The Stop Smoking Support Thread - Page 15 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#421 Old 12-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I made it a week! Well yesterday and only a drag or two but not more. Yippy!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 Old 12-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

remember that every time you take "a drag or two" you are feeding your addiction, making it stronger, keeping it alive. That is counter to your goal.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#423 Old 12-21-2008, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

remember that every time you take "a drag or two" you are feeding your addiction, making it stronger, keeping it alive. That is counter to your goal.

I just stopped it cold and never looked back. But I knew that is what would work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#424 Old 12-25-2008, 04:21 PM

I just quit smoking! 3 days and counting
#425 Old 12-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Two weeks!

I rock!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#426 Old 01-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Three weeks!

Marilyn Monroe
#427 Old 01-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi guys. I've posted in this thread before, but I'll recap since I don't want anyone to have to go reading through all the previous pages. I guess it's kind of the same thing I've said before, but maybe someone has been there and can help me.

I used to be a pack+ per day smoker, but I cut down drastically in April 2006. Since then, I've basically only smoked when I was either a) extremely upset, or b) out with smoker friends and couldn't resist. I'd guess that at this point, I maybe average 5-10 cigarettes a month.

I'll buy a pack, have 1-2 cigarettes, then get disgusted and throw away the pack. Or I'll bum a couple off a friend at a bar. I'm sure some of you get what I mean.

I'm proud of myself for how far I've come. A couple of years ago, I never would have believed that I'd be at this point! Most days, I don't smoke at all. But at the same time, I can't figure out how to kick this for good.

Right now, my husband (a nonsmoker) is away until Wednesday and I'm all alone in the house and really miss him. I want to smoke but I know how disappointed I'll be in myself if I do, so I'm posting here instead. I really wish I could kick the habit for good, but there are a few very specific situations where I just keep making bad decisions. Sometimes I don't even think about smoking for weeks or even months, and then I get into one of my trigger situations, have a few, and feel really bad about it. Then I repeat the cycle.

Does anyone have any advice? Did any of you go through this on your way to quitting for real?
#428 Old 01-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Beginner

Posting here or anywhere where you know you'll find support is a great, great thing to do. When I quit smoking in September, I looked at pictures of cancer-ridden lungs and stuff. Then I breathed deep and reminded myself that every breath I take without smoke is going to heal my lungs, since your lungs begin healing right away after smoking.

I also started running, because I wanted a measurable way to feel my lungs getting better. Do you have some sort of exercise you do? I know it's such a cop-out answer, "Just exercise more!" but it worked extremely well for me.

My husband and I quit together, but recently something really stressful happened. I chose to "deal with it" by climbing into bed with a Grisham novel and a bottle of wine. My husband went out and bought cigarettes. Even after saying he'd only smoke the one pack, he started buying more and more, and now he's back to smoking a pack a day. He lamented to me the other night that he needs to find a way to quit smoking that will "work."

I said, "The reason this didn't work is because you went and bought cigarettes."

The point is, no matter what you do, no matter what products or meditations or exercises you try, the only thing that will keep you from smoking is NOT SMOKING. Even if you cave and get in the car and head to the store, use that lovely drive to talk yourself out of it. Think of how nice the car smells now that you're not smoking in it. Think of how great it is not to have to wash your clothes after one wearing. Think of how proud your husband will be when he comes home and discovers that you stuck to it all weekend.

Stay away from your trigger situations, if possible. If you're bored, invite over a friend who doesn't smoke and hang out with them for a while. Play a video game, learn to knit, do something else with your hands. Take a bath, put together a puzzle, do ANYTHING but smoke. There are a zillion things you can do with your time, and smoking is only one of them.

Okay, I'm done rambling. Sorry for the disorganized post. Good luck!!
#429 Old 01-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellparadiso View Post

Posting here or anywhere where you know you'll find support is a great, great thing to do. When I quit smoking in September, I looked at pictures of cancer-ridden lungs and stuff. Then I breathed deep and reminded myself that every breath I take without smoke is going to heal my lungs, since your lungs begin healing right away after smoking.

