Cancer-Causing Substances in Curry Powder?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-03-2020, 09:44 AM

Cancer-Causing Substances in Curry Powder??

I went to the local Asian grocer a little while ago, and when I picked up a jar of curry powder, there was a notice printed on the lid or somewhere around it saying that there were chemicals inside that, with high enough digestion, could lead to cancer.

Should I be concerned? Is there a specific amount of this curry powder to keep in mind when cooking recipes that have curry in it? As in, an amount of the powder I shouldn't go over?

It didn't specifically say what was inside that could cause cancer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2020, 09:30 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jek the Immortal View Post
I went to the local Asian grocer a little while ago, and when I picked up a jar of curry powder, there was a notice printed on the lid or somewhere around it saying that there were chemicals inside that, with high enough digestion, could lead to cancer.

Should I be concerned? Is there a specific amount of this curry powder to keep in mind when cooking recipes that have curry in it? As in, an amount of the powder I shouldn't go over?

It didn't specifically say what was inside that could cause cancer.

Could you post a photo of the label?

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 06-16-2020, 11:23 AM

It might be the turmeric, since a study found that 7 of 9 samples of turmeric in India had been adulterated with lead (Pb on the periodic table, also called plumbum) in order to make the yellow color more vibrant. If you are rich, you could send it to a lab and have them analyze it in the parts-per-billion range. The parts-per-million range isn't good enough for ingestibles, so you can't send it to Tamara Rubin of Lead Safe Mama and have her use her Niton XRF machine on it, because it's rare for ingestibles to be in the ppm range for lead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-16-2020, 06:54 PM
Vegan since 1991

Please provide link to this study.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#5 Old 06-17-2020, 01:15 AM

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...13935119305195

Oops, it was Bangladesh, not India. But who knows; maybe in India it is the same situation; I don't know.
#6 Old 06-17-2020, 10:07 AM

Actually, I know remember reading on the Lead Safe Mama website that lead isn't a carcinogen, but it is a neurotoxin.
#7 Old 06-18-2020, 07:36 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200616_130916.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	16386

Last edited by Jek the Immortal; 06-18-2020 at 08:11 PM. Reason: displaying a picture
#8 Old 06-21-2020, 09:19 AM

LOL, I think he meant he wants you to post a pic of the ingredients list:

"Spice blends were found to be in use almost 4000 years ago, with key ingredients like ginger, garlic, and turmeric, during the days of Indus Valley Civilization.[1]
Curry powder and the contemporary English use of the word "curry" are Western inventions and do not reflect any specific food from the Indian subcontinent, though a similar mixture of spices used in the Northern regions of the Indian subcontinent is called garam masala."

-Wikipedia article "Curry powder"
#9 Old 06-25-2020, 11:29 AM

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200625_132413.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	16388

Tags
curry , curry powder , health concerns

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page