The Stop Smoking Support Thread - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 04-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Rain2lightening's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,208
This thread is for those who want to quit smoking and need support and for people who have quit and want to give out tips to help.



I have found the patch to really help alot. And gum. Regular, not the nicorette. My bro in law chewed on straws and that helped his oral cravings.
Rain2lightening is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 04-23-2005, 01:18 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
my mom is trying to quit. she bought some filters to put on her cigarette. she was so amazed how much stuff was getting caught in them. she lost them for a while and may have to get another set. but she said it was helping her out.
GhostUser is offline  
#3 Old 04-23-2005, 01:34 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain2lightening View Post

This thread is for those who want to quit smoking and need support and for people who have quit and want to give out tips to help.



I have found the patch to really help alot. And gum. Regular, not the nicorette. My bro in law chewed on straws and that helped his oral cravings.



Does this mean you are quitting??
Brandon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 04-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular
 
hopeforanimals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 333
Carry a balloon around with you. Whenever you get a craving, blow into the balloon, then inhale what you just exhaled--it gives the same physiological effect as inhaling a cigarette.



Also, the tobacco industry does heavy experimenting on animals, including monkeys, dogs, and cats. These include exposing the animals to first- and second-hand smoke for hours and days on end to study the effects of cancer sticks on impotency and other direly important medical issues. (Note: sarcasm) This alone helped me quit over 5 years ago.
hopeforanimals is offline  
#5 Old 04-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Rain2lightening's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

Does this mean you are quitting??





Yep
Rain2lightening is offline  
#6 Old 04-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Rain2lightening's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeforanimals View Post

Carry a balloon around with you. Whenever you get a craving, blow into the balloon, then inhale what you just exhaled--it gives the same physiological effect as inhaling a cigarette.



Also, the tobacco industry does heavy experimenting on animals, including monkeys, dogs, and cats. These include exposing the animals to first- and second-hand smoke for hours and days on end to study the effects of cancer sticks on impotency and other direly important medical issues. (Note: sarcasm) This alone helped me quit over 5 years ago.



I already know about the animal testing. Cravings and my addiction is too strong to quit for that alone. I had to wait until I was completely ready or else I would fail no matter what I tried.



Ill try the balloon thing. Sounds interesting....
Rain2lightening is offline  
#7 Old 04-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular
 
hopeforanimals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain2lightening View Post

I already know about the animal testing. Cravings and my addiction is too strong to quit for that alone.



What about if you pictured your own cats being used in these experiments? It's easier to be objective and unaffected when you remove yourself personally from a terrible, unjust situation. Honestly, I know if anyone ever intentionally harmed my four-legged babies, I would be in jail for murder one, so all it took was a little imagination, and I quit smoking cold-turkey.
hopeforanimals is offline  
#8 Old 04-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Rain2lightening's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeforanimals View Post

What about if you pictured your own cats being used in these experiments? It's easier to be objective and unaffected when you remove yourself personally from a terrible, unjust situation. Honestly, I know if anyone ever intentionally harmed my four-legged babies, I would be in jail for murder one, so all it took was a little imagination, and I quit smoking cold-turkey.





Excuse me this thread is to SUPPORT not harrass people who want to quit. Your way helped you, that doesnt mean it will do it for everyone. Im glad it worked for you but get off my case if it doesnt work for me.



Edit: Sorry, I realize what you were saying was a support suggestion. Just it ticked me off that it sounded like you were saying Im not a good person because I didnt quit because of the animals and then to put MY animals in it... well just took it too far for me. Again, sorry for blowing up
Rain2lightening is offline  
#9 Old 04-23-2005, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular
 
hopeforanimals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain2lightening View Post

Excuse me this thread is to SUPPORT not harrass people who want to quit. Your way helped you, that doesnt mean it will do it for everyone. Im glad it worked for you but get off my case if it doesnt work for me.



I'm sorry--didn't mean for that to come off as "harrassing". Forgot that it's easy for people to misconstrue your meaning and tone when there's no voice behind the words. I was only suggesting--again, didn't mean to come across as pushy.
hopeforanimals is offline  
#10 Old 04-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Rain2lightening's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeforanimals View Post

I'm sorry--didn't mean for that to come off as "harrassing". Forgot that it's easy for people to misconstrue your meaning and tone when there's no voice behind the words. I was only suggesting--again, didn't mean to come across as pushy.