I also started running, because I wanted a measurable way to feel my lungs getting better. Do you have some sort of exercise you do? I know it's such a cop-out answer, "Just exercise more!" but it worked extremely well for me.

My husband and I quit together, but recently something really stressful happened. I chose to "deal with it" by climbing into bed with a Grisham novel and a bottle of wine. My husband went out and bought cigarettes. Even after saying he'd only smoke the one pack, he started buying more and more, and now he's back to smoking a pack a day. He lamented to me the other night that he needs to find a way to quit smoking that will "work."

I said, "The reason this didn't work is because you went and bought cigarettes."

The point is, no matter what you do, no matter what products or meditations or exercises you try, the only thing that will keep you from smoking is NOT SMOKING. Even if you cave and get in the car and head to the store, use that lovely drive to talk yourself out of it. Think of how nice the car smells now that you're not smoking in it. Think of how great it is not to have to wash your clothes after one wearing. Think of how proud your husband will be when he comes home and discovers that you stuck to it all weekend.

Stay away from your trigger situations, if possible. If you're bored, invite over a friend who doesn't smoke and hang out with them for a while. Play a video game, learn to knit, do something else with your hands. Take a bath, put together a puzzle, do ANYTHING but smoke. There are a zillion things you can do with your time, and smoking is only one of them.

Great post! And congratulations on your quit!

I agree 100% with what you say, it's very much the same way I quit.

In actuality, I also quit in September (9/11/2003) and started running shortly afterwards too.

Glad to see activity in this thread again. Seeing people free themselves of the horrible habit always makes me happy.

Good luck to any/all of you who are quitting. As I've said 10090809809x in this thread before: You Can Do It!!
#430 Old 01-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Two "tricks" to quitting smoking:

1) Just don't smoke. ever. at all.

2) Read the book.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#431 Old 01-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellparadiso View Post

Thanks, this makes a LOT of sense actually. It's so simple really, isn't it? Just... don't smoke. I had a talk about this with my husband recently. I'm really going to try to stop -- really stop, not just smoke socially, smoke when I'm stressed, etc. If I really want to be free of this habit, I need to find other ways to deal with things that happen in life.
#432 Old 01-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

Thanks, this makes a LOT of sense actually. It's so simple really, isn't it? Just... don't smoke. I had a talk about this with my husband recently. I'm really going to try to stop -- really stop, not just smoke socially, smoke when I'm stressed, etc. If I really want to be free of this habit, I need to find other ways to deal with things that happen in life.

Exactly! And when you really think about it, having a cigarette never actually solved anything anyway, did it? Don't give it any credit. You're going to do great!
#433 Old 01-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:

how did you deal with life events before you smoked? i'm assuming you did cope, and didn't smoke from birth onwards.

when things get tricky, phone a friend and talk about those things. go for a long walk or a run or a swim or to the gym. get in the bathtub and splash about in the bubbles. write it all down in a diary then let it go. suck on carrot sticks. sing to the radio and vaccuum until you drop. confront the problem and deal with it. etc.

smoking on a problem doesn't fix the problem, it just gives you another bunch of problems (addiction, dramatically higher risk of cancer- cancer is kinda a big problem to sign up for!, smelling bad and having to stuff mints into your gob and spray yourself with spray all the flipping time, or having to put up with people going 'blargh!' when you linger near them, having to spend money and having to go out to buy cigarettes and mints and sprays, being tied down by an addiction, wrecking your teeth, etc).

if you want to stop smoking, don't try to stop, just do it. trying implies you might not succeed and is kinda half hearted and non-commital. like... i've been saying "i'll try and do laundry today" for a week now. its still in a pile on the floor. i could totally just go do it right now. instead of trying, take a deep breath, say "i'm not gonna do that again", mean it, and don't bloody well smoke any more. you can do it!
#434 Old 01-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

every time you smoke a cigarette, even just a puff, you are feeding the addiction, and keeping it alive. Every time you resist that urge, you are delivering another death blow to the addiction that has taken over your life for so long.

