off. And no, I didn't sprout more sores or anything like that.

#13 ·
canker sores could mean your b12 is low. no idea about the tongue things.

#14 ·
thanks guys.

the thing on my tongue isnt bothering me as much anymore, but its still there. now I'm more concerned with the throbbing pain coursing through my body.

this canker sore is TERRIBLE. it huurrrrrrrrttttts. worse than any I've ever had.

but now the glands in my neck are swollen too, mostly on the right side, and they hurt BAD. im having trouble breathing more than ususal because they're all swollen.

my entire head feels like it's about to fall off......whhhhhat is wrong with me!?!

i obviously have immune system problems.

dude. maybe I'll get mono. a lot of the symptoms match from what I saw (fatigue, soreness, lymph nodes, pain in abdomen, etc) I doubt it though.

#15 ·
Maybe you should see a doctor... the neck glands thing sounds like your body's fighting an infection. Canker sores can happen along with infections because your immune system is weakened (so said my doc last time I had a respiratory infection... I had canker sore-type ulcerations on my throat and uvula along with it.)

#19 ·
I highly, highly, times 10000 doubt it.

First of all I've gotten these sores all my life

second of all it's just not possible unless someone lied or really failed to tell me, and I trust the two people I've been with in my entire life. Neither of them was a f*** and run kind of deal so yeah.

plus I ALWAYS hurt. I'm dealing with ED recovery right now and I'm fatigued alot, though its much better now than it was before.

It may also be allergies. it's that time of the year again, my nose was itching like a ***** this morning and i felt like i was getting sick- always happens when my allergies start acting up. i think i just have allergies in general, and not to a specific thing. oh well.

#20 ·
Just get a little tube of benzocaine liquid or gel to put on the sores. They sell it for "toothaches" but it doesn't help toothaches. It does help pain from large dental caries, but those are not classic toothaches, which are infections at the apex of the tooth's root. It is excellent for cancre sores. Put on a single drop. Wait about 5 seconds. Pain gone. Put on another drop. Pain will be gone for about an hour.

Yes then go to a doctor.

Cancre sores are viral infections. A kind of herpes virus. You get them from leaving your house and being near other people, whilst being overworked and over stressed and thus having your immune system weakened. To avoid them, stay home and relax. Most likely a visit to a doctors office will cause a re-infection -- from all the other people visiting, who have them.

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by porvida View Post

.there are these THINGS. I dont even know how to describe them, all I can think of to call them are "inflamed tastebuds." thanks!
Those sound like they might be mucoceles, which I occasionally get inside my lower lip. Mucoceles, at least, are harmless, though from your description I can't be sure that that's what you're experiencing.

I'll second the lysine recommendation. It works for me. Animal-free lysine supplements can be found, eg. at an HFS. I'd suggest 1000mg daily with food to fight an outbreak, then 500mg every day or other day. My understanding is that many plant foods don't contain much lysine, so it's easy to not get enough. YMMV, read labels before taking any supplement, etc....

#22 ·
I'm almost positive it's another canker sore. I have been struggling with canker sores for several years. The last 3 months I have had none stop sores in my mouth. My family doctor is telling me there is nothing he can do for me. I personally think ther is some under lying issue. There has to be some test that can be ran to rule out diseases associated with mouth sores??? I've had these sores you're talking about and if I play with them the actually turn into a canker sore on the tongue. It is HORRIBLE.

In Pain

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.