• 1 Post By Knowtions In Motion
  • 1 Post By Bunny123
  • 2 Post By Sidhuriel
  • 1 Post By greenmamato3
  • 1 Post By greenmamato3

#1 Old 01-29-2017, 07:42 PM
Bunny

Horrible Symptoms/ Doctor Appointment Tomorrow

Tomorrow I'm going to see my doctor. I have been having horrible symptoms for a long time. Here is the long, detailed back-story, leading up till today. Hopefully someone on her has some advice:
The winter of 2013, after being on Raw Till 4 for a whole summer, I freaked out over gaining 15lbs, and returned to my former eating disordered ways. I don't remember much from that winter, having been in a psychotic episode for most of it. I was eating next to nothing though, and had very little energy. I spent most of my time in bed. I still haven't been able to get my energy back yet, two years later. I eat a lot, now. Mostly raw, save the odd beans or rice with my dinner. I want to go completely raw. I am also no longer taking any medications for my psychotic symptoms, since they drained my energy more and made me sick.
This past summer, I started having serious stomach pains. Burning pains in my lower gut, so unbearable! I went to my doctor a few times, and even had an ultrasound, and they found nothing. These pains eventually went away. They came back in the fall, worse than ever. One night I was struggling with these pains so bad at three in the morning and I woke up to them and the room spinning. I was sweating and shaking, also fell into horrible auditory hallucinations. I called an ambulance and saw my doctor. He wouldn't take me seriously and thought I was on drugs, because I was hallucinating badly and not making much sense. He finally said it was was benign case of vertigo and sent me home with meds for the dizziness.
My last and final episode of stomach pain was so bad I thought I was dying. I've couldn't even walk and I was crying all the way to the hospital. They gave me a "pink lady", which they said was a numbing agent and antacid combined, and sent me home. The pink lady didn't help and made so stoned I couldn't even talk properly and my roommate was concerned and thought I was on drugs.
I haven't had stomach pains since. I cut out legumes and grains, save the odd bit oatmeal when I run out of food, while waiting to get paid. I've been eating almost 100% raw. Just lots of fruits and greens. I have at least 2 avocadoes a day, and sometimes sunflower seeds, so I guess I eat quite a bit of fat. I don't eat processed food or sugar, I don't smoke, drink alcohol, or caffeine. I only drink filtered water. Since my last ER trip over stomach pains, the following symptoms have started slowly and gotten unbearable:

My hair is falling out in large amounts
I'm always freezing cold or really hot
I sweat a lot in my underarms, even when I'm cold
My Keretosis Polaris (skin condition) is worsening
I am always fatigued
I get extremely dizzy and tired after eating
I have to nap after eating
I am often constipated
My skin is breaking out
My brain feels like mud (no other way to describe it)
I get weird pressure sensations in my head
I can't think/ control my thinking
I can't focus
I can't hold a conversation for very long
I dissociate often
My days go by so fast, and I can't remember them
I have to try really hard to remember the last hour
I always crash and need a nap in the evening
I have occasional auditory or visual hullucinations, once again
I am losing grip with reality
I'm often depressed
I have very little motivation
My body seems to struggle digesting my meals
Waking up in the morning is like waking out of a coma
I struggle getting out of bed

These symptoms seem to be a combination of mental and physical problems combined. If anyone has any input, I would love to hear it. I see my doctor tomorrow, and I know he's going to give me a hard time for being a vegan. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Sorry this post is so long, but I felt the details were important. Also, if it helps, I am a 22 year old female. I'm 5'5 and weigh around 135lbs. A little on the heavy side for my body type, but not overweight. Not sure why this is happening.

Last edited by Bunny123; 01-29-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2017, 08:55 PM
Peace

It seems like you have a serious underlying medical condition to me.

I am not an expert, so I would advice you to take the list of symptoms you just wrote down to the doctor when you see them. If they do not think that is serious, go and look for a second opinion.

I have Crohns disease and it took me ten years to find a doctor who was willing to try more than just say ''oh I guess you have IBS'', so it can be hard to be taken seriously. But it is worth fighting for.

YOU are worth fighting for.

So go in there and don't let them send you away with anything but a thorough investigation in your physical health. Physical health problems can cause mental health problems too, especially when they go on too long.

Good luck!

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#3 Old 01-30-2017, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

That is far more serious than anyone should be asked to guess.
You keep talking about raw but don't say that you've ever tried an elimination diet. Too much raw vegetables are the only food that causes me distress. One raw zucchini will cause me pain and bloat for hours afterward. Avocado causes pain and eventually vomiting.

You don't say where you live, but you need a team of physicians to look into all your symptoms holistically

Please don't try to self diagnose or rely on others experiences.

I urge you to stop eating raw for now.

How are you supporting yourself? Do you have family or support?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-30-2017, 07:33 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

I made the painful mistake of trying to dive fully into a raw food lifestyle straight from the Standard American Diet after suffering a gall bladder attack, thinking the cleaner I got and the faster I could do it, the more relief I'd feel, however, I suffered greatly.

I had to learn to reel it back in and start again more wisely by practicing slowly transitioning to the healthier plant-based options, along with having regular blood work done by my doc to ensure I'm not totally screwing myself up, and learning which supplements and nutrients my body needed in addition to my new food choices. I became my own full-time job in figuring self out, and it's an ongoing process.