Die, Nicotine Monster, DIE!!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#435 Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

how did you deal with life events before you smoked? i'm assuming you did cope, and didn't smoke from birth onwards.

when things get tricky, phone a friend and talk about those things. go for a long walk or a run or a swim or to the gym. get in the bathtub and splash about in the bubbles. write it all down in a diary then let it go. suck on carrot sticks. sing to the radio and vaccuum until you drop. confront the problem and deal with it. etc.

smoking on a problem doesn't fix the problem, it just gives you another bunch of problems (addiction, dramatically higher risk of cancer- cancer is kinda a big problem to sign up for!, smelling bad and having to stuff mints into your gob and spray yourself with spray all the flipping time, or having to put up with people going 'blargh!' when you linger near them, having to spend money and having to go out to buy cigarettes and mints and sprays, being tied down by an addiction, wrecking your teeth, etc).

if you want to stop smoking, don't try to stop, just do it. trying implies you might not succeed and is kinda half hearted and non-commital. like... i've been saying "i'll try and do laundry today" for a week now. its still in a pile on the floor. i could totally just go do it right now. instead of trying, take a deep breath, say "i'm not gonna do that again", mean it, and don't bloody well smoke any more. you can do it!

You're right. I can.

Well, at this point I've been completely smoke free for about 72 hours... which is a big deal for me lately actually, as things had slipped to the point where I was having 1-2 cigarettes most days of the week at work. I've always heard if you can make it through the first 72 hours, you've beat the worst of the physical withdrawal, and that from there it's mostly mental.

I'm going to have to take situations as they come and choose not to smoke, no matter how frustrated I get, or whether I'm stressed or angry. And when I'm just in a good mood out at a bar with friends, and I'm thinking it doesn't matter if I have just one... I have to remember that it does. Because there is no such thing as "just one."

In my case, after I quit the first time, the addiction crept up on me again EVER so slowly. I very slowly, over the course of a year or two, went from not smoking at all, to having one every few months, to having one every few weeks, to having one every week or two, to having 1-2 almost every day. This is the point where I'm going to nip it in the bud, because I know where the next stop is. I refuse to go back to being a full-out smoker like I was back in 2006, smoking a pack to a pack and a half every single day again. There are SO many reasons I don't want to do that.

So thanks you guys... I may check in here again from time to time. I'm really determined that this is going to be it.
#436 Old 01-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Banned

good for you!
#437 Old 01-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I quit smoking two days ago and I really didn't plan to. I simply ran out of smokes and didn't feel like braving the cold to go out and buy more. Now that it's been a couple days though, I'm kinda digging the no-smoking thing so I guess I'll just keep it up.
#438 Old 01-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

every time you smoke a cigarette, even just a puff, you are feeding the addiction, and keeping it alive. Every time you resist that urge, you are delivering another death blow to the addiction that has taken over your life for so long.

Die, Nicotine Monster, DIE!!

yeah, I started smoking after not for two years and I really could kick myself ... I have been smoking a pack a week the last two weeks. I did it so I could calm down about a few things and then the schmidt kept coming . I used to smoke a pack a day sometimes more. I could smack myself. I don't even enjoy but I want to do it now... it is like all those little nicotine monsters are going yayyy "feed me , FEEED me.... oooooh FEED ME" now...

