Itchy eyes after going vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-11-2005, 10:38 PM

This can't be just a coincidence, but I've been vegan for almost two months now. After about a month of going full vegan, I got a cold. I haven't had a cold in years. And now, my eyes itch incredibly. Also, the top of my mouth itches. It also seems like I still have this cold lingering on, almost a month later. The only thing I've changed is my diet, so it all points to that.

However, I'm taking a multivitamin and have a really balanced and very good diet. Lots of vegetables and fruits. Plenty of protein and enough calories and fat. Itchy eyes might be caused by lack of Riboflavin (vitamin b2), but my multivitamin should take care of that, on top of what I already eat.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-11-2005, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you use iodized salt? Do you eat any sea veggies?

Remember that when transitioning to a new diet and eliminating toxins from your system, the cleansing that takes place can seem like an illness.
#3 Old 01-11-2005, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never heard of this before. Have you changed any of your personal care products? If you switched any makeup product, or even a facial lotion or cleanser, that could be the problem, or a new hair product, or perfume. Have you started eating any new foods? Are itchy eyes and mouth the only symptoms? Itchy ears at all? Mabye you have a weak allergy to one of the new foods you're eating. Have you moved? A change of location can introduce you to new allergens. Get a new pet? I know if you have a dust or animal allergy, you may have other symptoms also, but not neccesarily.I have a lot of air-born allergies, and my eyes and/or ears will itch when I have no other symptoms. Allergies can develop out of nowhere, too. Has the climate/temperature changed dramatically within the past 2 months where you live? I know when I'm in a building with very dry heat my eyes go nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds like allergies to me.

<-------chronic allergy sufferer
#5 Old 01-11-2005, 11:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I am really uninformed, but could it be a vitamin A deficiency?
#6 Old 01-12-2005, 12:11 AM

Are you eating in new foods/foods in greater quantities? Could be an allergy there, too.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 01-12-2005, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post

Remember that when transitioning to a new diet and eliminating toxins from your system, the cleansing that takes place can seem like an illness.

Exactly what I was going to say. I started a detox on 1/1. By about 1/3 or 1/4, my eyes had so much stuff comming out of them. And they were red, you'd thought I was smoking.My nose had all kinds of gunk comming out of it and I was coughing up yuk left and right. Lasted about 3 days. Now my sinus's feel like a million bucks. But, I felt like I had a really bad cold before it straightened out.

I bet you are feeling the effects of detox.
#8 Old 01-12-2005, 08:28 AM

I'm sure the multivitamin I got includes iodine. I was thinking it was kind of a detox, probably trying to get the left over mucous out of my system from all those years of eating cheese and drinking milk. It just seems like this is being drawn out.
#9 Old 01-12-2005, 08:35 AM

Thanks for all the posts. I'm sure it's some kind of either alergy or detox. The only thing that's changed here is the weather. It's been rainy and wet. But other than that, I haven't changed any personal hygiene or clothes or anything. Most of the food is stuff that I ate before, maybe now in a little more quantity. One thing, I noticed today that the middle of my eyes are completely red when I wake up in the morning. I think I'll go to a Dr. and get an allergy test. Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it!
#10 Old 01-12-2005, 08:59 AM

My allergies change with the weather. It's also possible that you are getting an eye infection that's not related to your veganism.
#11 Old 01-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

could be that your eyes are dry too--not enough water, not enough tears. perhaps a good cry might help, without rubbing eyes.

another option, tratak style meditation. It's candle gazing. you light a candle and place it on a table at eye level. You sit in comfortable meditation pose. You gaze at the candle, without blinking until your eyes begin to water. you allow the eyes to tear and for tears to fall. after you get one tear from each eye, then you close your eyes and notice the flame that is in your 'third eye' or 'minds eye.'

this form of meditation is said to keep you youthful looking, with a young, flexible mind. it's also a great way to 'cleanse' the eyes.
#12 Old 01-12-2005, 07:54 PM

I've got allergies to several foods like apples and raw nuts like peanuts and walnuts. If I cut up an apple and touch anywhere near my eyes they will swell up and start running and getting itchy.

Maybe you should be careful to wash your hands after preparing meals. Remember that many plants including many that we eat are either poisonous or have poisonous parts such as skins or seeds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page