The Stop Smoking Support Thread - Page 17 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#481 Old 12-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Banned

hey, i have quit smoking , but has started chewing chewing gum instead of ciagrette. any thoughts on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 Old 12-12-2009, 04:41 AM
Banned

Homeopathic medicine like Walnut, Sceleranthus can help you getting rid of alcohol & smoking addiction.

The best benefit of this is that it have no side effect on human body.

Drug and Alcohol Rehab
#483 Old 12-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by super veggie View Post

soooo i tried to quit it was hard im a AVID fitness person so even though it affected me todya really bad in my weightlifting class because we had conditioning and we pretty much ran for a hour and a half... after the class was over i saw my guy i get my cig's from and bought a pack its so hard... soccer season is coming up and my smocking was not this bad last year during soccer season i need to make more of a effort to quit. But for some reason i gain weight when i quit and this is not ok for me

you know what's been bothering me about this post? You seem to be saying you bought your cigarettes from a "dealer" at school, who's selling cigarettes to underage students. There are at least three laws being broken there that I can see...

Nec Aspera Terrent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#484 Old 12-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

you know what's been bothering me about this post? You seem to be saying you bought your cigarettes from a "dealer" at school, who's selling cigarettes to underage students. There are at least three laws being broken there that I can see...

he is a friend of mine he just dosent give it to everyone, And this guys is 18. But there are a lot of dealers at my school. But my guy i mean he has drugs but the same with cig's he would not give them to everyone just a few and i would never ever buy those!
#485 Old 12-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quitting smoking is the hardest thing that I have ever done in my life. I eat carrots. Lots and lots of carrots. In fact I have eaten so many carrots since giving up smoking that my skin turned orange at one point. I looked like I had one of those fake tans. LoL. But it's still healthier than smoking so I didn't mind the comments about how I looked like Paris Hilton minus the titties. Carrots are cheaper regardless. And Paris Hilton doesn't have that great a set of titties anyway.
#486 Old 12-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger View Post

quitting smoking is the hardest thing that i have ever done in my life. I eat carrots. Lots and lots of carrots. In fact i have eaten so many carrots since giving up smoking that my skin turned orange at one point. I looked like i had one of those fake tans. Lol. But it's still healthier than smoking so i didn't mind the comments about how i looked like paris hilton minus the titties. Carrots are cheaper regardless. And paris hilton doesn't have that great a set of titties anyway.

lmao!!
#487 Old 12-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by super veggie View Post

he is a friend of mine he just dosent give it to everyone, And this guys is 18. But there are a lot of dealers at my school. But my guy i mean he has drugs but the same with cig's he would not give them to everyone just a few and i would never ever buy those!

Providing underage person (you) with cigarettes - Illegal

Selling cigarettes without a proper license - Illegal

Having cigarettes (contraband) on High School campus - against the rules, at least...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#488 Old 01-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Beginner

15 days quit.
#489 Old 01-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffuary View Post

15 days quit.

Congratulations!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Doesn't your mouth taste better in the mornings?

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#490 Old 01-17-2010, 12:06 PM

Just quit smoking! I have been a smoker for about 13 years, minus 1 1/2 years before and after my pregnancy. My husband and I quit for a full week, then got in an argument (as our nerves were completely frayed from the cravings) and broke down and bought a pack...we smoked Friday and Sat, then decided to start over again today..man is it hard!!!! Feel like the anxiety is killing me and I'd really like to start breaking things.
#491 Old 01-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Congrats on your decision to quit!!

Now, to ensure your success: READ THE BOOK.

"The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Alan Carr.

I know I sound like a broken record, but if you really want to quit, you'll take a couple of afternoons and learn about the addiction, and the proven method to quit PAINLESSLY.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#492 Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 PM

Thanks Randy! I really should pick up that book. I have watched several of his videos on You tube and totally agree with him. From my experience cold turkey is the only way to go....a little suffering now makes for a much stronger quit in the long run. I like to go to whyquit.com Also very good information and helpful tips. But sometimes when the cravings hit really hard, I just want to ignore the truth and give in without thinking about it! I really need some inner strength right now.
#493 Old 01-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I quit smoking 3 months ago after reading Alan Carr's book. It was pretty painless. I did smoke this weekend though...It was my 30th birthday and I was pretty drunk. I am back on the wagon now though and am going to re read a few of the chapters from the book.
#494 Old 01-20-2010, 12:05 AM

i quit back in may, i started when i was 15 and am now 21, i found that working out is the best way to quit. Also i found myself counting days, and it wasnt until i stopped this that i really made progress. When you count weeks months, and days without a cig, then you are thinking about it and you give your cravings power, just something i noticed for the help of others, also you i still have cravings, once your addicted it dont stop you just become a non-smoking smoker, but when i fight the urge i feel good.
#495 Old 01-24-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liziloo View Post

