Allergy to scents - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I've always been very sensitive to certain scents of perfume but in the last six months, this sensitivity has escalated so much that now I have to buy non-scented products such as laundry detergent and makeup. If I even catch a whiff of scent, I start to cough uncontrollably and my throat closes up and twice I've . It got so bad when I was home for the holidays that I went to a clinic and they gave me a puffer to open my airways. The plane ride back home was awful because it was a morning flight and everyone on the plane was fresh out of the shower and were all perfumey. Usually that's a good thing! This 'allergy' is making it very difficult for me to do my job, which is customer service oriented. I'm also staying home a lot more because I'm afraid I'll start to choke from someone's perfume if I'm eating in a restaurant or at a movie. It's like I'm a prisoner of my nose!!

I have two questions:

1) Does anybody else have this particular sensitivity or know someone who does and if so, how do you/they handle it?

2) Are there any unscented, cruelty-free products that you can recommend? I'm looking for anything from moisturizer to soap to shampoo. Even taking a shower can be bothersome and even if my throat doesn't close up, I end up with the worst headache.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm sorry i can't answer your questions, but i do have one for you

are you that sensetive to all smells or just some ?

a often get headaches from strong perfumes but that's about it, who knows, it might get worse
#3 Old 12-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Aveeno makes some good unscented body wash and lotion, but I don't know if its vegan...

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-26-2004, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

i'm sorry i can't answer your questions, but i do have one for you

are you that sensetive to all smells or just some ?

a often get headaches from strong perfumes but that's about it, who knows, it might get worse

It started when I was a teenager and I became overly sensitive to most perfumes and I'd get a headache. Now it seems to be only man made fragrances and scents that bother me....perfume, after shave, scented detergent, soap, air freshener, scented candles, cleaners, etc. Natural scents like fresh flowers, freshly cut grass and bonfires don't bother me at all. I hope for your sake that your sensitivity to scents doesn't get worse. I find that some people don't believe me or think I'm being too dramatic when I smell something and my throat starts to close so I try really hard to be low key about it but even tonight, when I went to rent a movie, the guy behind the counter had on some cologne and I literally had to pull my scarf over my mouth and nose while he was ringing it up. He must have thought I was a nutcase or maybe that I was going to rob the store!!

Rabid.....I have Aveeno moisturizer but it has a citrusy scent and it's also made by Johnson & Johnson who I thought tested on animals. That was quite a few years ago so maybe they've changed their practices?
#5 Old 12-26-2004, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom has reactions like that. She just suffers.
#6 Old 12-26-2004, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Arbonne's skin care and cosmetic products do not contain man-made fragrances. All scents come from botanicals and essential oils. Most products are very lightly scented - barely a scent at all.

The best part is that VB members get a 20% discount with me
#7 Old 12-26-2004, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, and if you're looking for cleaning products, check out www.envirorite.com

Their cleaning products work the best out of all the natural products I've tried. Perfect for someone with allergies/sensitivities. I met the owners at the Living Green Expo a while back and they were great people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page