Stomach flu really food poisining? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-08-2002, 10:58 AM

It seems that I read one that there is no such thing as the "stomach flu". (Categorized as vomiting, diarrhea, etc) I thought I read that there is only one true influenza which is a respitory ailment.

I belive it said when you have the "stomach flu" it's acutally food poisining. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, where can I read about this? I tried to find something myself on the internet but couldn't find anything about it.

Thanks so much for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2002, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I have always hear this, too. Here is one link I found-

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=DS00085

I did think that most of these foodborne illnesses were bacteria, but this page says you can get "stomach flu" symptoms from viruses.
#3 Old 04-10-2002, 09:13 AM

Thank you Thalia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-12-2003, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont think so, i think the stomache flu is where your sick and your stomacke just cant hold any food in. I mean why else would you have a sore throat or stuffy nose when you have the flu? Food poisening doesnt cause that. My grandpa has had it before and he just got violentlly sick to the stomache. with food poisening you get sick to your stomache but the flu is different.
#5 Old 02-12-2003, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Since going veg. our family almost never gets the "stomach" flu...so I think it is food poisoning.
#6 Old 02-12-2003, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

mushroom maybe its because your eating healthier and your immune sytem can fight off viruses and stuff better. i dont know for certain but thats what i think.
#7 Old 02-13-2003, 03:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I think stomach flu is a name that is given to about everything that upsets the stomach.

There is a lot of food poisoning around and its not only the cases that have to get to hospital.

If you eat something at 18:00 and wake up sick the next morning, feel miserable during the day and feel (a lot) better the day after that: Most likely food poisoning.
#8 Old 02-13-2003, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

A few years ago, we got Chinese take out and my husband and I were the only ones to eat a particular dish, and coinkydink, we were the only ones who got sick to our stomachs about 8 hours later. I tend to think all along, I was making my family sick with bacteria from meat...

I have also noticed that sometimes my children who attend one school will get "the stomach flu" but not the two who attend the other school and vice versa. If it were a virus, it should spread at home. I'm thinking that they were served the same "bad" food.

Just my theory.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page