How Soon Will I Feel Better? (Depression & Diet) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2005, 03:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm trying to follow advice given in another thread about eating better. I'm doing ok, adding veggies, fruits & nuts, quitting coffee, eating flax seeds, etc. but I am wondering how soon I should see results?

It's only been about a week.

I'm still missing the exercise part of the equation because it's very cold & icy outside & I can't afford to join a gym. But I have been walking more outdoors.

Yesterday I ate extremely healthy: cream of wheat w/ apple, walnuts & flax & blackstrap molasses for breakfast w/ coffee substitute, a veggie dog on a spelt bun w/ salsa & clover sprouts for lunch, a green drink, & a cabbage/red pepper/mushroom/tempeh stirfry on kamut noodles for dinner.

But I felt horrible. I spent a lot of time in bed thinking about cutting myself.

How soon should I feel better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2005, 08:36 AM

Hi Organica,

Sorry to hear you're feeling so bad, and I'm sure the weather doesn't help. I know that when I eat better, I feel better, and I've been feeling a lot more "grounded" or stable since I started taking B12. But if you've got serious depression, just eating well is probably not enough. I don't know if you're seeing a counsellor or anything (can be hard with little $$), but I think that's important. This year for the first time I found a counsellor who is actually helpful, and it's been great. I know that when I was in high school I got to see someone for free through the Health department in New Brunswick, I would guess that NS has a similar program. The eating better is really good, I find that just the fact that you're caring for yourself is helpful, but it's probably not going to turn everything around by itself. Also, a week is a pretty short time.

take care of yourself. and your meal choices yesterday sounded awesome.
#3 Old 01-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks laurajean!! I have a wonderful counsellor & he's helping somewhat, but I have longstanding problems.

I was hoping diet would help faster. I know it's a lot to ask.

I started taking a multivitamin last week too.

I have a sliding scale homeopath who is seeing me this Friday & my hopes are that she can produce a sudden improvement such as I haven't had yet.

Thank you very much for your kind post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry to hear you are depressed Organica! What's causing all this distress? And next time you sit down to a delicious healthy meal, think about all the good nutrients you are putting into your body! Nutrition is yummy.
#5 Old 01-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

diet and exercise does help--because it gives your body something to work with when trying to make things better, mentally.

again, i want to mention that there is a strong connection between depression and cholesterol levels. You may need higher cholesterol than a vegan web site says, and you may need to get it from an external source (as i do). This may be an aspect of diet that will help you more quickly. good sources of cholesterol include eggs and full-fat raw dairy.

that being said, diet is not the cure. YOu also have to do the rest of the work. You'll use your medications, you'll work your therapy, you'll do everything humanly possible to do the work that you need to do. eventually, you'll find your way out of the process of depression. it's hard work and it takes a long time--but you have to devote yourself to the process of change.

BTW, looks like you had a good day with your diet. those read like some yummy foods!
#6 Old 01-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks. I am trying hard to eat better in the hopes that things will improve.

Today I had a Clif bar, organic tea & soy, & sprouted bread slices w/ tofu scramble. Gotta eat vegetables when I get home.

Zoebird, I don't know if lack of cholesterol is the problem because my diet was so bad that it was lacking everything except sugar & caffeine & bad fats. (It was mostly vegan, however). I'm not ready to give up on being vegan yet.

I am going to therapy today. I do work @ it, & take my medication, but I am frustrated as this has been going on for over a decade & keeps me from supporting myself emotionally or economically.

I am really, really desperate for the homeopath to fix me, because I know that I can't see myself living a long life feeling the way I do. It's the worst feeling in the world.
#7 Old 01-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

i understand that it's really tough--no question.

part of my initial concern related to your diet was just about basic calories and nutrition to start with. you weren't getting enough of *anything* so you can't really know if it's a cholesterol issue or not yet. But, you will know, and i want you to know that it's an option and that it's ok if you do have to start including them again.

i know that it's not easy to do this work, and it may be that you are goign to be working on this at some level for a long time to come. It won't be forever; but all of it will take more than a few weeks, or a few months. It's been a long-time process of depression for you--so don't expect something that's taken a decade to get entrenched to take a few weeks to go away. it'll also be a while before you notice differences from your diet and lifestyle. It may be months, even. So, i don't expect much too quickly. Anything worth doing right takes time and patience.
#8 Old 01-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Organica, do you know what caused the depression or did it just happen at random?
#9 Old 01-18-2005, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessKerouac View Post

Organica, do you know what caused the depression or did it just happen at random?

Borderline Personality Disorder, probably related to genes &/or child abuse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page