• 1 Post By reikistar
  • 1 Post By reikistar
  • 3 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By reikistar
  • 1 Post By healthtips13
  • 1 Post By Emma JC

#1 Old 06-02-2017, 08:17 AM

Unhappy Specific Diet, No Idea What To Eat

I went vegetarian nearly 4 years ago to help with cholesterol and high blood pressure issues; I resolved the cholesterol issues but my high blood pressure persists.
My doctor is now requiring me to follow a 'low carb, low sugar, low salt' diet after my AC1 levels showed higher than she wanted. I'm not pre-diabetic but how she worded it made me believe I may be close to it.
When I switched to a meat-free lifestyle, I relied heavily on meat substitutes(( seriously, veggie sausage with pancakes for breakfast, soy chicken wrap for lunch and a veggie burger for dinner was typical for me)) but recently I've cut them out to only having 1 pack in my freezer for a back up, so hopefully that cut out a lot of salt. Though, I'm at a loss of what to plan for my meals now. I was thinking of soups and salads but I don't know what to do for breakfast. My favorite breakfast is half a cantelope or canary melon but I'm iffy on eating that now.
Any tips or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Scrambled tofu is a good high protein/low carb breakfast. Lots of recipes online.

Quinoa (high protein) can also be good - here's a recipe for mushroom quinoa breakfast: https://pennyveguk.wordpress.com/201...-quinoa-vegan/
#3 Old 06-02-2017, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Breakfasts on a vegan diet can be mushroom, toast, and tomato; cereal; fruit.

So I suppose you have to do more fruit and veg and more whole grains and less junk/processed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-02-2017, 03:36 PM

You could try looking up recipes to make your own "meat" subs like with Seitan and things so that you're not tempted to eat the store bought subs. But also, do you like avocado any? You could incorporate that into breakfast as well and just add some pepper or no-salt seasoning if you don't like it plain. I usually eat mine on a bagel with vegan cream cheese, but since you need low carbs that wouldn't work. Surely there's low carb breads or the like out there that you could put that on. I also sometimes like to top it with tomatoes, too.
#5 Old 06-02-2017, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Look into lifestyle as well as diet. Finding ways to lower stress- meditation, yoga, daily exercise, walks.
There are herbs and supplements that can help. Hibiscus tea is first to come to mind, as I found out personally having naturally low blood pressure! I researched it and told others who do have elavated blood pressure. They told their doctors who agreed--like, why didn't their doctors tell them first???

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how...ure-with-diet/

Add things like ground flax to green smoothies. I get at least a tablespoon a day
Walnuts
You may want to try an algae DHA supplement as some people don't make it as well on their own from the omega 3-6-9 ratio. I take the vitacost brand as it is cost effective, and I feel it helps
Berries
Beans greens, tempeh, tofu, lentils, mushrooms, onions....

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 06-03-2017, 07:27 AM

Sounds like you need to include beans, lentils, chickpeas, wholegrains in your diet instead of meat subs which are heavily processed. Have you tried looking up healthy recipes online? As a start you can use lentils and beans in things like spag bol, chilli, cottage pie, risotto. You could make wholesome soups like minestrone using beans and brown rice. Try to avoid white rice and pasta as they are processed. You could use a variety of grains like millet and quinoa. I often eat chilli with millet instead of rice for a change.
Emma JC likes this.
#7 Old 06-03-2017, 07:32 AM

Oh and breakfast. ..try soaking oats overnight in milk and adding chopped fruit nuts coconut and a spoon of almond butter. You would probably need to go easy on the nuts and coconut though. Aine Carlins recipe books have great ideas for breakfast which you could adjust accordingly.
Emma JC likes this.
#8 Old 06-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestFaery View Post
I went vegetarian nearly 4 years ago to help with cholesterol and high blood pressure issues; I resolved the cholesterol issues but my high blood pressure persists.
My doctor is now requiring me to follow a 'low carb, low sugar, low salt' diet after my AC1 levels showed higher than she wanted. I'm not pre-diabetic but how she worded it made me believe I may be close to it.
When I switched to a meat-free lifestyle, I relied heavily on meat substitutes(( seriously, veggie sausage with pancakes for breakfast, soy chicken wrap for lunch and a veggie burger for dinner was typical for me)) but recently I've cut them out to only having 1 pack in my freezer for a back up, so hopefully that cut out a lot of salt. Though, I'm at a loss of what to plan for my meals now. I was thinking of soups and salads but I don't know what to do for breakfast. My favorite breakfast is half a cantelope or canary melon but I'm iffy on eating that now.
Any tips or suggestions?