Just quit smoking! I have been a smoker for about 13 years, minus 1 1/2 years before and after my pregnancy. My husband and I quit for a full week, then got in an argument (as our nerves were completely frayed from the cravings) and broke down and bought a pack...we smoked Friday and Sat, then decided to start over again today..man is it hard!!!! Feel like the anxiety is killing me and I'd really like to start breaking things.

just hang in there. its very tough to quit but it's always better if you have someone quitting with you. my friend and i just quit together and we are doing well we slip sometimes but quiting together helps you stay motivated.
#496 Old 02-19-2010, 02:26 PM

I'm going to recommend:

Allen Carrs "Easy Way to stop smoking"

I read it about 7 years ago now and haven't smoked since. I also did not experience the "cravings" or miss them at all and this is coming from someone who started smoking at 12! And was lighting them off the end of the other! lol! I'm not that old to be honest, I just started way too early :S

Anyway, the book is basically an Un-Brainwashing book. We're brainwashed to smoke, either by society or by ourselves and as soon as you really realise that you're not truley gaining anything or any sense of pleasure from smoking, the urge will leave you... the nicotine that's left in your system will be nothing to deal with because you wont care! And that actually disipates quite quickly anyway, lol. Anyway, worked for me, and my husband and my FIL and a few friends who wanted the book, so that's just my tip!

Good Luck

xx J
#497 Old 02-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I've tried quitting 3 or 4 times now. I've been a smoker for about 3 years now. I've cut way way back (down to 3-6/day, depending on the day)...

I just can't seem to kick it. I'm severely depressed, recovering from an eating disorder (for about 6 years I've had problems off and on with anorexia and sever OCD). I want to quit but I just can't handle eveything at once. Is it better to continue smoking while recovery and work on that after I've gone back to normal eating patterns or kick it all at once?

I know this is an odd quesiton...

Everything you read says exercise helps with quitting...however, i'm under strict rules not to exercise at this time....

My nutritionist says to not worry about smoking but to worry more about getting enough nutrition in. My therapist says I need to quit. I dont know what to do...I know how horrible smoking is but I can't handle everything w/o cigarettes. Like I said I have an eating disorder...and sever OCD with anxiety....
#498 Old 03-12-2010, 07:32 AM

I have just recently made some progress when it comes to quitting smoking. It has now been about a month. I feel proud of myself for making it even just this far. But things are a little rough.
#499 Old 04-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if anyone has said this already, but what helped me quit was warm orange soda and having people that live with me smoke outside.
#500 Old 05-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

A few days with no cigarettes. I want to quit so I can work out and become a sexy beast!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#501 Old 05-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I have the patch. Its ok. Its just not helping that much. I think I will get the gum later today.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I want a damn cigarette!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#502 Old 06-11-2010, 06:34 AM
Banned

quit smoking is never easy as I thought it would be , I have tried many times but always get the other side,..lately I tried again and it is my 3rd month now ,hopefully I can overcome this craving, I already ask help from family members , and quit smoking support teams in our place..

quit smoking aids
#503 Old 06-15-2010, 09:36 AM

Wow- Nobody's posted here in a couple months. A friend of mine was talking (rather excitedly) about a book they'd been reading which has inspired and helped them to quit smoking. Not sure if it's the same one that Randy was suggesting. I should ask him if I can loan it. I know he's brought it up a couple times and really suggessted we try reading it too.

I find that it takes only about a couple days for the physical cravings to go away. After that, it's all mental. It's so ingrained to go have a smoke now, that when you don't smoke you don't know what to do with yourself. If I'd normally have a smoke when I wake up, after dinner, while I'm drinking.. That's what I find really hard. I don't know what to do with myself when I'm thinking or when I'm bored because now I'm not able to smoke.

I think patches could help if you were a really heavy smoker, but they're so expensive and I think if you just drop the cigs after a couple days the cravings will go away on their own.