I know it was really stupid of me to do what I did and now I am going to have to quit again. I find it infuriating that my husband still smoked even though I quit then and now I am starting again and he hasn't really tried to stop me. He should have said... when he caught me three weeks ago
#439 Old 01-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Another day not smoking today. I told my husband last night that I was determined to stop for good this time. You guys know what he said? "I'll believe it when I see it." Way to be supportive! NOT! Still, I'm not going to let that discourage me. If anything, it's additional motivation to know that he doesn't believe I can do it. I want to prove him wrong.
#440 Old 01-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Beginner

It can be done even without support though that makes it much harder.
#441 Old 01-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess78 View Post

It can be done even without support though that makes it much harder.

another way of looking at that is if you do it all by yourself, relying entirely on yourself for the strength you use to obtain your goal, the victory is yours alone, and you own it all. -its 100% yours.

....and then so is the victory dessert with which you celebrate your triumph.
#442 Old 02-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

On day 10 of not smoking
#443 Old 02-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

On day 10 of not smoking

Way to go! You're out of the woods and well on your way to freedom.
#444 Old 02-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

thanks brandon

Day 12 today. I was very tempted this morning after I got off the phone with a client who really annoyed me, but I did not smoke. I was not going to ruin a 12-day streak. I just took a deep breath, took a few moments to calm myself, and dealt substantively with the client's issue.
#445 Old 02-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

^^ That's what it's all about.

One issue at a time, one day at a time. Before you know it, that 12 day streak will be a 120 day streak. And so on.
#446 Old 02-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Ankle Biter

Quote:

thanks brandon

Day 12 today. I was very tempted this morning after I got off the phone with a client who really annoyed me, but I did not smoke. I was not going to ruin a 12-day streak. I just took a deep breath, took a few moments to calm myself, and dealt substantively with the client's issue.

Congratulations!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#447 Old 03-14-2009, 04:39 PM

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and need your help. I set a quit date and quit on Jan 31. However since then I have slipped I am now smoking every few days, maybe 2. Then today I went a bought a pack. I had been to my daughters and she really got to me with her criticism and I just wanted to smoke. Now I am really beating myself up about it. I feel weak and stupid and just plain terrible. I have been going days and weeks without smoking, then started smoking maybe every few days but just a couple. The thing is I think about smoking all the time. I like not smoking. I smell better, feel better, and I do not want to amoke, more so that I do not want to want to smoke. This is so hard. I read the online book by Alan Carr but have not got my mind to the point that I do not feel like I am missing omething. I know he says to keep smoking till you get it, but smoking makes me feel so guilty and I am really beating myself up for being weak. I know I am rambling but I hope someone can empathise with me on this and maybe give me some advice. Thanks

Verenda
#448 Old 03-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenda View Post

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and need your help. I set a quit date and quit on Jan 31. However since then I have slipped I am now smoking every few days, maybe 2. Then today I went a bought a pack. I had been to my daughters and she really got to me with her criticism and I just wanted to smoke. Now I am really beating myself up about it. I feel weak and stupid and just plain terrible. I have been going days and weeks without smoking, then started smoking maybe every few days but just a couple. The thing is I think about smoking all the time. I like not smoking. I smell better, feel better, and I do not want to amoke, more so that I do not want to want to smoke. This is so hard. I read the online book by Alan Carr but have not got my mind to the point that I do not feel like I am missing omething. I know he says to keep smoking till you get it, but smoking makes me feel so guilty and I am really beating myself up for being weak. I know I am rambling but I hope someone can empathise with me on this and maybe give me some advice. Thanks

Verenda

chuck those cigarettes away. and your lighters. and your ashtrays. every time you get the impulse to smoke remind yourself what you hate about it, and don't give in.
#449 Old 03-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

and read the book again. and again.

If you really want to quit, you'll take the steps that will ensure your success. If quitting isn't really a priority, then you won't.

You are the one in control. It was you who chose to smoke. It will be you who choses not to smoke.

Decision is the ultimate power.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#450 Old 03-15-2009, 02:20 AM

I quit two years ago and i could easily smoke a ciggie now. I wont but the feeling is there. Not intense like giving up but about.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page