No, its ok, I edited my post. I didnt change it in time. Sorry
Rain2lightening is offline  
#11 Old 04-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular
 
hopeforanimals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 333




Sometimes, I think we have to insert disclaimers in emails and online posts to make sure that recipients aren't misunderstanding our intent. This is one of those times. Again, sorry.
hopeforanimals is offline  
#12 Old 04-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Rain2lightening's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeforanimals View Post





Sometimes, I think we have to insert disclaimers in emails and online posts to make sure that recipients aren't misunderstanding our intent. This is one of those times. Again, sorry.





no need to be sorry hun im the one who is sorry. i read it too quickly and reacted too quickly. then re-read it and realized my mistake. You didnt post wrong



group hug!
Rain2lightening is offline  
#13 Old 04-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Formerbaboon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,201
Oh thank god. I've been trying to hard. Since 4/21. On that day, bought a pack, smoked it all. After that, smoked a few. Yesterday, smoked one, because my fiance made me so pissed I needed it. And I had gone all day!! No cigarettes today so far.
Formerbaboon is offline  
#14 Old 04-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
girl2beaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,586
I've never smoked, so I have no idea if this works, but I've heard that some people like to use chewing sticks (little toothpicks impregnated with tea tree oil and minty flavor) in place of cigarettes.
girl2beaver is offline  
#15 Old 04-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,833
A few of the little things that helped me when I quit:

-Keep your hands busy doing something. I found that I got very fidgety, and if I even just had something (like a pen) to hold onto, and play with that it helped. Busy hands can't hold a cig.



-Once all the cigs are gone, don't buy any more. You might want to avoid the store where you regularly bought them for a while too, as going in there might trigger you to buy them.



-Realize you are probably going to gain a few pounds. That is totally normal, because of your metabolism slowing down. It's better to eat (healthy, preferrably) snacky things than to smoke. Suggestions: carrots, grapes, etc.



-You will probably be emotional for the first 2-3 days. Try not to take it out on others, because it isn't their fault you are a nicotene addict, right? It takes 72 hours for your body to become nicotene-free. It gets significantly easier after that (or so it was for me).



-If it gets too hellish, get up and go someplace. I would go for walks all over the place. (After all, your health will be improving, so what could exercising hurt?).

Go window-shopping at the mall. Go for a nice scenic drive somewhere. Anything to get your mind off of how bored you are and how much you want to have a smoke.



-If alcohol or coffee is triggering to your desire to smoke, then try to avoid them. I've known a load of people who quit for a long time, and then had their downfall at a party once they had a few drinks in them. (alcohol's been known to lower inhibition, so it may seem like it won't hurt anything to have some cigs that night, but in reality it will be starting back out at square one).



Also, you might check out this site:
http://whyquit.com/

Lots of good stuff and information on there. Plenty to read!



Be patient with yourself. It will and does get easier!!!

Also, consider the benefits! You will have more money. You will smell better. Your teeth will be whiter. Your energy level will increase. Food will taste better. The coughing will go away.

And so on.



Anyway, just wanted to put that stuff on here. I hope it's helpful.
Brandon is offline  
#16 Old 04-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular
 
hopeforanimals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 333
Some possible motivators:



--20 minutes after quitting smoking: Your blood pressure drops to a level close to that before your last cigarette. The temperature of your hands and feet increases, returning to normal.



--24 hours after quitting smoking: Your chances of having a heart attack decrease.



--1 year after quitting smoking: You reduce your risk for heart disease by 50%.



--5-15 years after quitting smoking: Your risk of having a stroke is the same as someone who has never smoked.



--10 years after quitting smoking: Your risk for dying from lung cancer is about half that of a continuing smoker's, and your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas also decreases.



--15 years after quitting smoking: Your risk of heart disease is now the same as someone who has never smoked.



--A one pack-a-day smoker who pays at least $3 per pack can expect to save more than $1,000 per year by quitting.



Source: National Women's Health Information Center
Tea Rose likes this.
hopeforanimals is offline  
#17 Old 04-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rainbow_clouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,579
I never smoked.



My grandmother smoked for 50+ years and quit cold turkey one day. She said it helped to have a fake lemon flavored cigerette to puff on. She also can't drive and has to rely on other people to buy her things so I suppose that helped a lot, she couldn't just go out to the store.
rainbow_clouds is offline  
#18 Old 04-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular
 
hopeforanimals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 333
I heard a story once about a man who had smoked for years and years, then suddenly went blind one day. He stopped smoking then because he could no longer see the smoke he exhaled. Think about that--would we smoke if we were all blind?
hopeforanimals is offline  
#19 Old 04-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Banned
 
remilard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,772
For motivation:



If you smoke a pack per day at the national average price ($4), quit, and put the $4 into an investment at 5% annual effective interest compounded twice yearly, you will have $181,319 in 40 years.
remilard is offline  
#20 Old 04-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Rain2lightening's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,208
anybody doing well on quitting?
Rain2lightening is offline  
#21 Old 04-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Alfiedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,905
I stopped smoking Marlboro Lights when I heard about that. Unfortunately, or fortunately - depending on which way you look at it - I found out that American Spirits don't do animal test. They were bought by a bigger company who does animal test but their marketing materials and customer service say they do NOT animal test and function independently . . .



Anyway, yesterday was supposed to be my quit date Didn't do so well. I have cut down from 15-20 cigs/day to about 8/day during the week. On weekends I let myself just smoke. I had two cigs this morning and finished my pack. I'm trying not to at least get through the day with not smoking.