I learned that our digestive system has to work even harder at trying to process foods in a raw state, and that how we choose to combine them can make or break our day. It needs to be able to have a break to heal and be allowed to function as it's meant to before being put to task like that. I also learned that the cleaner my body gets internally, the more sensitive I am to external circumstances. I learned more about food transit times and food combining.

I also learned that while there are helpful things that may be able to be applied to all in some form or fashion, each individual is vastly different and requires different things based on their specific biology. What works for another will not work for me, vice versa.

I had to pull from many spaces to create my own path. For a while, I felt as if I was failing miserably at even trying as I read through the stories of others who'd done it without any problem, then I remembered it took me nearly half a century to get in the shape I'm in now, and it wasn't going to be a swift exit out of it, by any means.

Wishing you wellness and much relief.

Edited to add: I still don't eat fully raw, and not sure I'll strive to make it to that point any time soon, if ever again. It's been two years, so far, since I changed my eating habits to plant-based/vegan.
Bunny123 likes this.

Last edited by Knowtions In Motion; 01-30-2017 at 07:35 AM.
#5 Old 01-30-2017, 11:20 AM
Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
That is far more serious than anyone should be asked to guess.
You keep talking about raw but don't say that you've ever tried an elimination diet. Too much raw vegetables are the only food that causes me distress. One raw zucchini will cause me pain and bloat for hours afterward. Avocado causes pain and eventually vomiting.

You don't say where you live, but you need a team of physicians to look into all your symptoms holistically

Please don't try to self diagnose or rely on others experiences.

I urge you to stop eating raw for now.

How are you supporting yourself? Do you have family or support?
I have been eating mostly raw for quite a long time, yes. I haven't tried any sort of elimination diet. The have eliminated a few things that seem to cause problems for me. Most spices, especially garlic, give me a horrible mucus reaction, and sometimes make me lose my voice for a while. I quit all spices, except for cinnamon, which I put a little of in some of my smoothies.
I have also eliminated grains, as they tend to bloat me and make me even more exhausted.
I can't handle sodium it makes me sick and bloated, even small amounts of pink salt. I get my sodium by breaking up a few kelp sheets into my salads.
Honestly, the less I eat the better I feel. And that can't be healthy for me...
I live in Canada, and I saw my doctor this morning. Tomorrow, we have to run all sorts of test.
I currently work a seasonal green house job, and right now we're not in season. I am still on gov. benefits I was put on after my last hospitalization and being declared unfit to work. Trying to get off that, right now...

I might decrease the amount of raw meals, to be safe for now. Also, yes I realize I shouldn't be self diagnosing. I am just looking for some other opinions/ideas from th vegan community, or maybe some people who have been through similar situations.
Thanks for responding.
Sidhuriel likes this.

Last edited by Bunny123; 01-30-2017 at 11:23 AM.
#6 Old 01-30-2017, 05:01 PM
Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny123 View Post
Honestly, the less I eat the better I feel. And that can't be healthy for me...
I live in Canada, and I saw my doctor this morning. Tomorrow, we have to run all sorts of test.
I currently work a seasonal green house job, and right now we're not in season. I am still on gov. benefits I was put on after my last hospitalization and being declared unfit to work. Trying to get off that, right now...

I might decrease the amount of raw meals, to be safe for now. Also, yes I realize I shouldn't be self diagnosing. I am just looking for some other opinions/ideas from th vegan community, or maybe some people who have been through similar situations.
Thanks for responding.
I am glad you are realizing that the feeling that if you eat as little as possible it's best for you is a warning sign. I have that when my Crohns flares up majorly.

I am very glad that your doctor is taking this seriously, and I hope that you will get clear results and good help. It sounds like a serious issue.

Right now I would advice not to focus on raw, but on literally anything your body doesn't want to throw out.

When I have flare issues I can not eating anything high in fibre, and a raw diet is extremely high in fibre. For now I would slow down and see what happens to your digestion when you eat some easier to digest foods like cooked potatoes and smoothies.

I know it could be anything and doesn't have to be anything like my illness at all, but GI issues really can be very debilitating and aren't a good match with raw food.
Spudulika and Bunny123 like this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#7 Old 01-31-2017, 01:36 PM

I would wonder about Thyroid issues.
Bunny123 likes this.

Last edited by greenmamato3; 01-31-2017 at 01:40 PM.
#8 Old 02-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Bunny

Yes, it just sucks that the only thing my body accepts right now is carbs and hot foods (Because I'm always so cold). Carbs make me want to eat more, and it hard to eat anything, plus carbs give me horrible blood sugar spikes and dips and I function better low-carb.
I also have a backpacking trip coming up in a couple of weeks, so this isn't helping much.
I suppose there's not much I can do about that now.
Thanks for your input.
#9 Old 02-01-2017, 01:03 PM
Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamato3 View Post
I would wonder about Thyroid issues.
I had a blood test, urine test, and an ECG.
My doctor says they'll be checking everything, he did mention thyroid, too.
P.S. My mom has thyroid issues and has to take testosterone and a couple things. Can these issues be hereditary?
#10 Old 02-01-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny123 View Post
I had a blood test, urine test, and an ECG.
My doctor says they'll be checking everything, he did mention thyroid, too.
P.S. My mom has thyroid issues and has to take testosterone and a couple things. Can these issues be hereditary?
Thyroid issues are definitely hereditary!
Bunny123 likes this.

Vegan: because I'm being the change I wish to see in the world

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page