Brushing teeth - What do you use/not use? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-06-2018, 11:28 AM

Brushing teeth - What do you use/not use?

Hey guys, for the past 1.5 years I have been brushing my teeth with a soft brush, no toothpaste, and rinse my mouth with water after each meal.

3 dentists checked my teeth, and they said everything looks good.

I also researched, and all articles basically said it is not what is on the brush, but the brush itself.

Also, I wasn't a fan of the average toothpaste, tastes like sweet burning poison, and I heard the fluoride use is synthetic and nothing like the fluoride find in organic rivers and streams.

What's your take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-04-2018, 07:19 PM

To be honest, I agree with the articles. Having a better toothbrush is beneficial to helping brush out the bacteria in hard to reach places. As long as you brush your teeth 3 times a day and rinse out, you'll be good to go.
#3 Old 02-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidyLittlePea View Post
Hey guys, for the past 1.5 years I have been brushing my teeth with a soft brush, no toothpaste, and rinse my mouth with water after each meal.

3 dentists checked my teeth, and they said everything looks good.

I also researched, and all articles basically said it is not what is on the brush, but the brush itself.

It's great to hear that you are having good results with this!

Could you provide links to the articles?

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-04-2018, 08:27 PM
Impeach the gangster

I store my toothbrush inside a bottle of alcohol, so it's basically germ-free. When I take it out, all I have to do is rinse it with clear water to remove the alcohol. Sometimes, I sprinkle the bristles with some baking soda and a little salt.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#5 Old 02-05-2018, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

I need to add that dental problems are largely based on genetics.
My dentist has advised me to keep away from baking soda as well as peppermint oils- the very things my organic toothpaste, as well as my homemade stuff were made of. My teeth are very soft, bones are fine, teeth soft

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 04-30-2018, 01:05 AM

So it just means that I suck at brushing my teeth and I need to get better at it.
#7 Old 08-01-2018, 01:59 AM

My toothbrush is medium and moreover I use a dental floss.

Great thing! Recommend.
#8 Old 08-16-2018, 04:31 PM

Well, thats great. Actually, i have been using toothpaste for a long time and now sometimes i feel burning sensation in my mouth after brushing and find my mouth something like reddish in color. Is everything ok or should i consult with my doctor?
#9 Old 08-17-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harne89 View Post
Well, thats great. Actually, i have been using toothpaste for a long time and now sometimes i feel burning sensation in my mouth after brushing and find my mouth something like reddish in color. Is everything ok or should i consult with my doctor?
Of course you need to visit a doctor!
I had the same problem once, when I've tried to change my toothpaste. I ended up with stomatitis.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir
#10 Old 08-21-2018, 08:49 PM

I use Tom's, and a soft baby toothbrush since I have sensory issues. But hey, do what works for you. ^_^
#11 Old 08-27-2018, 07:52 AM

Wink

I use organic charcoal toothpaste by Virginic and it has a great affect, do not need to go to dentist for whitening them, only for care purposes
I think the toothpaste is more for smell purposes then actually cleaning.. so I don't want have a bad smell, especially in the morning
#12 Old 10-08-2018, 01:05 AM

Teeth brightening has turned into a vital advance in each person's prepping procedure, in all actuality, teeth brightening is a totally protected, life improving procedure that can have constructive an impact on both your physical appearance and your mental wellbeing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 12-05-2020, 12:53 PM

I really hate the morning breath thing, so I brush my teeth and rinse twice, one after another in the morning. I then brush again if I am going out at all, and usually sometime in the evening. It can be 2-5 times a day, and I always use Listerine mouthwash after I brush. Last time I was doing some type of dental bonding, my dentist said, "wow your teeth look great as usual. Im glad to see you are brushing and flossing twice a day" I just nod my thanks. Though I never floss
#14 Old 12-10-2020, 02:58 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I use a commercial toothpaste (I grew up with Colgate, but I've used different brands). Sometimes I just brush with a wet toothbrush- no paste. My dentist advised me to use a brush with soft bristles and not be too rough brushing my teeth: be gentle and brush away from the gumline toward the biting surface of the teeth.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page