Last time, a few months ago I stopped for two weeks, but had terrible anxiety and depression. I have antidepressants, but I'd prefer not to use them. However, taking a pill a day is probably better than smoking.
Alfiedog is offline  
#22 Old 04-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Alfiedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,905
also someone here suggested Quitnet.com that I joined. It's actually a great site, but part of the problem was when I stopped for two weeks I would just read about how depression/anxiety can stay with you for years after you stop and that kind of scared me even more
Alfiedog is offline  
#23 Old 04-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Rain2lightening's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,208
I have depression and was able to quit for 7 months last year and my depression didnt worsen. I wouldnt worry about it. Each person is different on how they react.



Great job on cutting back the way you have! You should be proud of that instead of beating yourself up for the other things
Rain2lightening is offline  
#24 Old 04-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Alfiedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,905
I had a few things going on and I think they were all connected. I gave up smoking, alcohol and caffeine on the same day - so perhaps it was just too much at once.



When I started cutting down - one thing that REALLY helped was a smoking log. I would list the time and the circumstances of when I was smoking. I found that was smoking a LOT after work - I'd go home drink wine and talk on the phone and I think I smoked about 10 cigs! So eliminating the drinking after work, took care of most of the cigs I was normally smoking. And right after work I get the dogs ready and we go for a hike



I never knew it would be this hard to stop . .



Rain, have you actually stopped yet or are you cutting down.
Alfiedog is offline  
#25 Old 04-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Rain2lightening's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiedog View Post

I had a few things going on and I think they were all connected. I gave up smoking, alcohol and caffeine on the same day - so perhaps it was just too much at once.



When I started cutting down - one thing that REALLY helped was a smoking log. I would list the time and the circumstances of when I was smoking. I found that was smoking a LOT after work - I'd go home drink wine and talk on the phone and I think I smoked about 10 cigs! So eliminating the drinking after work, took care of most of the cigs I was normally smoking. And right after work I get the dogs ready and we go for a hike



I never knew it would be this hard to stop . .



Rain, have you actually stopped yet or are you cutting down.



when I tried to do the caffine and ciggs at the same time it was impossible. So i tried the easiest thing first and cut out the caffine and now Im working on the ciggs. I havent stopped yet. Im down to about 10 a day now. thats from 15-20 a day. Im going to go with the patch next week since thats what helped me quit last year
Rain2lightening is offline  
#26 Old 04-29-2005, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Alfiedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,905
They say you should just stop cold turkey but I have found cutting down is helping me tons.



When you have stopped have you had any anxiety? What do you do when you REALLY want a cig?
Alfiedog is offline  
#27 Old 05-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Rain2lightening's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiedog View Post

They say you should just stop cold turkey but I have found cutting down is helping me tons.



When you have stopped have you had any anxiety? What do you do when you REALLY want a cig?





It was hard for the first week. It was a mind thing. I distracted myself until the craving went away. After that I was fine. Then I was done with the cycle of the patches I didnt have cravings until I got really really stressed and took a puff here and there from someone i know then it turned to a cigg here and there then went to me buying a pack. I hope that this time when Im stressed I wont take a puff. And it wasnt a physical craving for it either when it happend until I got into having a cigg now and then.
Rain2lightening is offline  
#28 Old 05-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Jobey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 429
Good luck! I smoked quite heavily for about three years and managed to quit. The main thing that helped me was avoiding everyone who smokes (most of my friends) and smokey places (pubs and coffee shops). Its a pretty harsh way to do it but it removed the main temptation for me (social smoking). When I was on my own it was easier, I just made my tea as usual but swapped the smoke for biscuits

I miss smoking though, its a great way to meet new people 'you gotta light?' and really rather satisfying. Shame it kills you. Good luck all you quitters!
Jobey is offline  
#29 Old 05-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Rain2lightening's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobey View Post

Good luck! I smoked quite heavily for about three years and managed to quit. The main thing that helped me was avoiding everyone who smokes (most of my friends) and smokey places (pubs and coffee shops). Its a pretty harsh way to do it but it removed the main temptation for me (social smoking). When I was on my own it was easier, I just made my tea as usual but swapped the smoke for biscuits

I miss smoking though, its a great way to meet new people 'you gotta light?' and really rather satisfying. Shame it kills you. Good luck all you quitters!





Ive been smoking for 15 years. And when I did quit briefly, I too avoided the smoking places except at home. I lived with someone who smoked but we only smoked outside so that wasnt too bad.



Thanks for the luck!
Rain2lightening is offline  
#30 Old 05-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
meatless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,670
Move to Canada. Cigarettes are $7-8 a pack. Most people can't afford to smoke.



I have never smoked, but if you're looking for inspiration, my dad used to smoke 2.5 packs a day for about 15 years. He quit cold turkey and never smoked again. Now, at 51, he runs 6 kms a day and is in great health.
meatless is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off