Ah, caffeine! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-31-2005, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

So I've been cutting down A LOT on coffee and tea for the past week or so. No espresso in the evening, just a small cup of coffee in the morning.

I've now realized that the miraculous effects of caffeine have now returned. Complete with shaking hands and racing heart. Go me.

I could never give it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-31-2005, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I had the same thing when I went back on the sauce. Two cups of java and I was shaking, faster heartbeat... I said, WOAH NELLY. Hehe. Coffee is delicious, I could never live without it forever.
#3 Old 03-31-2005, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm trying to reduce again.

I want to get back at one cup in the morning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-31-2005, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a teacher who said he used to drink a gallon and a half of coffee throught the day during work days then Sunday night he would shake horribly and get a nasty headache. When he figured out what was causing it he switched to decaff.

The reason it came up was because that day he accidently got regular. He ran in and was like "I feel so AAALIIIIVE!!!".
#5 Old 03-31-2005, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to have to start cutting back on a regular basis. The actual sensation of being more alert is quite addicting.
#6 Old 03-31-2005, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Reading that coffee intake, well cafeine, can have a bad influence on your vitamin absorbsion, made me more motivated to change my habit.

Besides that, we don't have fair trade coffee at work

I do at home
#7 Old 03-31-2005, 09:04 PM

Caffeine is really, really bad for you. I used to live on Coke but I started getting debilitating stomach cramps and the doctor told me that I must get off of caffeine because it was seriously damaging my stomach. I went through about a week of really bad withdrawl - nausea, shaking, sweating, headaches ... it was awful (worse than when I stopped taking Paxil), but it was worth it. I feel so much better now. If I have any caffeine now I get sick for days.
#8 Old 03-31-2005, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Caffeine is really, really bad for you.

I'll pretend I didn't hear that.
#9 Old 03-31-2005, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

There are some good things about caffeine. It may help prevent Parkinson's disease, and they use it on preemies for breathing difficulties.

Caffeine in moderation won't kill anyone. However, *I* may kill someone if I don't get my daily fix.
#10 Old 04-01-2005, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbledorium View Post

Caffeine is really, really bad for you.

who said that?

every study i've ever read says the same thing over and over again: caffeine consumption (at least in the form of coffee) is overwhelmingly good for you.

maybe it does wonky things for you, but that doesn't make it generally bad.
#11 Old 04-01-2005, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.fredericpatenaude.com/cof...ml#restarticle

Quote:
- Caffeine can't provide energy, only chemical stimulation and induced emergency state that can lead to irritability, mood swings, and panic attacks.

- Caffeine's ultimate mood effect can be letdown, which can lead to depression and chronic fatigue.

- Caffeine gives the illusion of heightened alertness by dilating pupils, quickening heart rate, and raising blood pressure. In fact, caffeine does not increase overall mental activity.

http://www.mercola.com/2003/dec/10/coffee.htm

Quote:
It appears that drinking coffee may interfere with your body's ability to keep homocysteine and cholesterol levels in check, most likely by inhibiting the action of the vitamins folate, B12 or B6. Coffee has been previously associated with increased risk of stroke and rheumatoid arthritis. Studies have also shown that caffeine in coffee can raise blood pressure and levels of stress hormones, and if consumed in large quantities it can lead to heart palpitations, jitters and nervousness.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~4david/caffeine.html

Quote:
Long-term effects of a toxic nature do not appear evident when regular caffeine use is below about 650 mg a day - equivalent to about eight or nine average cups of coffee. Above this level, users may suffer from chronic insomnia, persistent anxiety and depression, and stomach ulcers. Caffeine use appears to be associated with irregular heartbeat and may raise cholesterol levels, but there is no firm evidence that caffeine causes heart disease.

The evidence is also unclear concerning caffeine and cancer. Caffeine and some of its metabolites can cause changes in the cells of the body and in the way in which they reproduce themselves, and caffeine certainly enhances this kind of action by some known carcinogens. However, although caffeine is suspected as a cause of cancer, the evidence is contradictory and does not allow a clear conclusion. Some animal studies suggest that caffeine can have anti-cancer properties. For example, in rats it prevents breast cancer caused by diethylstilbestrol (the "morning after" pill).

Caffeine certainly has the ability to cause a variety of reproductive effects in animals, including congenital abnormalities and reproductive failures, reduced fertility, prematurity, and low birth weight. What is unknown is whether these findings are relevant to the use of ordinary amounts of caffeine-containing beverages by pregnant women. Pregnant women have been advised to restrict caffeine intake by both Canadian and United States governments. Pregnant smokers should be especially wary.

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~pa34/cause.htm

Quote:
Scientists in Denmark found that pregnant women who drink eight or more cups of coffee a day run more than twice the risk of stillbirth compared with women who do not drink coffee.

#12 Old 04-01-2005, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I suppose I'll die happy.
#13 Old 04-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

and that's only the coffee....

most people drink it with sugar.....
#14 Old 04-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
and if consumed in large quantities it can lead to heart palpitations, jitters and nervousness.

Who would have thought...
#15 Old 04-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
most people drink it with sugar.....

I sweeten my coffee with chocolate Silk.

...and stevia.
#16 Old 04-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

eewww...coffee with chocolate flavour......

if I wanna taste chocolate, I'll eat chocolate.....

I like my coffee straight (with sugar)
#17 Old 04-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
eewww...coffee with chocolate flavour......

You're crazy. It's hard to cover up the bitter taste of coffee otherwise. I make it strong.
#18 Old 04-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Putting sugar in coffee makes me want to vomit.
#19 Old 04-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

coffee without sugar get's me shivers down my spine.

And I drink strong coffee too, when I make it myself.

Some how the office coffee feels "thinner" ?
#20 Old 04-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Coffee contains a lot of nicotinamid and so drinking lots of coffee might be a supply of a vitamin, but I guess that's where the health portion ends. I drink quite a lot of coffee when I work, because it's always available. And I drink my coffee black and cold. Reminds me of a Gary Larson cartoon. People are in hell with flames all around and someone says: >>Rats, they thought of everything, the coffee is cold!<<

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#21 Old 04-01-2005, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Black coffee is ONLY good when it's iced. Otherwise, it's horrid.
#22 Old 04-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree!

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#23 Old 04-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.heinebroscoffee.com/coffeehealth.htm

Caffeine has long been known to help asthmatics and many have found regular consumption of coffee to assist in moderating attacks

evidence for a protective effect of coffee against the development of colon or colorectal cancers

http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/...m?pagenumber=1

At least six studies indicate that people who drink coffee on a regular basis are up to 80% less likely to develop Parkinson's, with three showing the more they drink, the lower the risk. Other research shows that compared to not drinking coffee, at least two cups daily can translate to a 25% reduced risk of colon cancer, an 80% drop in liver cirrhosis risk, and nearly half the risk of gallstones.

downing one to three cups of caffeinated coffee daily can reduce diabetes risk by single digits. But having six cups or more each day slashed men's risk by 54% and women's by 30% over java avoiders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page