Sore Eyes - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-11-2017, 02:09 PM

Unhappy Sore Eyes

Hi there, i currently eat an almost vegan diet (3 years) BUT i eat duck eggs from a local farm because i can't tolerate B12 supplements and duck eggs are surprisingly high in B12 (1 a day saw my B12 levels go back into normal range.) I know that means i'm not a vegan, but i don't know what you call a vegan that doesn't consume any dairy products but consumes eggs!

With that out the way i'd really appreciate some feedback from this forum about whether any of you have experienced sore eyes since adopting a vegetarian or vegan diet?

My eyes feel CONSTANTLY sore and they are bloodshot and grey to look at, almost like they have shrunk into their sockets? My doctor has run all the usual tests but can't find anything in my results that would explain it.

They've been this way for quite a while now and i've tried all sorts of things like, increasing my consumption of flax and chia for Omega 3s, increasing my consumption of iodized salt for iodine, because you sometimes here about Omega 3s and Iodine having a role to play in good eye health.

Anyway would be great to hear any advice/stories people might have in relation to vegan and vegetarian diets and eye health.

Thanks alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you getting enough sleep?

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 05-11-2017, 02:48 PM

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Are you getting enough sleep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-11-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhothehornet View Post
Hi there, i currently eat an almost vegan diet (3 years) BUT i eat duck eggs from a local farm because i can't tolerate B12 supplements and duck eggs are surprisingly high in B12 (1 a day saw my B12 levels go back into normal range.) I know that means i'm not a vegan, but i don't know what you call a vegan that doesn't consume any dairy products but consumes eggs!

With that out the way i'd really appreciate some feedback from this forum about whether any of you have experienced sore eyes since adopting a vegetarian or vegan diet?

My eyes feel CONSTANTLY sore and they are bloodshot and grey to look at, almost like they have shrunk into their sockets? My doctor has run all the usual tests but can't find anything in my results that would explain it.

They've been this way for quite a while now and i've tried all sorts of things like, increasing my consumption of flax and chia for Omega 3s, increasing my consumption of iodized salt for iodine, because you sometimes here about Omega 3s and Iodine having a role to play in good eye health.

Anyway would be great to hear any advice/stories people might have in relation to vegan and vegetarian diets and eye health.

Thanks alot

You'd be an ovo-vegetarian. As far as your eyes, have you been tested for allergies?

Vegan: because I'm being the change I wish to see in the world
#5 Old 05-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

In your other post you state that you don't tolerate taking supplements--in what way?

Not everyone converts the ratio of 3-6-9 to make DHA. I find I function better when I take a algae DHA/EPA, so I've been taking it daily

Silk has a soy milk that has 36 grams DHA, and there are other foods that include it. I've wondered if there's not a powdered algae you could add to food like kelp

Have your eyes always been like that? Do you use the artificial tears drops?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 05-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Bandit

Do you drink alcohol every day or more than a few glasses when you do?

I've never had a problem with this being vegan as long as I sleep, the only thing I can think of is a hangover, or drinking so frequently that you don't recover.

If you live in a sunny climate wear sunglasses. That could also cause eye issues due to bright light and UV rays.

And I agree with Silva about Omega 3s. Some people are fine with flax or walnut or chia, others need supplements or a combination of both (maybe a DHA supplement once a week if you're not pregnant or under 55). Are you eating flax or walnuts, even? If you have been vegetarian for a long time, even ovo-vegetarian, you still probably need to remember to get Omega 3 from flax or chia, if your local ducks aren't fed flax.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#7 Old 05-11-2017, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Thing about duck eggs, as far as i can tell, is that they have about 4 times more omega 6 than omega 3, and are very high in cholesterol. They do not have DHA, EPA, only ALA.

Flaxseeds, otoh, are 4 times higher in omega 3 than 6.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#8 Old 05-12-2017, 02:02 AM

Thanks for replies.

- I don't drink alcohol, haven't had a drop in over three years, so definitely not caused by hangovers! LOL
- Yes i've tried consuming large amounts of both flax and chia for six months and it didn't help i'm afraid, FYI it also didn't help increase my DHA/EPA levels in my blood which was disappointing.
- I don't live in a sunny climate i'm afraid, i wish i did!
- Yes i've been tested for allergies, test came back all clear.
- Re DHA/EPA in duck eggs, i'll try to find the table again but i definitely found some research once comparing different types of eggs and eggs do contains SOME dha/epa and duck eggs contained three times more than chicken eggs.
- As for my reaction to supplements, within an hour of taking them i feel very agitated, get heart palpitations and don't sleep that night. Where as if i stay away from them that never happens. I've tried so many different brands of supplements and fortified foods and get the same reaction EVERY time, it's infuriating.
- My eyes aren't particularly dry, they're just VERY sore, so my doctor didn't really see any added benefit in giving me those synthetic tear products. He says he'd rather try and focus on finding out what's causing the problem etc.

Anyway it's reassuring not to have heard back from anyone else suffering with eye problems on a vegetarian or vegan diet. Just thought it might have had something to do with my low DHA/EPA levels.

Last edited by jhothehornet; 05-12-2017 at 02:06 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page