The American Diabetes Association does not recommend that people severely restrict their carbohydrates. In fact, the American Diabetes Association specifically recommends that people eat carbohydrate-rich whole foods: beans, citrus fruit, sweet potatoes, berries, and whole grains: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...loc=ff-slabnav

Diabetes UK (England) has stated that there is no consistent evidence that low-carb diets are more effective than other healthy diets for the prevention / control of type 2 diabetes: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Professi...with-diabetes/

It's excellent that your doctor is encouraging you to reduce your intake of processed sugar and salt, but her recommendation to avoid carbohydrates generally (rather than avoid processed carbohydrates specifically) does not agree with the recommendations of the American Diabetes Association or Diabetes UK.

Because your continuing health is evidently at risk, I would encourage you to make 1 or 2 appointments with a Registered Dietitian who specializes in vegetarian nutrition and in diabetes nutrition. They can quickly help you to plan a delicious vegetarian diet that supports your health goals.

In the United States, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through this website: http://www.eatright.org . Just click on the "Find an Expert" button, located in the upper-right-hand portion of the webpage.

In the U.K., you can find a local Registered Dietitian on the Freelance Dietitians website: http://www.freelancedietitians.org/

In New Zealand, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through the Dietitians New Zealand website: http://dietitians.org.nz/find-a-dietitian/

In Canada, you can find a local Registered Dietitian at the Dietitians of Canada website: http://www.dietitians.ca/Find-a-Dietitian.aspx .

In the Nederlands, you can find a local Registered Dietitian at http://www.nvdietist.nl/ .
Spudulika, BlueMts and Emma JC like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#9 Old 06-03-2017, 11:34 AM

I do think that a lot of people including many nutritionists are quick to demonise carbs these days. I know a few people can be sensitive to all grains not just gluten and that's fair enough but for most people they are a very healthy and even necessary part of the diet. I have issues with my blood sugar (not diabetes, but hypoglycemia) and having regular meals consisting of starchy whole foods works the best for me. I was a meat eater a few years ago and felt much worse on a heavy protein diet. Everyone is different though - so the advice to consult a professional, especially one sympathetic to a veggie lifestyle, is definitely sound.
Emma JC likes this.

Last edited by reikistar; 06-03-2017 at 11:37 AM.
#10 Old 06-04-2017, 09:33 PM

Thank you guys for all of the responses and advice! I didn't want to completely cut out carbs, moreso cutback on how much I was eating.

Quote:
Sounds like you need to include beans, lentils, chickpeas, wholegrains in your diet instead of meat subs which are heavily processed. Have you tried looking up healthy recipes online? As a start you can use lentils and beans in things like spag bol, chilli, cottage pie, risotto. You could make wholesome soups like minestrone using beans and brown rice. Try to avoid white rice and pasta as they are processed. You could use a variety of grains like millet and quinoa. I often eat chilli with millet instead of rice for a change.
I've been working on replacing all of the heavily processed stuff; I bought some seeds and dried beans this week. I've managed to find a few healthy recipes online and after browsing around on this site. I found a low salt minestrone soup recipe but mixing in your advice, I'm swapping out the pasta for kidney beans and maybe some sliced mushrooms.
#11 Old 06-16-2017, 11:33 PM
Healthy

o I suppose you have to do more fruit and veg and more whole grains and less junk/processed.
Emma JC likes this.
#12 Old 06-17-2017, 07:24 AM
Emma JC

I agree with David3 that demonizing carbs is not correct for blood pressure or diabetic issues. I am not a doctor or a nutritionist and yet I have done a great deal of research on this topic over the past 8 months and have come to realize that most doctors have received very little, if any, nutritional training and are heavily influenced by big pharma.

There is a website where you can find a plant-based doctor (not able yet to post links so you will have to type it in yourself) plantbaseddoctors dot org and it also list dieticians, nutrition educators, pharmacists etc.

It seems to be mostly for the United States and there are some from Canada, Western Europe and a few other places in the world. If you google the following " doctors who are whole food plant based " you will find a ton of information provided by Dr Barnard Dr Esselstyn Dr McDougall and the like.

My best advice is research research research - watch videos, read books like How Not to Die, The Starch Solution, The Cheese Trap, and so many others.

There are so many great things to eat that are whole foods and not processed. Vegans who eat lots of oils and processed foods can be just as unhealthy as anyone on a regular western diet.

Oatmeal with berries, banana, a few nuts and sprinkled with flax meal for breakfast.
Delicious homemade simple bean soups with potatoes and carrots and onions and broccoli etc for lunches, a side salad with simple dressing (hemp seeds, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, spices you like).
Dinners can also incorporate beans, rice, vegetables, whole grain pasta, or sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, greens.

Have you heard of Andrew from Australia (spudfit) who did a potato diet for a whole year? I am not recommending this to anyone, without medical supervision, however, it is worth noting that it solved almost every physical and mental issue that he had and the 'carbs' were beneficial to him and not harmful.

So many good suggestions for you from so many caring people, what a wonderful place to hang out and I am grateful that I found this forum.

Have a great Saturday! Emma JC
Spudulika likes this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based
for the animals, for the environment and for health (plus it's delicious)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Find a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page