Not smoking hour#2 woo hoo - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-18-2004, 04:16 AM
Beginner

Ok... It's been a whole 2 hours since I smashed my half pack of yummy marlboro lights in a box that I gladly pay $3.55 a pack for, once or twice a day... And I already miss them... I have been smoking a pack a day for 6 years now... And I'm pissed... I'm pissed at tobacco companies, the government, and Jessie and nick in third grade who got me started on this thing (that was many many years ago and not counted in the pack a day lol)...

I have quit before... I used Welbutrin for one week (spelling) then the patch for ONE DAY... and I never had a craving again... Until i went to the bar, then i had a few and started back up.

OK SO ANYWAY... Anyone please... Know of anything that will help this whole withdrawl thing go faster? Like drinking honey and dog urine? ANYTHING... please help... I can't afford the Dr's visit and the money for the welbutrin again as I do'nt have insurance right now... email me [email protected] that will be faster than replying to this thread.

Wish me luck! woooo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-18-2004, 05:14 AM
Jes
Veggie Regular

Here's the secret.

Just don't smoke the effing things.

I was a two pack a day smoker for 15 years and I quit in June and that's pretty much what I did. Remember, the craving is gonna go away whether or not you smoke. It sucks, it is terrible, but it does get better. Within a few days, you are gonna feel great!
#3 Old 10-18-2004, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

$3.55 a pack? holy crap. Where do you live and how many are in a pack? A pack in Manitoba is about $11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Tobacco companies in the US still receive subsidies from the government... the gov't puts on a good show of taxing them and fining them... but then they turn around and make it easy for them to get millions of people hooked on one of the most dangerous (and legal!) drugs around...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#5 Old 10-18-2004, 05:49 PM

LOL @ $11 a pack. Down here on Tobacco Road first quality name brand packs (Marlboro, Winston, Camel, Salem, Kool, etc.) can regularly be bought for $2.25 or less on sale. I had a friend down here from up in Bahstun over Labor Day who almost keeled over when they saw Marlboro cartons on sale in a convenience store for $18.49. He bought 6 or 7 cartons just because they were so cheap to take to his secretarys.
#6 Old 10-18-2004, 10:54 PM

lol @ Jes' secret

^5 badrash...you can do it!

<<<channeling her inner motivational speaker, heh

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 10-18-2004, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

As a former smoker who quit with the patch AND Wellbutrin, I don't have a lot of room to advise. But, after smoking for 20 years, I had cravings, even with all the extras to take the edge off. Here's what helped me:

Drink lots of water or herbal tea. It will help flush out your system, and it gives you something to do with your hands and your mouth.

Do not use caffeine or alcohol, not even a little.

Try to stay away from sugar. It's tempting to substitute hard candies or some other type of candy for the cigarettes, but when you get done eating the candy, the craving just comes back, only stronger because you're getting amped on sugar. So you end up eating more and more and more candy, and the cravings get tougher and tougher -- viscious cycle.

Personally, I'd eat ultra-low fat for at least 4 or 5 days. I did the McDougall Diet when I quit smoking because you can eat almost constantly without feeling bloated. Eating 5,000 baby carrots a day gives you something to to with your hands that doesn't give you a sugar high.

Breathe. When a craving hits, take long, slow deep breaths. It will make it seem like the craving doesn't last as long.

Be patient. When you quit cold turkey, it takes 4 days for the worst of the physical addiction to wear off. After the fourth day, it gets a lot easier.

Finally, if you fail, forgive yourself, recognize the trigger that led you to fail, and try again doing your best to avoid that trigger next time.
#8 Old 10-18-2004, 11:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I wish you the best of luck. !!

My sister's now homeless because of cigarrettes. (I exagerate a little of course). Their utilities were shut off and they had to move out because of unpaid bills and no heat or electricity, yet they were spending $8/day on cigarrettes. $8 x 30 = $240, would have kept their bills paid, electricity and heat on, and maybe they wouldn't have lost the apartment.
#9 Old 10-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Beginner

Here's my home remedy. Every time you want a cig, smell the clothes you wore to the bar...gross. I can't believe I smelled that bad for seven years.
#10 Old 10-22-2004, 07:23 PM
Beginner

Thank you to everyone! Day 4 and still not a puff... You never realize how your day revolves around smoking... I don't smoke in my house or in my car so that helps a bit, though it prevents me from going outside to read... Because that's when I chain smoke on after another not realizing it while wrapped up in a good book.

Thanks for all the hints :-D I have been drinking tons of water (something I NEVER do, because I drink diet coke instead ) thus far... It hasn't been AS BAD as I thought it would... But what I would do to just have a puff.

I can't talk about this anymore, making me CRAVE.... thanks everyone...

peace!
#11 Old 10-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Beginner

and on disgusting tip i found on another site... taken buts and put them in a jar, when you want a smoke... Just look at it and then you'll see what your lungs (sorta) look like. And if that doesn't help, take a whiff and that's what your lungs smell like.

WOW does that help (and make your head spin a bit).
#12 Old 10-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

congratulations, badrash. and keep up the good work. i have been an on-and-off smoker for 16 years (up to a pack and a half a day at times) and am currently "off", hoping to never return. just the thought of having to quit again is enough to keep me away from the stinking things. even on my hardest day.

if you feel like you might be tempted, i hear good things about the nicorette inhaler. apparently it feels quit similar to smoking and gives you small doses of nicotine to help take the edge off your cravings. of course, then you have to quit the inhaler later...so maybe cold turkey is best for you.
#13 Old 10-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I've never smoked so I can't say first-hand, but what *I* would do is every time I had a craving for a smoke, go and count dollar by dollar how much money I had saved so far by not buying them.
#14 Old 10-23-2004, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

im 16 so, of course, i still live with my parents who are HEAVY smokers. expecially my dad.

my parents are always telling me not to smoke, not drink, and all that stuff. they most often tell me not to smoke, becuase they do it so much, and i guess from personal experience they knwo how bad it is.

i thought i would give a little background info before i stated my question.

if they keep on telling me how i shouldnt do it, that would make you think that they realize that its really bad for them, and theyre wasting a LOT of money on it. so why dotn they quit?

i know its hard to quit, but theyhavnt even tried! ever!

my mom got sick this one time, and had to go to the hospital for about a week,. during htat week, and a week after that, while she was recovering she didnt smoke at all. i guess being that sick made her body numb to the craving or soemthing.

anyway, i was hoping you could help me understand whats going through their heads. they obiously realize its a mistake that tehy even started, but they have NEVER tried to quit. they never brought patches. never even seemed interested in those comercials on tv for smoke-away, and other aids for quitting.

do they not actually think its horrible and thats why they dont want to quit. or what? im really confused.

by the way, when my mom didnt smoke at all for those two weeks, she seemed happy about it.

i wouldnt be writing this if my parents had treid to quit before. but, like i said, they havn't.

am i missing something?
#15 Old 10-23-2004, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, you're missing how insidious and evil tobacco is... it becomes your everything, your comfort, your love, your peace, your salvation...

it's been almost 5 years since I quit, and I'm still tempted... I've even had a couple cigs in the last couple months, and I can't believe I would even consider doing that!!! I don't want to be a smoker again, and I certainly don't want to go thru quitting again!! yet there I go...

*repeats to self... I'm a non-smoker, I'm a non-smoker, I'm a non-smoker, I'm a non-smoker, I'm a non-smoker, I'm a non-smoker.......*

Nec Aspera Terrent
#16 Old 10-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Good job. My new years rez is to quit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page