But if anyone has any more suggestions on how to effectively distract yourself when you'd normally be having a smoke, I'd like to hear them. Whenever I'm trying not to smoke, the hardest thing is figuring out what to do with myself. Sometimes I find myself pacing back and forth. I was thinking that I'd make myself go for a run or something now that the weather's better but with my knees and stuff I don't think running is very advisable. Maybe just a brisk walk. I find the best thing is to just keep myself really busy and find lots of distractions.
#504 Old 06-15-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wam2u' date='20 January 2010 - 12:05 AM' timestamp='1263971116' post='2534396 View Post

i quit back in may, i started when i was 15 and am now 21, i found that working out is the best way to quit. Also i found myself counting days, and it wasnt until i stopped this that i really made progress. When you count weeks months, and days without a cig, then you are thinking about it and you give your cravings power, just something i noticed for the help of others, also you i still have cravings, once your addicted it dont stop you just become a non-smoking smoker, but when i fight the urge i feel good.

I actually agree with you, at least for myself, about the counting days thing. I tried joining a stop-smoking forum, but I left because everyone there kept emphasising "Not one single puff, ever" kinda thing (that was their slogan) and I just found that whole attitude more overwhelming than helpful. I'd rather focus on my overall progress than chastise myself if I let myself have a couple of drags of my boyfriend's cig once in the evening. In fact, the site had a ticker which showed how long you'd been smoke-free and if you admitted you'd smoked, even just a single puff, they set it back to the beginning. And I'm like, oh yeah, just completely discredit how well we've been doing and make us go back to the start. That sort of thing really did not help me. I mean, talk about totally discouraging. I think you're right that just focussing on yourself as being a non-smoker now and focus on filling in the time you'd normally use to smoke with non-smoker activities that's much more beneficial. If it happens you have a puff or two along the way, who cares? I think the major thing is simply moving away from impulse smoking, and becoming more concious of when you have those impulses so that you can control them rather than have them become ingrained habits.
#505 Old 06-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Ankle Biter

LadyRose- I'm going to suggest to you that it's not mental at all, it's the addiction that causes you to look for distractions. Non smokers don't need to find distraction, because they are not battling nicotine withdrawal. Understand that your withdrawal is what is making you pace and crave something to do! And congratulate yourself, because you are getting clean. I promise (as someone who quit after 20 years, ten years ago) that once the nicotine has truly left your system (and it can take weeks), you will enjoy not having to get up from the dinner table to go smoke, because nonsmokers don't need to leave- they can stay at the table and still have a great time enjoying the company of those around.

And I can tell you, that for me, playing with puffs every now and then, did me no good whatsoever. I tried innumerable times to cut down, only smoke when I was out, limit myself to three whole cigs a day - you name it. But being addicted to 3 cigarettes is just the same as being addicted to 20 or 40. It's additiction, plain and simple. I personally had to get mad enough about having no real choice in the matter to be able to quit for good. Alan Carr's "Easy Way to Quit Smoking" was worth it's weight in gold! It helped me realize the full and awful extent of my addiction, and made me realize what it would take to quit - and that, simply stated, is to never smoke another cigarette again!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#506 Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 AM

Poppy- When you tried quitting smoking, how many people tried to convince you that you shouldn't? Was anyone actually mad at you for trying?
#507 Old 06-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Ankle Biter

No not at all. I was the only one I knew who smoked, so I was alone with it.

#508 Old 06-19-2010, 10:15 AM

Hmm... I was wondering. The first time I tried to quit smoking my boyfriend was mad at me about it. And this time around, someone else told me I should give up because I can't predict what's gonna happen in the future. I wonder why they'd be opposed? I thought everyone would be happy and proud of me for trying to quit smoking. I never expected people to tell me, "No! You shouldn't do that!" It kinda sucks.
#509 Old 06-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRose' date='19 June 2010 - 12:15 PM' timestamp='1276964145' post='2661183 View Post

Hmm... I was wondering. The first time I tried to quit smoking my boyfriend was mad at me about it. And this time around, someone else told me I should give up because I can't predict what's gonna happen in the future. I wonder why they'd be opposed? I thought everyone would be happy and proud of me for trying to quit smoking. I never expected people to tell me, "No! You shouldn't do that!" It kinda sucks.

Wow that's odd. Are these people all smokers? I'm not trying to quit but EVERYONE tells me that I should quit. Even the few smokers that I know would totally support the ones that are trying to quit. Then again most of the smokers I know wish they could quit also.
#510 Old 06-19-2010, 08:12 PM

My friend doesn't smoke. But my boyfriend does. See I totally thought that everyone would be on-board, and then I get these snickety little remarks and it's like, "Wow. That's a bummer."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page